G5 Conference Realignment

Mike Jackson

Conference Realignment   

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Conference Realignment I propose?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but with some minor tweaks

14 hours ago, tmjerm said:

While regional rivalries are important, nothing means more than playing better competition regularly...we need to continue to improve our strength of schedule and we will be in good position when things shake out again as long as we are winning.  Don't get me wrong I'd love nothing more than to see the SWC+UNT but I think realistically we need to shoot for national branding if we want to keep this FBS thing up.  

I say we resurrect the SWC for those who got passed over. Let's see...

UNT, Tulsa, smu, Houston, La Tech, UTSA, Rice, UTEP. Add in LaLa, Arky St, Tulane and S. Miss.

There. 12 teams!

• Upvote 4

On 10/17/2016 at 5:11 PM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

To me, you admit where you are, break the C-USA and Sun Belt into conferences that take geography into account, and be done with it.

Exactly the focus of my conference realignment was to play as many Texas teams as possible but not make mundane and routine by playing all the G5 Texas schools every year.  Sorry guys if UTEP, Texas State, UTSA, or Rice go into the toilet for more than a decade those matchups still don't do much for us either.  Also the less desirable ULM, ULL, and Ark State end up in east division.  We would only play them once every 2 to 3 years.  Idaho's demise allows us to add Rice back to our division.  

On 10/16/2016 at 9:58 PM, drycreek said:

YOUR PLAN STINKS---WHAT DOES UNT GAIN OUT OF NEW GROUPING?

1. Lower Travel Cost

2. Cross Divisional road games UNT fans can travel too reasonably

3. 12 team league with in which you don't have to share revenue between 14, 15, or 16

4. Not being forced to play high travel cost games with bottom feeder upstart programs like FAU, FIU, Charolette, and Old Dominion.  (to be fair I am sure that North Texas doesn't move the needle for fans in Carolina and Florida.)

5. With 12 team league you can play only 7 conference game schedule and have a real champion that has played most of the good teams in the league

My question to you what are we losing by realigning the conferences?  A game every 3 years with Marshall, WKU, MTSU

Long term I think it is clear a 12 team member better geographically organized conferences are in all of G5 schools best interest especially outside of the aspiring upper teams in the AAC. (Houston, UConn, Memphis)

9 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

UNT, Tulsa, smu, Houston, La Tech, UTSA, Rice, UTEP. Add in LaLa, Arky St, Tulane and S. Miss.

There. 12 teams!

I like the thought but Houston only makes that move if they total given up their dream of being P5.  I would like Memphis for the market and it might be fools dream but I don't think that KSU, and KU our out of the question if the Big 12 implodes and we have Memphis with their somewhat recent basketball success.   SMU, Kansas, and Memphis are strong in basketball.  And ULL and KSU have be good on occasion and that would make a nice basketball conference too.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

Conference realignment stuff may be fun to speculate on, but like out of conference schedules; there is no way to satisfy everyone.   Some of the same people who tout more regional leagues, also would love NT to be in the MWC.  

The cold hard fact is that NT is not in a good position to do anything at the moment.  The best thing for NT would be to develop the programs to a dominance level in CUSA and than be in position for the next shakeup.   At this point, NT cannot really demonstrate overall that that are better than an average program in any G5 conference.   

There is a remote change that the Big 12 will implode in the near future, and NT needs to be in a position to be in the conversation for a new consolidation with the left-outs of that league.  Another possibility that the stronger teams of the G5 could unite under another banner.  What if the overall strongest 10 or 12 programs in the G5 united?  It certainly wouldn't be regional; but it could be a force for inclusion at the P5 level.  

Frankly, the most likely path for NT is to remain in CUSA in the near future.  This conference is way down in both basketball and football at present but I do see the possibility that it could rise to the highest level of G5 conferences.  It is not that big of step, but would require the majority of the members to significantly upgrade their dedication to athletics.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Conference realignment stuff may be fun to speculate on, but like out of conference schedules; there is no way to satisfy everyone.   Some of the same people who tout more regional leagues, also would love NT to be in the MWC.  

The cold hard fact is that NT is not in a good position to do anything at the moment.  The best thing for NT would be to develop the programs to a dominance level in CUSA and than be in position for the next shakeup.   At this point, NT cannot really demonstrate overall that that are better than an average program in any G5 conference.   

There is a remote change that the Big 12 will implode in the near future, and NT needs to be in a position to be in the conversation for a new consolidation with the left-outs of that league.  Another possibility that the stronger teams of the G5 could unite under another banner.  What if the overall strongest 10 or 12 programs in the G5 united?  It certainly wouldn't be regional; but it could be a force for inclusion at the P5 level.  

Frankly, the most likely path for NT is to remain in CUSA in the near future.  This conference is way down in both basketball and football at present but I do see the possibility that it could rise to the highest level of G5 conferences.  It is not that big of step, but would require the majority of the members to significantly upgrade their dedication to athletics.  

