Official Army Game Score Prediction Thread

MeanGreenTexan

North Texas is coming off a great win against Marshall at home with an extra week to rest up, get healthy, and prepare for Army's wacky triple-option offense.

Army is coming off a complete dismantling of FCS Lafayette, and are very confident in their system.  They're likely viewing this game as a critical stepping-stone to bowl eligibility this year.

The NT defense needs to be ready, especially the DL & interior LBs for that big fullback.  I feel good about Finney/Garner/McClain getting to the outside before their guys can, and I trust Davis, Brooks & Jenkins to single-cover their WRs when they do pass.

Offensively, we've been all over the place.  It's going to take a complete game from the offense to get a win.   I also expect Wilson to have a rough day, hopefully Ivery can step in and Harrell can find ways to get him the ball in space.  OL needs to hold up and give Fine time to throw consistently.

I'm just not sure we can put it all together against this confident Army team.

UNT: 21
Army: 31

Of course, I predicted a loss against Marshall too, so what do I know?  I'd love to be wrong again.

• Upvote 1

Triple option is a tough offense to go against as teams just don't have to play against it very often. We do have two weeks to prepare so the coaching staff will have time get the guys ready. I'm still not sure it will be enough. On offense we have to take advantage of every opportunity as there wont be many. An extension of the Army option is that running the ball so much also runs the clock. Army's defense leads FBS in opponent plays at 332 and thus doesn't give up many yards. We must be very efficient on every drive.

UNT 17

Army 27

Lets look at Army's wins so far.  

• They first beat Temple.  Temple is 3-3, and they beat SMU 45-20.
  • Second win was at Rice, by 17.
  • Third win was  66-14 shellacking of UTEP.
  • They killed FCS Lafayette like you expected they would, 62-7.

Everyone is worried (rightfully) about defending the triple option, but Army's defense is only giving up 245.2 yards a game, second in the country.   They are only giving up 14 points a game, tied for 5th.    North Texas is ranked 81st and 76th in those categories.  

They have beaten better teams than we have.  Their two losses where to Duke (I don't think we would beat) and Buffalo (head scratcher, but they did have key injuries).

Line has moved to 18.5 and while I think we cover I think we end up losing by 10.  

If SL and his staff can get his team prepared enough to win at West Point then we have no doubt made the right hire, and we can start seriously thinking about a bowl game.  

52 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

North Texas is coming off a great win against Marshall at home with an extra week to rest up, get healthy, and prepare for Army's wacky triple-option offense.

Army is coming off a complete dismantling of FCS Lafayette, and are very confident in their system.  They're likely viewing this game as a critical stepping-stone to bowl eligibility this year.

The NT defense needs to be ready, especially the DL & interior LBs for that big fullback.  I feel good about Finney/Garner/McClain getting to the outside before their guys can, and I trust Davis, Brooks & Jenkins to single-cover their WRs when they do pass.

Offensively, we've been all over the place.  It's going to take a complete game from the offense to get a win.   I also expect Wilson to have a rough day, hopefully Ivery can step in and Harrell can find ways to get him the ball in space.  OL needs to hold up and give Fine time to throw consistently.

I'm just not sure we can put it all together against this confident Army team.

UNT: 21
Army: 31

Of course, I predicted a loss against Marshall too, so what do I know?  I'd love to be wrong again.

Looking forward to the pre snap alignment of the D. Maybe more of a 4-4-3 alignment. Their passing game is non existent.

2 weeks to prepare!!!!!!!  Green 35  Army 28

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

ground and pound from both teams.  Lot's of yards on the ground, but not a lot of scoring from either side.....Classic old school football here.  17-14 UNT WINS!!!!

Passing game must work against this Army team.  
If we try and go tit-for-tat, running the ball against the #2 rushing defense in FBS (allowing only 84yds/gm), we're going to lose REALLY BAD.

• Upvote 3

Re: the head scratcher...

Starting DB Brandon Jackson died in a car crash the night of the Rice game.  Team managed to fight through the grief and walloped UTEP on the road.  Jackson's funeral was 2 days after the UTEP game...

5 days later, on opening KO at Buffalo, our starting K got hurt making the tackle.  Army scored a TD on first possession and was in the lead until about 2 minutes to go in the game.  Gave up 2 TDs in the 4th quarter, and those are the only points Army has allowed in the 4th all year. Backup K missed FG that would have won in regulation and then missed again in OT.  I think the combination of grief, back-to-back road games, and kicking were just too much to overcome.

• Upvote 2

The key?  Win the toss, an opening drive score, making Army play from behind, effective clock management so they don't end the first half and start the second with the ball, create turnovers and play from ahead. Their offense isn't built to play catch up. 

• Upvote 1

really interested to see what goes on in this game... UNT just had their first breather of the season, and Fine has had an extra week to prepare for this game. While everyone is focusing on how the defense handles the Triple Option, I'm really interested to see if our O has made strides with the extra week off. I'm really hoping we can put 4 TD's on the board, 

UNT-31

Army-33

• Upvote 1

I can't predict a score, but I have a feeling that this game will be close. 7 points close.

I like what @Cerebus posted about us going bowling if we win Saturday's game. I think this is going to be a tough game, but if we make it through. Littrell is going to be a damn Mean Green saint for our program. 

Edited by GreenTexan13

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

The key?  Win the toss, an opening drive score, making Army play from behind, effective clock management so they don't end the first half and start the second with the ball, create turnovers and play from ahead. Their offense isn't built to play catch up. 

Something tells me Army won't abandon their gameplan if UNT scores on the opening drive.

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Something tells me Army won't abandon their gameplan if UNT scores on the opening drive.

I agree, but we must not fall behind because they will just grind the clock.  If we get ahead, make a few stops, extend our lead to 14+ points, they will be forced to throw which is their weakness.

I think we win, but it is close.

Edited by UNTLifer