TV Blast From the Past: 1990 SMU/UNT

PlummMeanGreen

Video vignette taken from my UNT football DVD library of the game & from my IPhone.

It was the last play of the 1'st half and then..... this play happened:

(By the way: North Texas 14.....SMU 7)

Note: Harry, if video doesn't play just remove this thread if you want. Thanks in advance.?

Addendum:   For the video go several posts below.  Thanks NorthTexan95!

IMG_0132.MOV

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

The linked file has to be downloaded.  It's 350 mb so could stand to be compressed in a different format. 

Here's what the video shows:  SMU is trying a field goal on the last play before the half.  We bust up the middle, block the kick, and return it a good ways before being tackled and the half ending.  Then a couple of players starting fighting and quickly both benches clear.  Good times.  The game is played at Fouts so you can see the lovely track around the field.

What's interesting is that the announcers say that UNT would like to move up to the SWC or the Big 8 and that we had seriously discussions with the Big 8.  Not sure how serious those talks were and doubt they got far at all but it would have been cool. 

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

The linked file has to be downloaded.  It's 350 mb so could stand to be compressed in a different format. 

Here's what the video shows:  SMU is trying a field goal on the last play before the half.  We bust up the middle, block the kick, and return it a good ways before being tackled and the half ending.  Then a couple of players starting fighting and quickly both benches clear.  Good times.  The game is played at Fouts so you can see the lovely track around the field.

What's interesting is that the announcers say that UNT would like to move up to the SWC or the Big 8 and that we had seriously discussions with the Big 8.  Not sure how serious those talks were and doubt they got far at all but it would have been cool. 

That one talking about North Texas & the Big 8 was national sportscaster Merle Harmon.  (SMU alum Alan Stone was his color guy who kept calling us NorTexSt) .

Matter a fact, Rick Spears & I went to Mr. Harmon's memorial at "The Ballpark" after he passed.  (God rest his soul but still not sure how Spears talked me into going to that since I really had no affiliation with the media).  

I met DMN sports columnist Randy Galloway after that memorial & asked him about his student days at North Texas which was one of his many collegiate stops.  He said something about too much Jose Cuervo to remember?  LOL!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

great video brought back some great memories of when I was a student.  If someone can pull this down and reformat it so it could be played by all it would be appreciated.  This is a very important historical moment that I believe needs to be archived.  Thank you for posting Plumb.

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

great video brought back some great memories of when I was a student.  If someone can pull this down and reformat it so it could be played by all it would be appreciated.  This is a very important historical moment that I believe needs to be archived.  Thank you for posting Plumb.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 7

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

To me, this is where the university and Hayden Fry were short-sighted when it came to our big time college football aspirations. Rather than putting all of our eggs in the SWC basket, which had the state and the MEtroplex completely covered, we should have put the Big Eight in a position to fight over us with the SWC. If we had talked to the Big Eight about getting a foothold in DFW, opening up recruiting for all of their schools for TX HS kids even more than they already had at the time, and allowed their alumni bases to have a chance to see them annually in the Metroplex (Beyond just OU), it would have either gotten us in up there or it would have made the SWC stop and realize that allowing the Oklahoma schools, Nebraska, and Colorado to get into the state even further would have been disastrous for them.

But instead, the SWC said no way, led by the privates up here in North Texas, and we flat out decided to basically give up.

• Upvote 4

Did you hear the "North Texas State" reference ? 

Hayden Fry hurt North Texas.  Most of my GMG friends here will disagree, but with Fry's leadership, we left the Missouri Valley Conference with the likes of Louisville and Memphis.  We left to become the "Notre Dame of the south."  We'll never know what might have happened but here we are watching many of our old conference mates in conferences we would have been considered for. 

If "ifs and buts" ...

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Did you hear the "North Texas State" reference ? 

Hayden Fry hurt North Texas.  Most of my GMG friends here will disagree, but with Fry's leadership, we left the Missouri Valley Conference with the likes of Louisville and Memphis.  We left to become the "Notre Dame of the south."  We'll never know what might have happened but here we are watching many of our old conference mates in conferences we would have been considered for. 

If "ifs and buts" ...

GO MEAN GREEN

:huh:

BLASPHEMY! (Just kiddin' Judge Joe)!   }:>)

2 Rules In Play Here:
Rule #1:  Stay on the good side of a Judge)

Rule #2:   See Rule # 1

Urban tale said Hayden had gotten wind that others were leaving the Mo' Valley, too.  All those who left are now in the AAC with 1 (maybe 2)  in consideration for the Big 12.  To reiterate....urban tale said.  

But yes, in deed, "if if's & but's......

GMG!

PS:  Basketball?  Didn't we all love Denny Crum & the Louisville Cardinals coming to the fabulous Super Pit for a conference matchup?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

:huh:

BLASPHEMY! (Just kiddin' Judge Joe)!   }:>)

2 Rules In Play Here:
Rule #1:  Stay on the good side of a Judge)

Rule #2:   See Rule # 1

Urban tale said Hayden had gotten wind that others were leaving the Mo' Valley, too.  All those who left are now in the AAC with 1 (maybe 2)  in consideration for the Big 12.  To reiterate....urban tale said.  

