Explaining the Mediocrity of Mean Green Football

EagleGreen

My wife was perplexed that Les Miles was fired from LSU.  We looked up his record and he hasn't won less than 8 games since 2002, has gone to a bowl game each year since 2002, and has taken his team to 2 national championships, winning one, since 2002.  14 winning seasons in the last 14 years. "Why the HELL was he fired?" she asked. "UNT would be all OVER that dude, right?" she asked.  Yes, dear, we would.  We've only had 4 winning seasons and 4 bowl games in the last 14 years. "Oh to be mediocre", I said.  "Mediocre?" She asked.  What makes you think 4-10 in the last 14 years is mediocre?" ...she has a good point.  

I mention all this to say I hope that Smatz and TheWren will FINALLY change the mindset of "mediocrity" around here.  We must do better and I think we will do better.  I hope it starts with the MUTS game on Saturday.  Seth has this team grinding it out. Let's #hit3 with a win.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

to do what?  He has no offensive creativity.  He can recruit like a champion.....great athletes.  Just look at the NFL and all the LSU players.....why can't he translate that to a more Saban like outcome?

You answered your own question. Bring him here to recruit. Let Seth and Co. do the coaching.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

to do what?  He has no offensive creativity.  He can recruit like a champion.....great athletes.  Just look at the NFL and all the LSU players.....why can't he translate that to a more Saban like outcome?

20 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You answered your own question. Bring him here to recruit. Let Seth and Co. do the coaching.

Like it or not, recruiting to the SEC west is a little different than recruiting to CUSA west. I doubt very seriously he would have similar recruiting success with us. Look south to his best recruiter who now works in San Antonio and see how they are setting the world on fire. Hint, they aren't.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Like it or not, recruiting to the SEC west is a little different than recruiting to CUSA west. I doubt very seriously he would have similar recruiting success with us. Look south to his best recruiter who now works in San Antonio and see how they are setting the world on fire. Hint, they aren't.

Yep.  He's past the age where he would want to put in the effort required to build our program.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

His first season just started just like ours. Not sure how you can look the first 4 games of the year and say he isn't setting the world on fire therefore he's a bad recruiter.

As of right now, UTSA has the top recruiting class in C-USA for 2017 and ranked 61 nationally per 247. http://utsa.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Yes, that'll probably go down with the 4 star kid going away (assuming his scholarship offer gets pulled).They have 17 commits so far. I'm as much of a UNT homer as the next guy but give credit where it's due. So far, their head coach is out recruiting our entire conference and he's been around as long as our staff has.

Edit: Their current recruiting score per 247 would have them ranked 3rd in C-USA in last year's recruiting. Number 2 last year was UAB who could offer a clean slate and a fresh start to anybody out there so you could say his current recruiting class would have ranked number 2 last year.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

His first season just started just like ours. Not sure how you can look the first 4 games of the year and say he isn't setting the world on fire therefore he's a bad recruiter.

As of right now, UTSA has the top recruiting class in C-USA for 2017 and ranked 61 nationally per 247. http://utsa.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Yes, that'll probably go down with the 4 star kid going away (assuming his scholarship offer gets pulled).They have 17 commits so far. I'm as much of a UNT homer as the next guy but give credit where it's due. So far, their head coach is out recruiting our entire conference and he's been around as long as our staff has.

Edit: Their current recruiting score per 247 would have them ranked 3rd in C-USA in last year's recruiting. Number 2 last year was UAB who could offer a clean slate and a fresh start to anybody out there so you could say his current recruiting class would have ranked number 2 last year.

The point is a guy like Les Miles isn't going to get the same caliber recruits to come to CUSA as he could get to go to the SEC. He's a Mack Brown style program sells itself guy. That won't fly in CUSA. You need grinders with something to prove like our young staff.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The point is a guy like Les Miles isn't going to get the same caliber recruits to come to CUSA as he could get to go to the SEC. He's a Mack Brown style program sells itself guy. That won't fly in CUSA. You need grinders with something to prove like our young staff.

I don't think Miles and his offensive style would excite recruits.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

14 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I don't think Miles and his offensive style would excite recruits.

He would be no different than Mac was with us. Getting close to retirement and doesn't have the fire to make a program great anymore. I don't disagree that Les Miles wouldn't be valuable here, just that his top recruiter is doing poorly at UTSA. So far, UTSA looks to be on the way just like we are.

• Upvote 3

The only and I mean only way a G5 program should be interested in Les is if his agent calls them.  Furthermore Les would have to convince me as the AD that he is driven to build something and covet the challenges of G5 program to prove his doubters wrong.  A driven Les Miles could do wonders for any G5 program if he is given the resources to some of his valued colleagues with him. 

I just wish some coach like him would take the G5 challenge and prove they are worth the huge money they get from powerhouse schools.   Because I think they are all severely overpaid.  Hell they don't even have to go to G5 school for instance I would love to see what Saban could do at Kentucky.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The only and I mean only way a G5 program should be interested in Les is if his agent calls them.  Furthermore Les would have to convince me as the AD that he is driven to build something and covet the challenges of G5 program to prove his doubters wrong.  A driven Les Miles could do wonders for any G5 program if he is given the resources to some of his valued colleagues with him. 

I just wish some coach like him would take the G5 challenge and prove they are worth the huge money they get from powerhouse schools.   Because I think they are all severely overpaid.  Hell they don't even have to go to G5 school for instance I would love to see what Saban could do at Kentucky.

Uhh. Yah. To say the least. 

Miles' buyout is 12.9M. I thought college was a place of higher education. Psh. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Miles will follow Mack Brown...to the broadcast booth.  Speaking of Brown, does his voice drive anyone else crazy?  He is hard to listen to over an extended period.

Either way, I think we have the right coach and staff for our current situation.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/27/2016 at 10:26 PM, UNTLifer said:

Miles will follow Mack Brown...to the broadcast booth.  Speaking of Brown, does his voice drive anyone else crazy?  He is hard to listen to over an extended period.

Either way, I think we have the right coach and staff for our current situation.

I think that Miles will be in a media role, also. That said, I can also see him coaching again, too. If Gundy ever leaves OSU, I can see T Boone buying Les Miles back to Stillwater.