Why this Army Game is so important

Harry

IF Littrell and company can pull off the W against Army it would change a very concerning historical trend in North Texas football.  If Littrell wins at Army it would be only the SECOND time in 12 YEARS we have won two or more games in a row.

If you look at UNT history, or more recent history in D-I/FBS football, consistency is a problem that has continued to plague the program.

So far, in this 3-3 season we have seen North Texas win a game and follow it with a loss.   This hurts your ability to build on your reputation and success, fan support, attendance etc.

Last season 2015 we only won one game against UTSA.

In 2014 - we won 4 games and did not have one consecutive win.

2013 was the outlier, where Mac was able to put together 5 straight wins, albeit late in the season against what some say was a watered-down C-USA slate.  Even then, when given the chance to catapult the program with a C-USA Championship game spot, UNT fell to UTSA at home to end the winning streak at a very critical time.

In 2012 -- In a 4-win season, we did not have a win in consecutive weeks.

In 2011 -- We won 5-games and did not have a win in consecutive weeks.

In 2010 --- We won 3-games and did not have a win in consecutive weeks.

In 2009 -- We won 2-games and did not have a win in consecutive weeks.

In 2008 -- We won 1 game.

In 2007 -- We won 2 games and did not have a win in consecutive weeks.

In 2006 -- We won 3 games and did not have a win in consecutive weeks.

In 2005 -- We won 2 games and did not have a win in consecutive weeks.

2004 was the last of a great run under Darrell Dickey in the Sun Belt Conference where we went 7-5 and had a 7-game winning streak against conference opponents.

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

IF Littrell and company can pull off the W against Army it would change a very concerning historical trend in North Texas football.  If Littrell wins at Army it would be only the SECOND time in 12 YEARS we have won two or more games in a row.

If you look at UNT history, or more recent history in D-I/FBS football, consistency is a problem that has continued to plague the program.

So far, in this 3-3 season we have seen North Texas win a game and follow it with a loss.   This hurts your ability to build on your reputation and success, fan support, attendance etc.

2013 was the outlier, where Mac was able to put together 5 straight wins, albeit late in the season against what some say was a watered-down C-USA slate.  Even then, when given the chance to catapult the program with a C-USA Championship game spot, UNT fell to UTSA at home to end the winning streak at a very critical time.

2004 was the last of a great run under Darrell Dickey in the Sun Belt Conference where we went 7-5 and had a 7-game winning streak against conference opponents.

We will be fine, no need to dwell on the past.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

As far as I'm concerned, every single game we have moving forward will play a part in the story of either 1) an unfolding turnaround, or 2) another flop hire.

My personal questions after watching UNT the last 15+ years:

1) How do we recruit against our peers?

2) How does our administration - all the way to the top - react to success?  Are they indifferent, or engaged and supporting?

3) How are our students and alumni engaged in this "upswing"? Are we seeing a culture change, or is it just temporary interest in a winning team?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Probably the best way to look at this game.  

Jeez, we never knew we'd be at this stage of Mean Green football talk this season anyhow but...

:pow:WE'LL TAKE IT & WE'LL TAKE ANY BOWL OFFERS, TOO!

Sorry, Plumm...we should decline this invitation -

Toilet+Bowl+Logo.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Harry, he is going up against a tall order in this Army team... Their defense took UTEP to the woodshed IN El Paso, and held Duke to a pretty incredible score as well.  We definitely have our hands full! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Army is definitely way more solid than they've been in a long time and frankly I think they are definitely the superior team BUT it is sooo critical for the IMMEDIATE future to win this one for several reasons. We are so CAPABLE of bringing this one home and it would show a serious leap in competitiveness to do so.  The defense will have to prove they are the real deal and fly around like we know they can.  Let's light it up green - can't wait!! 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 2

It's a big game no doubt and a win could set up the rest of the season.

However, UNT has their CUSA destiny in their own hands by virtue of a 4 way tie for the division lead.

Even with a loss to WK, winning against UTSA, LT, S Miss, and UTEP would mean a division championship and a title game.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Harry, he is going up against a tall order in this Army team... Their defense took UTEP to the woodshed IN El Paso, and held Duke to a pretty incredible score as well.  We definitely have our hands full! 

