Where's the UNT offer?

Cooley

On 12/1/2016 at 9:19 AM, MeanGreen13 said:

I just watched his highlights and this kid is flat out disrespectful to running backs... good God above! Yeah... we have a snowball's chance in hell of getting this kid., it would be a waste of time at this point. 

Never going to hurt to offer... With his ties to UNT we have a small chance... This kid could possibly change a program

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

i agree that our chances are small, but it makes zero sense not to offer.  you make the offer and judge the interest.  don't camp out on his lawn and send him love letters if you have a 0% chance of getting him, but the offer takes basically minimal effort and shows that we are interested in him and have taken notice.  it's not like the kid is from across the country.  at the very least we have the local angle (i know other local teams have that too) and a family member tie in.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

i agree that our chances are small, but it makes zero sense not to offer.  you make the offer and judge the interest.  don't camp out on his lawn and send him love letters if you have a 0% chance of getting him, but the offer takes basically minimal effort and shows that we are interested in him and have taken notice.  it's not like the kid is from across the country.  at the very least we have the local angle (i know other local teams have that too) and a family member tie in.  

agreed.. plus what if something we say clicks? Maybe this kid would love to play from day 1 and start local and go to a school with a family connection.. Look at the Tackle we got from LD Bell, he is coming here because his family has went to UNT...

Also, even if we were to make it into to top 10 or this kids top whatever.. that is something to pride ourselves on, and something else this kid could sale to other potential players on the team as well... If you never try, you will never actually make it

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2016 at 11:30 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Never going to hurt to offer... With his ties to UNT we have a small chance... This kid could possibly change a program

It wouldn't hurt. But I think any chance we may have had is long gone this late in the game. If we would have gotten in early, I'd agree with you more.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• 2 months later...

This (at present) non-offer to a great & loyal alum's kin just adds to our reputation as a school  whose mindset since 1982 when the 'un-doing of all things Fry began & our motto became "we po' but proud" (being po'). 

Am I pissed with what has been the squandering of our athletic program my entire adult life from the wrongful hiring (and keeping too long on the payroll)  of obvious D2 employees parading around as D1 "would be's?"  Damn right I (and others) are pissed!  You who have never seen as much as  4 winning seasons in a row should be twice as pissed. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

This (at present) non-offer to a great & loyal alum's kin just adds to our reputation as a school  whose mindset since 1982 when the 'un-doing of all things Fry began & our motto became "we po' but proud" (being po'). 

Am I pissed with what has been the squandering of our athletic program my entire adult life from the wrongful hiring (and keeping too long on the payroll)  of obvious D2 employees parading around as D1 "would be's?"  Damn right I (and others) are pissed!  You who have never seen as much as  4 winning seasons in a row should be twice as pissed. 

GMG!

It's crap like this that has kept me from getting back on board with this athletic program. So, it's been over a year without an offer?? If for no other reason, we should just as a courtesy to Cooley. Man, I just don't get it. I hope he signs with nUTSAc.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Yall realize these guys were still throwing out '17 offers as of 4/5 days ago?  They've only recently started handing out '18 offers.  I really think they put everything they had into winning as many games as possible during the season and made their phone calls on Tuesday nights for recruiting.  Then once the season was over hit the roads and pounded the pavement to find the guys they wanted to look at further.  I have no inside information or sources just my view from the outside looking in.  I do think we need to either amp our recruiting strategies up, or get better recruiters.  Lost out on too many kids who we should have had a shot with.  Biggest disappointment for me was losing Bradley that late, whats going to piss me off even more is when he gets down there and they keep him on defense like they originally planned.  Then later came back and said they'd keep it open once he got there and see.  BS they're moving him to safety day 1, when he could have been and All-Conference WR for 3 years in a row and had a chance to be our Henderson.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Cooley said:

Now have offers from most Big XII and SEC schools. SMU and UH offered this past week.  La Tech today. Currently the #8th Top 50 (2018) in DFW. No UNT offer. 

Cooley, it is downright mind boggling that UNT has not offered Calvin.  Our chances may be slim, but for the love of all that is green we should offer.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

GMG!

Question, does the staff realize this is a relative of our alumni? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Yall realize these guys were still throwing out '17 offers as of 4/5 days ago?  They've only recently started handing out '18 offers.

Technically they've been handing out 2018 offers for almost a year

http://247sports.com/Player/Spencer-Sanders-76560/TimelineEvents

Looks like we've already offered about 25 guys for the class of 2018.

http://northtexas.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Offers

I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world that we haven't offered, but given the familial ties and the fact that he's easily proven he's worth the offer, I think the offer should've been made a while ago. If things didn't work out for whatever reason at a big program, at least it would help put us in a situation for a Bryce English type situation.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green92 said:

No, I'm saying the coaches owe us no explanation why they didn't offer someone and their reasons are their own. 

The coaches don't owe us any reason as to why they do or don't recruit anyone nor could they comment on the kid either way... That's like getting mad that we didn't offer to the #1 HS QB that is going to Clemson.. The coaches have their reasons and those will never be made public..  

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

And...?

and they haven't offered..

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Technically they've been handing out 2018 offers for almost a year

http://247sports.com/Player/Spencer-Sanders-76560/TimelineEvents

Looks like we've already offered about 25 guys for the class of 2018.

http://northtexas.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Offers

I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world that we haven't offered, but given the familial ties and the fact that he's easily proven he's worth the offer, I think the offer should've been made a while ago. If things didn't work out for whatever reason at a big program, at least it would help put us in a situation for a Bryce English type situation.

Touché. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...