Hats off to Ekeler and the defense

Harry

31 minutes ago, GMoney said:

Defense played solid. Just worn down. I knew our O was bad just not this bad. Long way to go, long season coming, but keeping the faith.

Maybe their defense is just that good?  We had some moments of promise. Double clutching, and running sweeps, or end arounds, were gonna be tough. We had moments to capitalize, but those were few. There are no moral victories in the record books, but I feel good moving forward. 

Edited by Felozano
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Felozano said:

Maybe their defense is just that good?  We had some moments of promise. Double clutching, and running sweeps, or end arounds, are gonna be tough. We had moments to capitalize, but they were few. There are no moral victories in the record books, but I feel good moving forward. 

Receivers in general still not being physical enough and fighting hard enough to catch the dang ball. 

• Upvote 7

D played with heart. Carry that into conference play amd they'll be solid. 

The basic concepts of play calling was missing all night. I understand execution vs a far superior defense will make things tough. That's not the issue. Play calling fundamentals were severely lacking. This must improve. The highest paid staffers we have (HC/OC) were brought in for a reason. Carry your financial weight. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

Offense Line was horrible against FU, but dominating against BCU.   Nether game means a whole lot in determining how they will do against CUSA foes.  

Defense was much stronger than anyone could of guessed going into this year.   Gave up some long plays, but were solid for most of the game with absolutely no help from the offense.  

Score may not show it, but Florida didn't get that cupcake that they were sure they were going to play.   

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I Love Ekeler. Dude has so much energy and he passes that onto his players. I'd love to have a couple of beers with that Man.

Side Note: Nate Brooks was the Defensive MVP of the game. That man played an awesome game tonight

An up-vote just didn't seem like enough for this post.  Completely agree on both statements.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, GMG81 said:

D played with heart. Carry that into conference play amd they'll be solid. 

The basic concepts of play calling was missing all night. I understand execution vs a far superior defense will make things tough. That's not the issue. Play calling fundamentals were severely lacking. This must improve. The highest paid staffers we have (HC/OC) were brought in for a reason. Carry your financial weight. 

Agree. You don't run sweeps and reverses when their d is getting penetration at their end of the field! I believe we will go through some growing pains with the HC, DC, and OC! Just get better every week! GMG 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Agree. You don't run sweeps and reverses when their d is getting penetration at their end of the field! I believe we will go through some growing pains with the HC, DC, and OC! Just get better every week! GMG 

I love Harrell and he will do things but I do think it took him too long to try and deal with the penetration tonight, especially in the 1st half.  Truth is though, what could you do.  They were just dominating the line of scrimmage and playing tight coverage on our receivers..

Just now, Harry said:

I love Harrell and he will do things but I do think it took him too long to try and deal with the penetration tonight, especially in the 1st half.  Truth is though, what could you do.  They were just dominating the line of scrimmage and playing tight coverage on our receivers..

One thing that I have not seen much of this year is the quick slants! Even from the slot guys which I thought would be huge this year! We can't get separation from our speed, so how do you get it? Stacked routes, quick hits , crossing patterns? Someone give me an idea! Thanks!

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Screen them to death. We ran 3 or 4 HB screens all night and that was it. No other variety. Run every screen you have in the book all night long. You do whatever it takes to get more than 53 yards of total offense. There is 0 excuse of that regardless of opponent. This should go without saying. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG81 said:

Screen them to death. We ran 3 or 4 HB screens all night and that was it. No other variety. Run every screen you have in the book all night long. You do whatever it takes to get more than 53 yards of total offense. There is 0 excuse of that regardless of opponent. This should go without saying. 

Even screens must have a little blocking.   NT actually tried a lot of screens, those plays like all the rest just did not work.  

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

One thing that I have not seen much of this year is the quick slants! Even from the slot guys which I thought would be huge this year! We can't get separation from our speed, so how do you get it? Stacked routes, quick hits , crossing patterns? Someone give me an idea! Thanks!

Man I totally agree with you on the slants.  I didn't understand why we didn't try that more often, especially early on.

Just now, Harry said:

Man I totally agree with you on the slants.  I didn't understand why we didn't try that more often, especially early on.

There are many, many things I don't understand why they didn't try. If this were a home game...they'd be hearing a live bitch session from the stands. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

The defense played their hearts out. They are really starting to gel and I saw some flashes of the 2014 defense.

Our o line got manhandled tonight, but i expect major improvement by next week.

If I'm a player, I'm encouraged by this game. We showed up, never quit, and made some really great plays against a top 25 team.

• Upvote 1

There's no play that works well when your o-line gets baylor'ed like ours did.  Florida's defense and especially their line was way too much for our bad offensive line. That being said I haven't been impressed with Graham's play calling this year.

As far as the defense, I thought they played incredible!  Considering they were put in bad situations because of the offense and on the field most of the game, it was a good showing for them.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, GMG81 said:

No excuse. 53 yards. Of TOTAL OFFENSE. 

Then maybe you should get your ass out there. I'm sure you can block, run, pass better than what we throw out there. Hell, call the plays too. Submit your resume to Wren Baker. I'm sure you'll get a call.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

Then maybe you should get your ass out there. I'm sure you can block, run, pass better than what we throw out there. Hell, call the plays too. Submit your resume to Wren Baker. I'm sure you'll get a call.

Attack me because I'm the problem. Nice. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2