So let me get this straight DMN...

GMoney

This is not surprising. Why would they not publish it? I mean we are a large D1 institution in what is considered the DFW metroplex. For those that believe this will disrupt recruiting, I disagree. A university doing a self portrait of itself is not degrading. Sometimes you have to be able see the pimple before you can pop it. This is good publicity as in it was self imposed publicity. We didn't have to air out dirty laundry, but we chose to. You don't do that unless you have damn good intentions on cleaning it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

are you implying I don't work? I do work. and in the private sector.

no cushy government job with it's greedy union for me. unlike some people...

Geez your sensitive this morning.  No, I was implying that at least he works in a day and time so many leech off those who do.  I knew you worked and am glad you have such a good understanding of unions too.  

BTW...are you picking me up at Laguardia on your way up the weekend of the Army game?

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't have a cushy job, and no union.

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

this guy carries a gun to work. 

Actually more than one, and several knives, and a taser. Your point?

My problem, which I'm sure my fan club missed, is the same issue many have. They don't put many positive stories of us out there, yet they're eager to put this story out there in a manner which will grab the attention of those who want to see us fail.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

are you implying I don't work? I do work. and in the private sector.

no cushy government job with it's greedy union for me. unlike some people...

None of that pesky "give back to the community and do a dangerous, thankless job for incredibly low pay" either, eh?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I don't have a cushy job, and no union.

Actually more than one, and several knives, and a taser. Your point?

My problem, which I'm sure my fan club missed, is the same issue many have. They don't put many positive stories of us out there, yet they're eager to put this story out there in a manner which will grab the attention of those who want to see us fail.

I'm assuming you're a cop. Unfortunately, the media needs to make money. Feel good stories don't make money. Sucks but it's true. As my brother, a Dallas police officer, told me before I applied for the DPD and has told me over and over and over again: "Don't expect a thank you from anybody. If that's what you want, go find it elsewhere."

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm assuming you're a cop. Unfortunately, the media needs to make money. Feel good stories don't make money. Sucks but it's true. As my brother, a Dallas police officer, told me before I applied for the DPD and has told me over and over and over again: "Don't expect a thank you from anybody. If that's what you want, go find it elsewhere."

True.  Yet PD has probably received more "Thank you's" from the public the past three months than in any other time in history...unfortunately for obviously terrible reasons.

Rick

Here's my hope.  We take the report to heart, make plans to enact the necessary changes, implement those plans, and move forward.  No further need to look back.  A lot of damage has been done.  There are a lot of...pent up frustrations and feelings of vindication.  I understand.  But I'm choosing to look to the horizon and move toward it. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Same article as the one in the DRC, except different headline.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone with experience in the newspaper industry tell us that the article is written by the staff writer (in this case, Vito), but the headline is chosen by the editors?

Yes, headlines are very rarely written by writers, if ever.

Generally the desk writes the headlines. Since they're doing the design, they know what size (font and length) for which they have room.

That said, it's a longtime flaw of newspapers because writers will often catch hell for bad headlines of which they were not at all involved.

• Upvote 1