Bowl Projections

dml7007

On paper, we might have a chance to win 6 games. Win 2 at home, beat UTEP and UTSA on the road.I can't figure Army out. Ran for 400 yards, but lost in OT to Buffalo.[ I am taking my 14 year old grandson to West Point for our game against the Black Knights]This after stomping Rice,UTEP, and beating Temple on the road.Marshall looks like our best chance to win at home. I know that our win against Rice was big for us, but they are 0&4 for a reason. Let's not get the cart before the horse . Best bet is 4 or 5 wins.But, on paper a bumblebee can't fly.

Edited by wardly
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MDH said:

We rallied to beat a team that got throttled by WKU (I know they're good). I think how we play in the next 2 games tell us everything about bowling.

^ THIS If we are going to start the bowl talks. I need to see us play against MTSU and Marshall (Especially wins) before I get comfortable with that talk. 

If y'all remember, our season didn't start rolling into greatness until we steam rolled MTSU at home in 2013. One can dream of a repeat Saturday right?

SL would be working miracles if we go to a bowl this year.

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Lol "Bowl Projections"

we go 2-2 and all of a sudden people think we haven't screwed the pooch the last couple years in staffing/recruiting

if we got 4-8 it would be a massive step forward and probably best case scenario. If we make a bowl game I'll eat my own shoes

We had a poster who once said he would eat crow if we made it to a bowl. I watched him eat it at a bar in New Orleans (it looked and smelled nasty). Your shoes should be a comparative piece of cake.

• Upvote 5

3 wins, 4 wins, a bowl game, who will replace Littrell when he leaves?  What are you guys smoking?  We don't need to tap the brakes, we need to slam on them as hard as we can!!

Let's take it one game at a time and not speculate about about a head coach with a career 2-2 record leaving us for greener pastures after only one season.  That sort of talk, on a public forum anyone can read, can't be good for recruiting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, gangrene said:

3 wins, 4 wins, a bowl game, who will replace Littrell when he leaves?  What are you guys smoking?  We don't need to tap the brakes, we need to slam on them as hard as we can!!

Let's take it one game at a time and not speculate about about a head coach with a career 2-2 record leaving us for greener pastures after only one season.  That sort of talk, on a public forum anyone can read, can't be good for recruiting.

To be fair, it was media speculation/predictions that started this conversation...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Lol "Bowl Projections"

we go 2-2 and all of a sudden people think we haven't screwed the pooch the last couple years in staffing/recruiting

if we got 4-8 it would be a massive step forward and probably best case scenario. If we make a bowl game I'll eat my own shoes

I would love to see a few milestones first like beating a team that has some wins this year already. second to beat a team with a winning record. I thought 2 wins was it for us this year. But I was including San Antonio on that, so I guess 3 three now, maybe 4. If we happen to split the next two home games I will be ecstatic and be looking for 5 wins. 

I hope that most people here realize and understand odds are we lose the rest of our home games this year. 

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I don't think we become bowl eligible this year.  However if SL can come in and get this program to a bowl game in his first year, we better start buttering up Graham Harrell, because SL will be gone soon.  

SL would have to lead us to a bowl win this year, then at least a ten win year this year... otherwise, it would be the normal three year improvement with back to back 9 wins seasons

33 minutes ago, gangrene said:

Fans with doom and gloom and saying we will lose can't be good for recruiting either.

• Upvote 3

With all do respect, I don't think its doom and gloom to speculate on our projected record, but after our 1st road win in 3 years against a team that now is 0&4 we probably shouldn't pack a bowl bag just yet.The same attitude should apply to Littrell. He beat Rice and a 1AA school that I had never heard of.Goals and objectives should be realistic and obtainable with a little pie in the sky. Road wins against UTEP and UTSA are, in my opinion, reasonable and obtainable.One home win, with Marshall being the most likely prospect,might also be obtainable. To me Army could be  a toss up, but we are going to struggle against W.K. on the road, as well as MTSU,LA.Tech, and So. Miss. at home. My pie in the sky is 4 to 5 wins, but hey, that's just me.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, wardly said:

With all do respect, I don't think its doom and gloom to speculate on our projected record, but after our 1st road win in 3 years against a team that now is 0&4 we probably shouldn't pack a bowl bag just yet.The same attitude should apply to Littrell. He beat Rice and a 1AA school that I had never heard of.Goals and objectives should be realistic and obtainable with a little pie in the sky. Road wins against UTEP and UTSA are, in my opinion, reasonable and obtainable.One home win, with Marshall being the most likely prospect,might also be obtainable. To me Army could be  a toss up, but we are going to struggle against W.K. on the road, as well as MTSU,LA.Tech, and So. Miss. at home. My pie in the sky is 4 to 5 wins, but hey, that's just me.

So what you are saying is we are probably out of the running to be in the College Football playoff.  I better call and cancel my ticket request.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenDadx2 said:

So what you are saying is we are probably out of the running to be in the College Football playoff.  I better call and cancel my ticket request.

What???? I just dropped 5 grand on UNT to win it all on *insert sports gambling site*!!! Are you sure we aren't even in contention to make the playoffs?

9 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I don't think we become bowl eligible this year.  However if SL can come in and get this program to a bowl game in his first year, we better start buttering up Graham Harrell, because SL will be gone soon.  

Cerebus, wouldn't we all rather have that than keep a 10 year plan going with annual pay raises to those who have yet to hit .500 in career wins-----anywhere? 

We are truly a work in progress with (I'd presume) the least number of players on 'scholly's than any other school in NCAA Division 1.  Yet  I think this journey is going to be more interesting than many we've seen in recent decades---just a gut feeling with that. 

Apogee Stadium gives North Texas a big chance to do something we'd never be able to do at Fouts Field in a hundred years (albeit our OOC schedule was still better at Fouts but give Wren & his staff time to change that).   

GMG!

PS:  And yes, bowl folks, we love ya' & keep watching us but put a tap on those brakes for now?  We do hope you prove some of our own timelines wrong, though.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

I realize we are just being realistic, but it's kinda sad two analyst project we will win half of the rest of our games (really not that crazy when you think about it from the outside perspective), and we say they are wrong. Shows how jaded we've become. Telling you guys, QB play and coaching was a HUGE part of our 1-11 season last year. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I realize we are just being realistic, but it's kinda sad two analyst project we will win half of the rest of our games (really not that crazy when you think about it from the outside perspective), and we say they are wrong. Shows how jaded we've become. Telling you guys, QB play and coaching was a HUGE part of our 1-11 season last year. 

Plus hiring a coordinator who said he'd take our job as long as he didn't have to recruit outside Denton.

That group squandered Apogee Stadium's debut & first few years of operations big time.  We had great Junior Camps at Apogee, but didn't recruit near enough from those as other schools in CUSA who don't have anything close to the Mean Green Village would have. All that just makes me want to cuss truth be told.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

11 hours ago, MDH said:

We rallied to beat a team that got throttled by WKU (I know they're good). I think how we play in the next 2 games tell us everything about bowling.

I'm 50/50 with you on this. There are enough teams in down seasons on our schedule that almost all of them other than probably WacKY could be winnable in any given week.  Nice to see some faith from ESPN though.

51 minutes ago, Silent Eagle said:

Funny part is, I didn't recall seeing SMU on any of them. 

They have a much tougher schedule than ours.  I think they have a decent chance at hitting 6 wins but it would be quite a stretch.