MGB video: Benford talks about season at C-USA media day

Brett Vito

Benford says this is the "deepest" team he has had... I hope this to be true. He seems to have a short memory though.  I recall when he came on-board five seasons ago, he described the team he inherited with Tony Mitchell as, 'I see no reason why this isn't a Top 25 team,' (not a direct quote) or something to that effect. 

Benford also says they are putting in a waiver with the NCAA for Woolridge to play at start of season (instead of semester break)....he actually sounds hopeful. I guess he hasn't learned that the waivers are never/rarely approved for G5 teams... only P5 teams.... Slow learner? Ignorance?

Lastly, I absolutely love how they selected a wall for CUSA media day with sign next to Benford that says, "Electrical Room."  Geez. How unprofessional is this? Maybe  this is where he is headed if this is another crappy season? :-)

It pains me to post these comments as I have always been a huge fan of UNT basketball... but this has been so painful to watch over the past 5 seasons as we went from reguarl NCAA tourney contender to CUSA/Sun Belt bottom of the barrel.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

On 10/13/2016 at 10:46 PM, GrandGreen said:

This is Benford, look at his pre-season quotes for the first four years.   He is publicly optimistic every year and than falls way short.  

I do think that this team could be very good, but none of it is based on Benford's verbiage. 

If it is not good, the talent can't be blamed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cooley said:

A stretch is someone who can step outside (or hang out there)  and consistently make the outside shot (Dirk). Mitchell could run the floor, dunk, rebound and block shots. Was not consistent outside. 

Right.
I remember going to MeanGreenMadness during Benford's first year and Mitchell was taking 3-pointers, and I was thinking he was going to wind up letting Tony play on the wings more.  Instead, he wound up playing alot of back-to-the-basket 5.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1