Scheduling Tweet from Wren Baker: Syracuse?

Side Show Joe

13 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Would you consider the fan base for Syracuse to be bigger than the fan base for Marshall?  We saw what they brought to Apogee.  

Keep Lamar on the schedule pros:

• get the Win (not always a guarantee but much better chance than ANY p5 we bring in)
  • let your starters potentially rest in the second half
  • allow your backups to get in game experience
  • discover any areas that need to be sured up while still winning the game
  • get 1 game closer to bowl eligibility
  • extra practice time when you become bowl eligible
  • national recognition when playing in bowl game

Keep Lamar cons:

• GET BEAT-totally unexpected, EMBARRASSING, and tremendously damaging

Add any p5 program pros:

• Potentially an upset victory for the mean green (our luck the p5 team would have a 1-11 season so the victory wouldnt seem like such a big deal)
  • Supposed increase in attendance (jury is still out)

Add any p5 cons:

• get beat-not unexpected, disappointing but not damaging

Please add add to either list i am just curious on what the pros and cons are!  Would love for somebody to start a cons list.

26 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Because without:

you lose 66-7.

That doesn't answer the question.  Michigan lost to a non-BCS at home as well.  Kansas has lost. Iowa State has lost.  Iowa, this year, at home lost to one.  Texas A&M lost to SW Louisiana (Louisiana-Lafayette...now, Louisiana) in 1996.  It can happen.  But, the vast majority of schools still schedule them.

So, again, why is it only a cop out for us and not anyone else?  We schedule the same way everyone does.  And, have tired a variety of scheduling patterns ever since we came back from I-AA level.

If we win, nobody cares what the schedule is.  If we lose, everyone is simply looking for reasons to complain about it. 

Scheduling is fine and on par with what everyone else does.  The future schedules set us up nicely to grow, which we need at this point.

There seems to be this weird notion we can do things places like Oklahoma and Alabama can't even do - buy P5 home games at the drop of a hat.  

OU was forced to go to UTEP in 2012 because of a scheduling snafu, not other school would take OU's money for a home game that year.  No one.  Alabama has to plays kickoff games to get decent P5 OOCs.  

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

We have three more years of schedule FCS, right?  Lamar, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian if I recall.  Does this whole thread imply that those may not happen now?

(Sorry, been out of town and out of the loop)

Yes.  Wren Baker tweeted a schedule without Lamar, but didn't announce any contract, and there's nothing out of Syracuse either.  Possibly just a scenario they are trying to fit in.

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

So, again, why is it only a cop out for us and not anyone else? 

We (and our peers) are so much closer in competition to FCS than guys like Alabama.

Just play our peers and save half a million.

Additionally, teams like Texas A&M and Iowa (NDSU, man) can overcome those losses. We start back up from rock bottom.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

That doesn't answer the question.  Michigan lost to a non-BCS at home as well.  Kansas has lost. Iowa State has lost.  Iowa, this year, at home lost to one.  Texas A&M lost to SW Louisiana (Louisiana-Lafayette...now, Louisiana) in 1996.  It can happen.  But, the vast majority of schools still schedule them.

So, again, why is it only a cop out for us and not anyone else?  We schedule the same way everyone does.  And, have tired a variety of scheduling patterns ever since we came back from I-AA level.

If we win, nobody cares what the schedule is.  If we lose, everyone is simply looking for reasons to complain about it. 

Scheduling is fine and on par with what everyone else does.  The future schedules set us up nicely to grow, which we need at this point.

There seems to be this weird notion we can do things places like Oklahoma and Alabama can't even do - buy P5 home games at the drop of a hat.  

OU was forced to go to UTEP in 2012 because of a scheduling snafu, not other school would take OU's money for a home game that year.  No one.  Alabama has to plays kickoff games to get decent P5 OOCs.  

We have not scheduled the way everybody else does until now. RV turning down P5 schools at Apogee was dumb. It was a scared tactic to avoid a color different than green in the stands. If he was scared at that prospect then it means it was a P5 team with the ability to bring 10-15K fans. Pathetic. The good news is that Wren is trying to do something about the joke schedule RV saddled us with. 

