Scheduling Tweet from Wren Baker: Syracuse?

Side Show Joe

I don't do twitter, and have no idea how to attach one, so here is the message, with picture. After reviewing the photo, it appears Baker and crew were looking at the Schedule for Syracuse and Central Michigan in 2017.

I'm not that interested in C Michigan, but would love to host Syracuse at Apogee. The Orangmen only have 3 OOC games scheduled in 2017 (MT, C. Mich, and @LSU). Is Baker looking to buy out our Lamar game and add Syracuse to our 2017 home schedule? I hope so.

Using screen in @MeanGreenSports conf room to look at schedule options with @mosleyj22 & @mgrnpxp. Quality home non con schedule is priority

CvP9jmlUEAAolnd.jpg

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

He could be going through the ACC teams, he could be going through teams from the Northeast.  It could be a couple random teams someone suggested to him.

It's nice to see a P5 program such as 'cuse (*cough*winnable?*cough*) on his mind.  I still remember when McNabb was playing for them.

Central Michigan has no openings in their 2017 schedule. According to fbschedules.com, Syracuse doesn't have anyone scheduled for the opening week. That is when RV sandbagged us with Lamar. Seems like more then coincidence that he chose to post a picture of possibly the only P5 team we could bring to Apogee next season.

8 minutes ago, texmusic said:

Michigan State is open too.  

The Big10 teams only get 3 OOC games a year. Michigan State has no openings in 2017.

Edited by Side Show Joe

19 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Replace a probable win with a probable loss, and just to get a P5 at home?

Why would you do that?

The P5 programs bring us in for a win.

We bring in Lamar for a win... same thing.

I'll take the Cardinals instead of the Orange and hit 6.

Early in this new era, I completely agree. We need every single win we can muster up. Winning changes culture, nothing else. When we have some on the field momentum, bring in whoever. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Replace a probable win with a probable loss, and just to get a P5 at home?

Why would you do that?

The P5 programs bring us in for a win.

We bring in Lamar for a win... same thing.

I'll take the Cardinals instead of the Orange and hit 6.

There could be a difference when you're talking about being in the context of a winning season vs. a losing season.

Assuming this Mean Green train keeps getting better and we are drawing 25K+ into Apogee regularly by 2017, the question becomes: do you want to give them "just another Lamar win", or a possible win over a mid-tier P5/Big East team?

A win over Syracuse would further validate our ascension, while a win over Lamar would do nothing.  At that point, perhaps, a loss to Syracuse would not be nearly as damaging to attendance as we are used to in these losing decades.

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

The Big10 teams only get 3 OOC games a year. Michigan State has no openings in 2017.

Scheduling your bye during W1.  WTF?!?!?

:zonk:

• Upvote 7

I'm all for bringing in Syracuse. Considering our youth in many important areas, I see us as being much improved next year, and a win over them would be a serious national feather in our cap. I really don't see how a loss would have a huge negative impact on us at all. 

Also, there are quite a few New Yorkers in the DFW area, and their program has a very good overall history and following. Since the Alabama-type programs of the world won't be coming here any time soon, I think we should schedule all of the P5's in the world that are willing to show up at Apogee. Bring 'em on. 

• Upvote 5

From an IT standpoint ... looks like they just installed that TV and still need to clean up the cables while finding a new home for the picture that was on the wall.  Wren is bringing the departing into the 1990's.  Woo hoo! 

Actually, on second look, that seems to be a drop down screen for a projector in the ceiling.  I'd say this brings us into the 2000's.  Double woo hoo!

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We need to play more games against P5 at home. Period. This will help improve attendance, and will provide opportunities to have wins against meaningful opponents. P5 programs lose all the time to G5 programs when P5 travels to G5 stadium. This is the only way to garner interest in our program from a media perspective. A win against Lamar would do nothing from a big picture perspective in the development of our program. Nonetheless, every win is important from here on out...doesn't matter if FCS, G5, P5, from a simple win perspective.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This thread shows the complications with scheduling and clearly points out no schedule is going to please everyone. 

I'd love to have a home and home against 'Cuse. I'd love one against Central Michigan as well. Having one FCS game on the schedule, preferably the first game each year, is also a great way for the team to get an likely win. That's why almost every other FBS team schedules a single game against an FCS team almost every year. It is proven to help teams get going with confidence - just ask almost ANY FBS coach. We don't have to do it every year and we don't need to schedule these games a decade out, but if the first goal each year is to be bowl eligible then having an FCS team on the schedule unquestionably helps. 

By the way, there is nothing that prevents us from having seven home games if we can make the schedule work! That is how the big boys do it. 

• Upvote 4

Would you consider the fan base for Syracuse to be bigger than the fan base for Marshall?  We saw what they brought to Apogee.  

Keep Lamar on the schedule pros:

• get the Win (not always a guarantee but much better chance than ANY p5 we bring in)
  • let your starters potentially rest in the second half
  • allow your backups to get in game experience
  • discover any areas that need to be sured up while still winning the game
  • get 1 game closer to bowl eligibility
  • extra practice time when you become bowl eligible
  • national recognition when playing in bowl game

Add any p5 program pros:

• Potentially an upset victory for the mean green (our luck the p5 team would have a 1-11 season so the victory wouldnt seem like such a big deal)
  • Supposed increase in attendance (jury is still out)

Please add add to either list i am just curious on what the pros and cons are!  Would love for somebody to start a cons list.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I'm not going to go through it again, but look at what BSU did.

They played FCS and lower G5 to build their early winning seasons.  They beat no P5 team until they won the bowl game against OU.  

WIN WIN WIN.

Schedule to win.  

thats not true! in 2004 they beat Oregon State in the same season as the OU victory they again beat Oregon State!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

thats not true! in 2004 they beat Oregon State in the same season as the OU victory they again beat Oregon State!

You speaking English? lol You even got me lost and I know you! 

• Upvote 2

the above statement mentioned that Boise beat no P5 prior to beating OU but in 2004 they beat Oregon state who is a P5 school 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/68/year/2004

now i agree 100% with @Cerebus  Just win the dang football game could honestly care less! wins get the fans in as well as the recruits! then bring on the big bad p5's once we have the Johnny's and Joe's to beat them.