WB agrees:

• Upvote 1

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 0:25 PM, Hunter Green said:

There. 12 teams!

Lol we'll drop football before joining a trash bag conference like that. Also the Big 12 owns the SWC naming rights. Plus such a wonderful conference shouldn't have its name and memory tainted.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Downvote 1

The MWC and AAC are going to get the leftovers of when the Big XII implodes--whether its as simple as just Baylor and TCU to the MWC and ISU to the AAC, or if KSU, Tech, OSU, and WVU get left behind, too.

It won't be hard to see the MWC getting TCU and Baylor, along with Tech and OSU. And then see the AAC add WVU, ISU, and KSU, as well as a school like NIU. That gives each of those leagues 16 football teams. And if they need a 16th team for hoops, the MWC can grab Wichita State and the AAC could easily add George Mason, Richmond, or VCU.

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

The MWC and AAC are going to get the leftovers of when the Big XII implodes--whether its as simple as just Baylor and TCU to the MWC and ISU to the AAC, or if KSU, Tech, OSU, and WVU get left behind, too.

It won't be hard to see the MWC getting TCU and Baylor, along with Tech and OSU. And then see the AAC add WVU, ISU, and KSU, as well as a school like NIU. That gives each of those leagues 16 football teams. And if they need a 16th team for hoops, the MWC can grab Wichita State and the AAC could easily add George Mason, Richmond, or VCU.

Why would Whichita State want to leave the Big East?

The conference realignment I proposed is not only about UNT it is about most of the schools in CUSA and Sun Belt right now.  Cross Divisional games in both conference lack appeal and the travel cost is expensive.  My proposal would be made by the leadership of the conferences.  Wren did give the right answer as AD of UNT.   The program is not in position to make a move by itself or even lead a group of schools in a move.  However 4 to 5 current members of CUSA West are interested in playing a shift conference geographically centered around the Texas-Louisiana border our school should be on board with that plan in my opinion.

19 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Lol we'll drop football before joining a trash bag conference like that. Also the Big 12 owns the SWC naming rights. Plus such a wonderful conference shouldn't have its name and memory tainted.

Sorry to burst your bubble CK, but we're all in trash bag conferences, including you. No better or worse than any other non-P% conference. You're not a elite program, even though you may feel that way. Good progress and ambitious, but not elite.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

ACC could realistically take Kansas and WVU, if they want to expand to 16.  WVU was already a conference mate to the ACC's former Big East footballers, so familiarity among the ADs is already there.

It goes without saying that KU's basketball and academic status will save it from G5.  ACC is probably the best fit basketball-wise; but the Big Ten is closer and a better academic fit...and, plays some decent round ball here and there as well.

Those being crapped out of the Big 12 break up will be the former SWC schools and Iowa State.

I still think there will be a further separation of what will become the P4 and the G5.  The current P5 has already established rules about scheduling.  They could, in the future, simply cut out scheduling G5s altogether while expanding the playoff to eight teams.  

In short, it would really be kind of a semi-pro establishment.  They will be able to pay players higher stipends than most G5s.  

The question, in my mind, is then: what becomes of the NCAA and the G5s/leftovers?  Does the NCAA disappear from P4 football as they rule themselves?  Does the G5/leftover crowd read the writing on the wall/accept reality (finally) and form their own governing body?

The haves and have nots are beig split further in football, as is happening in real life as well.  G5 is like the middle class - following the rules, yet bearing the brunt of any new move by the ruling class, the P5/soon-to-be 4...while the P5 tells the public they are doing all they can to help the G5.

(I also think OU "big brothers" Oklahoma Aggy if they split from Texas in their ultimate conference hopping.)

20 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Houston will be fine in the AAC.  For their sake, I'd hope the AAC and MWC recognize what they are - a bit below P5, but far better than the remaining G5s - and agree to a scheduling and bowl set up patterned after the agreements between the Big Ten and Pac-12.

11 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

The conference realignment I proposed is not only about UNT it is about most of the schools in CUSA and Sun Belt right now.  Cross Divisional games in both conference lack appeal and the travel cost is expensive.  My proposal would be made by the leadership of the conferences.  Wren did give the right answer as AD of UNT.   The program is not in position to make a move by itself or even lead a group of schools in a move.  However 4 to 5 current members of CUSA West are interested in playing a shift conference geographically centered around the Texas-Louisiana border our school should be on board with that plan in my opinion.

The sticky point re: the Louisiana schools is Louisiana Tech, which does not want to conference with ULM and Louisiana. 

I think long term that it's possible that La Tech rejoins it's old C-USA mates in the AAC. 

I really do think the only shuffling to be done after OU and Texas make their jump(s), is a shaking out/reality acceptance of the Sun Belters and C-USunBelters.  Have a final, intelligent, geographically sane conference realignment among the schools of those conferences, then work out a bowl deal among themselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2