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

By "change," you mean go back to the way we used to schedule:
2007, Oklahoma and Arkansas
2008, Kansas State and LSU
2010, Clemson and Kansas State
2011, Alabama and Indiana
2012, LSU and Kansas State (again)

Only one of those games was at home and none replaced a FCS game.

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

And the person that scheduled those is where now?

I don't get it. RV was wrong either way. RV schedules P5s, thats bad. RV schedules FCS, we get beat, thats really bad. Which do you all prefer?

No good can come from a win over FCS other than a hollow victory. I'd rather play a bottom feeder G5 than an FCS school. 

The risk of negative publicity for losing to a FCS school is way worse to me than the risk of losing to a low-level P5.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

There were no P5s when Boise beat OU or Oregon State...it was BCS, non-BCS.

We've already had scheduling where we played multiple BCS/P5s in a season.  If the new AD doesn't mind going down that failed road again...more power to him.

It was AQ BCS and Non AQ BCS, but everyone in FBS/1A was part of the BCS.

4 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

thats not true! in 2004 they beat Oregon State in the same season as the OU victory they again beat Oregon State!

I forgot about the Oregon State victories.  But still they mainly played G5 and FCS.  That is our path to success also.

25 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

We have not scheduled the way everybody else does until now. RV turning down P5 schools at Apogee was dumb. It was a scared tactic to avoid a color different than green in the stands. If he was scared at that prospect then it means it was a P5 team with the ability to bring 10-15K fans. Pathetic. The good news is that Wren is trying to do something about the joke schedule RV saddled us with. 

I wonder if Mac had any say in this, protecting his precious home record because he sure as hell couldn't beat anyone on the road.

"Hey, who do yall play this week?" "Syracuse, how bout yall?"

"We play Lamar."

"Oh, yall are in the southland conference, right?"

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

6-6 is BEYOND acceptable for where NT is now.

6-6 with a bowl appearance after a 1-11 season will absolutely get us recruits.

6-6 would be acceptable to UNT look at TCU they went 4-8 in 2013 the next year they went 14-1 and smoked Ole Miss in the peach bowl, granted that is TCU but going 6-6 after a 1-11 season last year is a big improvement and gives me hope for next year GMG 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

We (and our peers) are so much closer in competition to FCS than guys like Alabama.

Just play our peers and save half a million.

Additionally, teams like Texas A&M and Iowa (NDSU, man) can overcome those losses. We start back up from rock bottom.

So, anyone we lose to, stop scheduling games at that level?  If we lose to G5s, stop scheduling G5s because we're not good yet?  If we lose to FCS, stop scheduling FSC?  If we lose to P5, stop scheduling P5?

It doesn't make any sense.  We have a rare FCS loss, and you throw the whole thing out just because we're not Michigan, A&M, or Iowa?

Again, our schedule is comparable to nearly everyone else out there.  It's not radically different, and never has been.  Non-BCS/G5...all of them are in the same boat as us, scheduling the same as us.  They occasionally get a P5 in, but its the exception,not the rule.

As a result, you have the Houstons and Rices moving games to NRG to get bigger name opponents.  You want a nice P5, pick up the phone and call JerryWorld.  Somehow, it's okay for Rice and Houston, but not for us.

People here, the complain just to complain.  It used to be "stop scheduling so many BCS schools."  Done.  Get us some mid-major home and homes.  Done.  Get us a P5. Done.  Get us FCS schools.  Done. 

Then, complain about each one later on.  The root cause of the complaints is the losses.  No matter who was on the schedule the last 12 of 13 seasons, we've lost.  

I guess people get tired of criticizing the on the field performance, so they then invent the scheduling dilemma in their minds just to change things up a bit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Since 1AA/FCS was created, we have lost a total of TWICE to an 1AA/FCS team. We lost to Alabama-Birmingham the year we transitioned back to 1A and didn't yet have the full compliment of scholarships. And last year when the team quit on the coach. As long as we avoid NDSU and a couple of others, we have no reason to be worried about FCS teams. 

