What Results Are You Expecting the Next Two Weeks?

Cerebus

What Results Are You Expecting the Next Two Weeks?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. We host MTSU and Marshall the next two weeks, in your opinion what is the most likely outcome?

• 0-2
    • 1-1
    • 2-0

I don't know what to make of the MTSU game. I think our offense will struggle a bit, but still put up some points. Getting over 20 would be really nice, but if we want a shot at winning we need the defense to come through in a major way i fear. However on D this is the first game where we face an opponent whos offense is primarily driven by a competent passer who is not looking to run all the time. This will either expose flaws in our secondary we haven't seen yet because none of our opponents had consistency at QB passing (except maybe SMUs backup), or play to our advantage, as we really have been good against the pass but had trouble against the run. Right now my money is on MTSU showing us that our secondary is ok, but also has limitations.

As for the Marshall game, I don't think Marshall themselves know yet where they are. Going on the road and winning there, I don't think should be expected. But we do have a shot. Our offense might actually find them easier to play. I mean they gave up 65 to Akron!

If you were to ask me, I'd say I expect 2 losses, but I do have hope.

What I do expect and have been shown so far this season: that the team will not get blown out and not give up no matter the score.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I'm expecting (and think I will see):

4 whole quarters of effort

Improved tackling

Less dumb penalties

Fine continuing to grow, along with his receivers

Explosive plays by our offense and defense

Knee jerks on this board

Win/Loss isn't as big a concern as I just want to see this program (AD staff included) take itself seriously this season.  The wins will follow soon enough.

This season shouldn't all be measured by wins and losses. I agree with the above.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, outoftown said:

As for the Marshall game, I don't think Marshall themselves know yet where they are. Going on the road and winning there, I don't think should be expected. But we do have a shot. Our offense might actually find them easier to play. I mean they gave up 65 to Akron!

Marshall game is in Denton. 

• Upvote 1

Before the season I predicted 4 wins but we would beat one team we weren't supposed to:  MTSU, Marshall, LT, WKU, or USM.  I see no reason why we can't win one of these two though losing both is probably the most likely outcome.   Winning one would be huge, though.  

By the way ... I wonder if CUSA figured we would be so awful this season that they scheduled us against the top teams from the East thinking it would help them have better records.  It would have been really nice to play F?U, Charlotte, or even ODU rather than Marshall, MUTS, and WKU.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

I'm expecting (and think I will see):

4 whole quarters of effort

Improved tackling

Less dumb penalties

Fine continuing to grow, along with his receivers

Explosive plays by our offense and defense

Knee jerks on this board

Win/Loss isn't as big a concern as I just want to see this program (AD staff included) take itself seriously this season.  The wins will follow soon enough.

yes...  this.  W's and L's right now, I'm not as concerned.  I like this team's fight.  Even in the Florida game, I liked their fight...  no matter what, I'll be listening on the radio when I can.  it is tough saturday's with children playing sports...  go mean green

• Upvote 1

I think we have an opportunity to split these games. Which this  summer I would have said I just hope to be competitive. 

Overall I am with those that wish to see this staff and team continue to build, I realize for every win we have it helps the recruiting conversation a little. 

As a complete program we seem to be moving in the right direction for the first time that I can remember. 

MTSU has to shoot themselves in the foot for us to win. They have one of the best defenses in the league and one of the best offenses in the league. We're just not there yet.

Marshall is unknown. They put up a lot of points, but they also allow a LOT of points through the air. That game has a chance to be a high-scoring, limo-drivin, toss-up. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Aldo said:

MTSU has to shoot themselves in the foot for us to win. They have one of the best defenses in the league and one of the best offenses in the league. We're just not there yet.

Marshall is unknown. They put up a lot of points, but they also allow a LOT of points through the air. That game has a chance to be a high-scoring, limo-drivin, toss-up. 

Not sure about Middle having one of the best defenses in CUSA. They gave up 47 to a pretty impotent Vanderbilt offense. 21 first half points to BGSU. And of course this weekend they gave up 34 to La Tech. IMO, this will actually be a good measuring stick game for their defense. We have to make sure they measure up horribly. 

• Upvote 1

Chase Litton, Marshall QB, missed the Louisville game due to a concussion, or having his symptoms not improve enough to be cleared to play.  Depending on his status, this game could be a toss-up.

MTSU scares me a little more.  Last time I thought they would run away from us was 2001.  Oh, wait!!!

A split would be great, but, as has been mentioned before, this year's success will not be measured solely on wins and losses.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Chase Litton, Marshall QB, missed the Louisville game due to a concussion, or having his symptoms not improve enough to be cleared to play.  Depending on his status, this game could be a toss-up.

MTSU scares me a little more.  Last time I thought they would run away from us was 2001.  Oh, wait!!!

A split would be great, but, as has been mentioned before, this year's success will not be measured solely on wins and losses.

Our fans might not measure this year on W's and L's. That's great. Give Littrell some time to grow into his role. However, the media and more importantly recruits thinking about coming to North Texas very well might judge us solely on W's and L's. We need every W we can get. It helps to build momentum in recruiting and we need that momentum. 

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not sure about Middle having one of the best defenses in CUSA. They gave up 47 to a pretty impotent Vanderbilt offense. 21 first half points to BGSU. And of course this weekend they gave up 34 to La Tech. IMO, this will actually be a good measuring stick game for their defense. We have to make sure they measure up horribly. 

Pass D, they're good. Around best in the league, with us slightly behind (nearly identical, really). Rush D they are slightly better than us (they're middling). 

They're 3rd best in the league in points allowed.

I think the key is to shut down their run game, which they have an efficient one.

• Upvote 2