I know many people thought UTEP wouldn't be awful this season, but they are 1-5 with their only win over NM St. and FIU beat them in El Paso.

Army won that game handily, but let's not oversell that result.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, casual fan said:

It's a big game no doubt and a win could set up the rest of the season.

However, UNT has their CUSA destiny in their own hands by virtue of a 4 way tie for the division lead.

Even with a loss to WK, winning against UTSA, LT, S Miss, and UTEP would mean a division championship and a title game.

I have $30 in Vegas for UNT to win C-USA at 100:1  Could it happen????

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I have $30 in Vegas for UNT to win C-USA at 100:1  Could it happen????

That's some green koolaid sipping (drinking would have been anything more that $100) right there.

And as crazy as it was before he season it looks at least a little less crazy right now! Which is pretty fun.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

That's some green koolaid sipping (drinking would have been anything more that $100) right there.

And as crazy as it was before he season it looks at least a little less crazy right now! Which is pretty fun.

no doubt.....was kind of a whim bet....was participating on other more sustainable opportunities when I placed this.... Could be my biggest pay-off....especially since Florida State has flopped...and TT isn't doing me any favors either....and what is up with Baylor winning all its games with what has happened over the past 18 months?????  GMG!!!!

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

no doubt.....was kind of a whim bet....was participating on other more sustainable opportunities when I placed this.... Could be my biggest pay-off....especially since Florida State has flopped...and TT isn't doing me any favors either....and what is up with Baylor winning all its games with what has happened over the past 18 months?????  GMG!!!!

Baylor is an excellent chance for a coach to use the 'everyone hates us' and 'it's us against the world' motivators. Add that to a pretty soft schedule so far and this isn't really that unexpected.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2

Preseason article on Army:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/9/1/12741760/army-football-2016-jeff-monken

Army is not a bad team and has exceeded expectations this year.  Monken is a great coach that will stubbornly stay with his system no matter what.  We have to play disciplined football, which is somewhat concerning because none of our previous opponents have required that to the degree that Army will.  This is not a gimme win by any means.  I like that we had an extra week to prepare for the Army wishbone, but I also am concerned how we will come out of our bye week.  Some teams are sluggish after a week off and we can't afford that at this time.  I think we win a close game, a game that could go either way and will come down to the end.  As I stated in another thread, we have to win the toss, score on our first possession and keep ahead of them to try and pull them out of their comfort zone of running the ball and controlling the clock.

• Upvote 2

On 10/18/2016 at 3:10 PM, greenminer said:

3) How are our students and alumni engaged in this "upswing"? Are we seeing a culture change, or is it just temporary interest in a winning team?

Probably easier to see a real culture change & steadier building of better, larger & more consistent  attendance numbers once we've had at least 3 winning seasons in a row rather than 3 very important wins so far as we take small steps to build things unseen for awhile at dear ol' alma mater.

Shouldn't be that we lose 10,000 fans in Apogee attendance in 1 week; that is,  from the SMU game to the Bethune Cookman game the following Saturday.   For sure  BC is a no-name school, but we fit a similar description with our 4 game series with Darrell Royals UT Longhorns in the 70's yet UT fans still showed en mass at our games.

Still a true snapshot of our culture will materialize when we have decades filled with way more wins than losses.  Former UNT asst. coach Bill Snyder's Kansas State Wildcats began their Phoenix rise with a win over a team dressed in green from Denton, Texas, & in the closing seconds of that game (see it on YouTube if not too painful to watch) yet...while today at the U of North Texas we really seem to have all the pieces  in place to have our own  KSU'esque come-back from years of losing (albeit we have had few one hit wonders sprinkled in as happened on 1/1/14).

UNT President Smatresk quote in the below signature is really a good start for what can be great things to come.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

I think this week's game will be important in that the players and staff will learn a lot about how to handle a bye week.  The results will help the program identify where their use of the off week was successful and where there's room for improvement.  

Does the team look "two weeks better"?

Great point.

On 10/18/2016 at 2:44 PM, NTAlum09 said:

We will be fine, no need to dwell on the past.

@Harry

I watched the the first episode of season 3 BTG last night and at the meeting with his players Seth Littrell says "You can't dwell on the past, you gotta to learn from those mistakes, that's the biggest thing I tell my guys"

#NewDenton