A majority of FBS teams play FCS teams. Bill Snyder said it was the best way to get your team used to winning. Boise used FCS teams to create the winning record they needed to build their reputation. 

The AAC is a G5 conference to which we aspire. All 12 teams play FCS schools this year, mostly in their first or second games.

When we lose out on a chance at an access bowl because one of our wins was an FCS team, then we can talk.  

• Upvote 3

Consider this as well...

...look at the 2016 schedules of the AAC schools - they are identical to ours.  Identical.  http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/ncaa-football-schedules.php

This is a conference, some here say, "We want to be there.  Our goal should be to get there or the MWC." 

Okay, fine.  How do the schools in that conference schedule OOC?  Exactly the same way we do!

Every one of them scheduled a home game with an FCS.  Everyone one of them played at least one P5 on the road...exception was Houston playing OU at NRG because OU wouldn't go to Houston's little on campus stadium.

So, why all the pretending that we're doing something that is damnably different?  We're not.

We have an FCS game that allows us to win, and get us closer to a rare bowl season...and some of us are complaining about it? 

Why can't we ever have a fanbase that simply enjoys success when the team is having success?  Christ.  If you ask me, that's the biggest obstacle the new AD faces.  Not scheduling, not coaching, not attendance, not finance, not helmets logos, not jerseys, not which f*cking shade of green will we use now and in the future, but how do you make people happy who complain while in the throes of success?

We should change our nickname to the Mean Asterisks.  Every time we have success, we have fans who want to downplay it:
-Darrell Dickey won four straight conference titles!  Yeah, but the Sun Belt was weak back then, anyone could have done that (even though no one else did!)
-We go to a bowl game and win it in 2013 with a record setting QB!  Yeah, but he sucked and we just got lucky because the defense was so good.
-During the 60s and 70s we regularly put players in the NFL!  Yeah, but no one even remembers those guys, so it doesn't count.  Only old guys from Texas and Alabama and OU count for their histories.  Our history begins when I graduated from UNT less than 10 years ago...and, so we've sucked for as long as I can remember and that's all that counts!

I mean, really.

35 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Since 1AA/FCS was created, we have lost a total of TWICE to an 1AA/FCS team. We lost to Alabama-Birmingham the year we transitioned back to 1A and didn't yet have the full compliment of scholarships. And last year when the team quit on the coach. As long as we avoid NDSU and a couple of others, we have no reason to be worried about FCS teams. 

A majority of FBS teams play FCS teams. Bill Snyder said it was the best way to get your team used to winning. Boise used FCS teams to create the winning record they needed to build their reputation. 

The AAC is a G5 conference to which we aspire. All 12 teams play FCS schools this year, mostly in their first or second games.

When we lose out on a chance at an access bowl because one of our wins was an FCS team, then we can talk.  

Thank you! 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

By the way, the MWC schools...look up and down their schedules.  Same as ours.  Same as AACs.  Same as just about damn near every P5 or G5 program in the country.  Only MWC exception this year was Boise State.

Everyone else...FCS schools at home, a P5 on the road. 

People complaining about Abilene Christian...Air Force hosted ACU to open this season.  Guess what, so did Fresno State in 2015...opened their season hosting Abilene Christian. 

Think AFA and Fresno State fans were handwringing because ACU, an new FCS school barely out of Division II, was their season opener? 

In 2017, MWC's New Mexico's season opener is ACU in Albuquerque.

In 2018, Big 12 Baylor's season opener is against ACU in Waco.

In 2019, we open our season against ACU - same as Fresno, Air Force, New Mexico, and BAYLOR! 

Not home openers, but ACU at Mississippi State in 2019 and Texas A&M in 2020...and, yes, at SMU in 2021.

So, we're fine.  Please, find something legitimate to complain about.

Hope to f*ck Littrell wins and stays at least a couple of years, so that we can, perhaps, finally have some success and not complain about it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

59 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

So, anyone we lose to, stop scheduling games at that level? 

