Bowling?

GreenTexan13

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Beat UTSA and you can put them permanently in the rearview mirror for this season as the Mean Green pursues a CUSA West Division title.  Now if Rice can knock off La Tech on the 29th Oct the Mean Green will be in the driver seat for the division title.

Between UNT, USM & LaT, we all have 1 loss in the conference and we haven't played either of them yet.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we already in the driver's seat?  We just need to win.  We don't need any help.

• Upvote 5

There are currently 20 teams already eligible.  

There are 10 teams that must win out to become eligible and 3 teams already ineligible. 

So that leaves 60 available spaces with realistically 98 teams still in the running. 

Of those 98 teams, 36 sit at 3-4 or 2-5.  

Remaining, then, would be 62 teams sitting at 4-3 or 5-2, and they've got to play each other.  

We win, we go.  

Do not interpret this as my only wanting six wins.  I want nine wins, but I look at milestones and thresholds too. 

• Upvote 5

Take the balance of our schedule, uh, "one game at a time?"   Of course, when has anyone heard of a team taking them  "2 games at at time?" 

I think we will need 7 wins to get a bowl game.  Others on GMG.com have expressed same. 

So.....let's take em' one game at a time until we hit 7 & then lets celebrate in this most surprising season the 4 plus decades I've watched & followed Mean Green football.  Pinch me & let me see if I'm dreaming.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

If I'm reading the tracker on reddit correctly, CUSA is the only conference with zero eligible teams after this weekend. 

CUSA this year is a couple of pretty good teams almost assured of going bowling, a couple of awful teams with no chance, and a big clump of middling teams.

If the middling teams all beat up on each other, then it's going to be hard to get enough bowl eligible teams.  Perfect example of that is the UTSA/UTEP game last night.  UTSA is was sitting at 2-1 in the conference and UTEP was 0-3.  UTSA really needed that win to better their chances at a bowl game.  They had a chance to raise themselves out of the middling muck, but instead they fell right back in.

That is more or less what we face next week in San Antonio.  Win and we are 5-3 overall, and more importantly 3-1 in conference.  Lose and we fall right back into the middle pack with shaky bowl chances.  

If you want to day dream about winning CUSA West, then we for sure need to win next week because LaTech is playing Rice and will most likely be 4-1 in conference, and USM is playing Marshall at home and will most likely be 3-1.  

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

CUSA this year is a couple of pretty good teams almost assured of going bowling, a couple of awful teams with no chance, and a big clump of middling teams.

If the middling teams all beat up on each other, then it's going to be hard to get enough bowl eligible teams.  Perfect example of that is the UTSA/UTEP game last night.  UTSA is was sitting at 2-1 in the conference and UTEP was 0-3.  UTSA really needed that win to better their chances at a bowl game.  They had a chance to raise themselves out of the middling muck, but instead they fell right back in.

That is more or less what we face next week in San Antonio.  Win and we are 5-3 overall, and more importantly 3-1 in conference.  Lose and we fall right back into the middle pack with shaky bowl chances.  

If you want to day dream about winning CUSA West, then we for sure need to win next week because LaTech is playing Rice and will most likely be 4-1 in conference, and USM is playing Marshall at home and will most likely be 3-1.  

It is still nearly mind blowing we are here at this point in the season and talking about this with all seriousness. Such a change from last year I think I am going to start blocking out last season. I sure hope I am not about to wake up.

22 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Where are all the 2-10 and 3-9 naysayers now!?!?

And let's please not wait until UTEP to #Hit6. Get to six as soon as possible.

We are all in shock on what an actual f***ing ball coach can do when he can motivate players and plays the best players

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Where are all the 2-10 and 3-9 naysayers now!?!?

And let's please not wait until UTEP to #Hit6. Get to six as soon as possible.

I don't know that I actually posted a prediction on here, but I probably would have gone with 3-9, maybe, just maybe 4-8.    In all honesty, I don't think I was being a naysayer I thought I was being an optimist.

9 hours ago, Moobs said:

Between UNT, USM & LaT, we all have 1 loss in the conference and we haven't played either of them yet.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we already in the driver's seat?  We just need to win.  We don't need any help.

Yep.  If we win out and LA Tech wins out except for the game against NT, our records would be even, but North Texas would have won the head to head. All others in the West would have worse conference records. 

On 10/22/2016 at 3:07 PM, Withers940 said:

I can legitimately see us getting two wins against one of teams below:

UTSA

UTEP

USM

La Tech

With u offering up these 4.. I know UTSA and UTEP have been struggling/ adjusting to a new staff..

what about USM and LAT, how are they doing? I thought these guys were usually legit teams year in BS out like we should be. 

ALso, how huge could it be if we win vs UTSA, with Nov5 on homecoming we have a chance to be bowl eligible, after the blow out with Portland state in aft years home coming.. 

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Actually, winning the east is impossible

Bowls should not even be a focus.  This team still is in the hunt for the conference championship.  WKU away is a big assignment, but if the defense keeps playing as they have and the offense gets a little better; winning the East is far from impossible.   

Yes, that is going to take a little extra effort and a few rule changes. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Bowls should not even be a focus.  This team still is in the hunt for the conference championship.  WKU away is a big assignment, but if the defense keeps playing as they have and the offense gets a little better; winning the West is far from impossible.   

I agree with that mindset completely. I know I'm an optimist, but conference championships, and slipping into the top 25 are my short-term goals. A bowl berth is just the gravy that comes along with those things. Hey, at least I didn't mention a national championship run. At least not yet (lol).

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Bowls should not even be a focus.  This team still is in the hunt for the conference championship.  WKU away is a big assignment, but if the defense keeps playing as they have and the offense gets a little better; winning the West is far from impossible.   

I agree

This team and coaching staff have been working their ass off changing this program around. We can beat any of these 5 teams that are left on the schedule and not have to sit here and settle for "hitsix, Bahamas Bowl...oh I'm a little worried so I'm going to write a long blog about it" Let's take it week by week and let's aim to win the whole damn thing! If we win this Saturday against UTSA, we better packed the game with loud ass fans against LA Tech for Homecoming.

15 hours ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

FWIW, CBS does not include us in their bowl predections :

and if you read the article, this is them basically saying UNT will not have 6 wins

on the flip side...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17864836/college-football-bowl-projections-2016-season-week-9

Popeyes Bahamas Bowl

Thomas Robinson Stadium, Nassau, Bahamas
Dec. 23, 1 p.m. (ESPN)

Schlabach: Old Dominion vs. Tulsa
McMurphy: North Texas vs. Tulsa

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl

Cotton Bowl Stadium, Dallas
Dec. 27, noon (ESPN)

Schlabach: Indiana vs. North Texas
McMurphy: Army vs. Louisiana Tech