But yes, in deed, "if if's & but's......

GMG!

PS:  Basketball?  Didn't we all love Denny Crum & the Louisville Cardinals coming to the fabulous Super Pit for a conference matchup?

I don't know if it mattered.  We did not have the money nor administration leadership to move up.  I applaud Fry having a vision to move up but I think it was doomed from the start.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Thanks for formatting, NorthTexan95.

Tell you what.....I'll bring the entire SMU/North Texas game I have on DVD if you'll format it for YouTube?   It will be of better quality since this vignette was done from my IPhone.   Would you be interested?  If so, then you could just keep the DVD since it would be on YouTube for posterity or give it to UNT video archives if they have such a department.

I plan on being at the MUTS game  on October 1'st  so I could drop it off at Harry's tailgate area for you to pick up if that would be OK with you & Harry?  Let me know when you know.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Just now, PlummMeanGreen said:

Thanks for formatting, NorthTexan95.

Tell you what.....I'll bring the entire SMU/North Texas game I have on DVD if you'll format it for YouTube?   Would you be interested?   Then just keep the DVD since it would be on YouTube for posterity or give it to UNT video archives if they have such a department.

I plan on being at the MUTS game  on October 1'st  so I could drop it off at Harry's tailgate area for you to pick up if that would be OK with you & Harry?  Let me know when you know.

GMG!

I live in Virginia.  I made it for the SMU game but I probably won't be back till next year.  You could mail it to me or someone else on the board may do this.  It's really not hard to do at all. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I live in Virginia.  I made it for the SMU game but I probably won't be back till next year.  You could mail it to me or someone else on the board may do this.  It's really not hard to do at all. 

Anything involving video is Greek to me.   Anyone who knows how want to do this who'll be at the MUTS game?    Other-wise, NorthTexan95, I'll get with you on this later.  Again thanks for formatting this copy today.   GMG! 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I would assume the fight started due to the smoo player that clearly speared a UNT player that was already on the ground and about 5 yards out of bounds.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

I accidentally ended up in the middle of that scrum trying to pick up burning wadding from Boomer.  

I looked up and here comes a mass of fists and SMU dudes swinging their helmets at everyone, and just as I was about to get clobbered by an SMU player Eric Peagram grabs and throws that sob to the ground like a child.  

I'll always be thankful to Eric for that.

Rick

Someone posted North Texas should use part of the same game plan against the Rice Owls this Saturday as in October of 1990 when UNT QB Scott Davis "dink" passed SMU silly all night long with many of those short passes to the great Eric Pegram (who would become a Pittsburg Steeler Super Bowler, of course).

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Scott Davis went to Pittsburgh as a free agent as a running back (?).  I had him speak to my Kiwanis Club about his experiences, short though they were, as a Steeler.

GO MEAN GREEN

Eric Peagram went to Pittsburgh as a free agent running back (not sure if Scott Davis was part of an NFL Team).

I remember the 1990 game very well.  There was quite a mix of UNT and SMU students on the student side of Fouts, and the field scrum very nearly made its way into a fan scrum in the stands.  SMU students may have traveled better to that game than they have to any of the Apogee games.  Lots of emotion during that game.

• Upvote 2

I've only seen the video of this a couple of times and it was wide angle coach's view from press box.  After watching this a few times, I found where Coach Lott is pulling me up from the bottom of a pile where the fight started.  It's a short story and if you catch me at a game I'll be happy to tell you.

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, GMoney said:

I've only seen the video of this a couple of times and it was wide angle coach's view from press box.  After watching this a few times, I found where Coach Lott is pulling me up from the bottom of a pile where the fight started.  It's a short story and if you catch me at a game I'll be happy to tell you.

I remember Lott being right in the middle of it to my right trying to separate people and throwing guys around.  He was pissed.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

6 hours ago, ForneyGreen said:

Eric Peagram went to Pittsburgh as a free agent running back (not sure if Scott Davis was part of an NFL Team).

I remember the 1990 game very well.  There was quite a mix of UNT and SMU students on the student side of Fouts, and the field scrum very nearly made its way into a fan scrum in the stands.  SMU students may have traveled better to that game than they have to any of the Apogee games.  Lots of emotion during that game.

It was the last sell out of Fouts that I remember, and PD were having to ask people to move from sitting in the aisles.  Very little standing room.

And yes, Davis got an invite to a Pittsburgh mini camp in the spring of 1990.  He got cut just in time to make it back to Denton to be Scott Bakula's body double and stuntman in NR.  All the long throws you see in that movie are from him.  They had him throw over and over and over for at least an hour during the day then at night filming his passes.  He had a hell of a strong arm.  Several college players had trouble catching his pass during an NFL open try out he got hired to work at over in Richardson one time. 

He's the only dude I ever knew who when he threw a football you could hear the laces whistle in the wind as it went by. 

Rick

• Upvote 3