51 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

What? How did y'all make that jump of me not wanting to play teams we lose to? That'd be a mighty long list, and probably a logical fallacy that I can't name.

I get that most others host FCS. But how many of them have the same two teams scheduled for the next 5 seasons that aren't actual rivalries?

Look at complete rankings every season and there are always dozens of FCS teams ranked ahead of bottom-tier FBS teams. We can schedule one of those and mix it up with the long-standing Army/SMU series.

If you want to go the "other teams do that" route, well, other teams do that (schedule poor FBS teams, not schedule more than one team for 5 seasons).

Even Baker saw it as a problem and is aiming to do some short term band-aiding.

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

The first three home games of the season featured particularly unsexy matchups against Western Kentucky, Kent State and Kentucky. Add in a mostly bad SEC slate --

You do realize this is exactly what I'm proposing? Lower tier FBS.

Alabama does it.

• Upvote 3

To me, scheduling programs like Syracuse is a no-brainer. I understand some want to continue scheduling FCS programs in hopes of buying an easy win, but that isn't going to sell our program to the better recruits that we need to be signing. Those FCS match-ups also don't motivate the 300K alums we have in the DFW, or buy us respect with the local media. We have to trust that Littrell and Baker are going to get our program turned around.

To those that believe we need the FCS game to achieve bowl eligibility... If we can't get six wins between playing a C-USA schedule and SMU every season, then we will have bigger problems then debating the merits of scheduling lower P5 vs. FCS  schools.

We have to trust that our team can compete with lower tier P5 programs at Apogee. Syracuse may not bring extra fans to the game, but we should be able to draw more of our fans. Also, the local media should give us better coverage for hosting Syracuse. Let's be honest, the DFW media gave us better press when we hosted K State and beat Indiana. I'd like to remind people that we came close to beating K State the same season Dodge was fired and we went 3-9, and we finished 5-7 the season we beat Indiana. I believe we would have a fair chance of beating Syracuse at Apogee.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 6

I'm going to weigh in on the side of being in favor of winning agaisint a FCS, instead of losing to a larger program, FOR NOW.  And I repeat, FOR NOW.  It's taken forever, but we've finally burned down the entire program, AD included.  We're all lovin it, but this thing is being rebuilt from the ground up, which has needed to happen.   Playing an FCS=Increases chances of win=increases chance of hit 6=increases chance of bowling=increases chances of winning said bowl=Allows a recruiter to say to a potential recruit "UNT won a bowl game this past year". That very well can make the difference in a desired recruit signing or not signing.  Seems trivial, but it's sometimes that simple to a talented 18 year old and his parents narrowing his choices to 2-3 schools.   I'm all for bigger/better OOC team in Apogee... I loved seeing Houston, Indiana play here!  But before we start framing the house, let's make sure we have a strong foundation to build upon first.   

• Upvote 2

Look, dumbass fan base, there are ways out of contracts. Baker, who is a legit AD, knows this. I wish you MFers would expect more than being crapped on consistently by your AD, but old habits die hard, don't they? 

This fan base has Stockholm syndrome so bad it isn't even funny.

I'll exit stage left before being bullied off the board again by a mod drunk with Internet power. That would be Cerebus. Doubt I'll be back. 

But, I'll leave y'all with this last thought. Try to expect what every other major Texas university expects. Try to EXPECT MORE!

Harry, call me if Wren Baker turns into Rick Villareal (probably, hopefully, never happens) Until then, keep pretending everything is fine and just being happy with the crumbs thrown your way.

Adios, Mofos. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 9

1 minute ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

There is a double standard. It's Harry's board, and he can do with it what he likes, but I'm out for now. When a mod bullies someone, it sends the message that it's fine for others to do so. And when  nothing is done about it, it sends the message you aren't wanted. 

Which is fine. It's Harry's board. 

See you guys at the tailgate and in the stadium.

Meanwhile, enjoy no counter opinions and a bunch of rah rah rah sis boom ba. 

Oh, and I expect Cerebus to delete these messages. Lol.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6