How often does TX high school football realign?

On October 14, 2016 at 8:44 PM, oldguystudent said:

I keep a casual watch over my daughter's high school, and I thought they'd been playing an awful lot of out of district games this year.  Then I went to MaxPreps and learned that their district lineup is entirely different than last year.  Does this happen a lot? 

Every two years. This year is year one of the latest alignment so you'll keep the same district opponents next season before a probable change in district mates the following year.

14 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

A few years ago they also recently expanded the postseason to four teams per district, really watering down the competition. Leaves for plenty of 3-7 and 4-6 teams in the playoffs only because they won one or two district games. I hate it.

A bigger cause for losing teams in the playoffs is from small districts where they may be only 5-6 teams. 

You get an 8 team district in a major metro area and the 4th place team is better than a decent number of smaller district 2nd place teams.

You can't make every district the same numbers wise so this may be a decent compromise.

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

A bigger cause for losing teams in the playoffs is from small districts where they may be only 5-6 teams. 

You get an 8 team district in a major metro area and the 4th place team is better than a decent number of smaller district 2nd place teams.

You can't make every district the same numbers wise so this may be a decent compromise.

This is true. But I am from a smaller district team (graduated from 2A Riesel near Waco) where they currently play in a 6 team district and came into their last game of 2015 at 2-7 overall but still with a chance at the playoffs with a win. I don't want to bash the people in charge of realignment because I can't imagine how hard it is (And are classifications still divided further into divisions?) considering they've got to find a range of enrollment and several schools in the same area with similar numbers, but a 3-7 team in the playoffs? Crazy!

29 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

This is true. But I am from a smaller district team (graduated from 2A Riesel near Waco) where they currently play in a 6 team district and came into their last game of 2015 at 2-7 overall but still with a chance at the playoffs with a win. I don't want to bash the people in charge of realignment because I can't imagine how hard it is (And are classifications still divided further into divisions?) considering they've got to find a range of enrollment and several schools in the same area with similar numbers, but a 3-7 team in the playoffs? Crazy!

Unless I goofed on the math I think 512 teams combined make the playoffs for 11 man football!