Hats off to Ekeler and the defense

Harry

13 hours ago, GMG81 said:

D played with heart. Carry that into conference play amd they'll be solid. 

The basic concepts of play calling was missing all night. I understand execution vs a far superior defense will make things tough. That's not the issue. Play calling fundamentals were severely lacking. This must improve. The highest paid staffers we have (HC/OC) were brought in for a reason. Carry your financial weight. 

We played the 5th best defense in the nation... They could have called the best offensive game in the world and it would have done little to help, we gave up 7 sacks and double digit hurries/pressures.  He had 0 time. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

We played the 5th best defense in the nation... They could have called the best offensive game in the world and it would have done little to help, we gave up 7 sacks and double digit hurries/pressures.  He had 0 time. 

Yes. It very difficult to gauge really anything in a game of this nature. Though I would have liked to see more screens (jail break, tunnel, bubble, throwback, TE, etc.) and 1-read quick throws (slants, outs, hitch, drag, etc.). I just felt the play calling dictated Mason to go through progressions in a lot of his dropbacks. That's a bad formula vs this D and for a true freshman in his 2nd start. 

2 hours ago, GMG81 said:

Attack me because I'm the problem. Nice. 

Sorry dude, but you are not the problem. But you are typical as someone who throws out criticism to others, as if our teams problems are easy to correct. Yet you can't take heat when criticism comes your way. My advice, let the professionals do their job. 

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

Sorry dude, but you are not the problem. But you are typical as someone who throws out criticism to others, as if our teams problems are easy to correct. Yet you can't take heat when criticism comes your way. My advice, let the professionals do their job. 

GO MEAN GREEN!

I think I fair well with criticism. I think fans can't handle people being critical of their team. You may be grouped in that category. I think what I think. I'm not handsomely paid to play sport. These guys are. I understand what your reply to this will be..."It's game 3 in year 1" or "fill in the blank with some kind of insult." 

The fact of the matter is that we let UF set a defensive team record vs our offense. It could be safe to say that we had the lowest output of offensive yards for all teams that fall under the NCAA umbrella...FBS, FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, JUCO, you name it. 53 yards, even vs a great defense in year 1 of a new regime, is a very tough pill to swallow and is a very rare thing to witness let alone happen to your team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG81 said:

I think I fair well with criticism. I think fans can't handle people being critical of their team. You may be grouped in that category. I think what I think. I'm not handsomely paid to play sport. These guys are. I understand what your reply to this will be..."It's game 3 in year 1" or "fill in the blank with some kind of insult." 

The fact of the matter is that we let UF set a defensive team record vs our offense. It could be safe to say that we had the lowest output of offensive yards for all teams that fall under the NCAA umbrella...FBS, FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, JUCO, you name it. 53 yards, even vs a great defense in year 1 of a new regime, is a very tough pill to swallow and is a very rare thing to witness let alone happen to your team. 

Wonder how much offense we ended with if we didn't give up 7 sacks, misplay several routes, have plays called back because of stupid penalties? Not making an excuse just throwing out the thought that maybe it wasn't quite as horrific as it seems.  Yes it's awful and inexcusable, but we're playing a boat load of freshman, RS freshman and sophomores on O.  There will be growing pains, lots of them.  As for the plays you're wanting to see, I am not familiar with ins and outs of air raid so I can't help you there. 

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Wonder how much offense we ended with if we didn't give up 7 sacks, misplay several routes, have plays called back because of stupid penalties? Not making an excuse just throwing out the thought that maybe it wasn't quite as horrific as it seems.  Yes it's awful and inexcusable, but we're playing a boat load of freshman, RS freshman and sophomores on O.  There will be growing pains, lots of them.  As for the plays you're wanting to see, I am not familiar with ins and outs of air raid so I can't help you there. 

With the yardage, not too sure. I briefly looked at the box score this morning. I think Mason has -45 rushing due to sacks. We may have actually gained 100 total yards of offense from scrimmage if you deduct the negative plays. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

GO MEAN GREEN!

I'm sorry, you can't be supportive unless you can play or coach the team at a high level. 

Or does your "logic" only apply one way?

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Stop trying to upset @UNT90 with all your "ifs" while he's still in the penalty box.  

madrous.0.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Stop trying to upset @UNT90 with all your "ifs" while he's still in the penalty box.  

madrous.0.gif

I just want everyone to realize how competitive we were with a VERY good SEC football team.  Yes offensively it was quite a mess, but with all that and the offense giving up 2 points on the safety, our defense held them to less than 3 scores for 3 quarters with 0 offensive help by driving and keeping the defense off the field.  Granted their offense isn't the greatest in the world but it was fun to watch nonetheless. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry but Im just not a fan of this offense.

I've watched the replay of the game twice now. And I'm trying to understand how this offense is supposed to work.  Is it to create space for the backs to run in?  Because dealing with Florida's speed the space is reduced.  They jammed our recievers much of night and sent 4, 5, and 6 rushers at times.  Fine would have had to be a magician to thread that kind of a needle under such pressure.  And it looks like we run block out of a pass-block scheme.  That may be great against equal to lessor opponents but not the caliber of UF.

Our run plays had some very mild success inside, kept the clock rolling and most importantly gave the defense their only time to breath.  Just once I would have loved to see us actually try something different to catch these ranked P5 teams off balance for a quarter of two.  How about an entire series where we transition to a power inside run game.  A real power inside run game and throw to a tight end to bust the blitz.  I've never seen us with a chance to win one of these games without a run game.  

Ask our O line if for just for one or two series they would have loved to lean forward and hit the other guy in the mouth FIRST instead of back pedaling trying to grab a freight train that has a running start.

Again, I'm just not a fan of this offense at this time.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I've watched the replay of the game twice now. And I'm trying to understand how this offense is supposed to work.  Is it to create space for the backs to run in?  Because dealing with Florida's speed the space is reduced.  They jammed our recievers much of night and sent 4, 5, and 6 rushers at times.  Fine would have had to be a magician to thread that kind of a needle under such pressure.  And it looks like we run block out of a pass-block scheme.  That may be great against equal to lessor opponents but not the caliber of UF.

Our run plays had some very mild success inside, kept the clock rolling and most importantly gave the defense their only time to breath.  Just once I would have loved to see us actually try something different to catch these ranked P5 teams off balance for a quarter of two.  How about an entire series where we transition to a power inside run game.  A real power inside run game and throw to a tight end to bust the blitz.  I've never seen us with a chance to win one of these games without a run game.  

Ask our O line if for just for one or two series they would have loved to lean forward and hit the other guy in the mouth FIRST instead of back pedaling trying to grab a freight train that has a running start.

Rick

I don't want this to come off as condescending in anyway.  But we saw that offense go against these same power school and have 0 success.  Our skill players are mostly young, we couldn't get off press coverage and beat them deep, the 5-6 times we did either WR didn't make a play on the ball, or adjusted incorrectly.  There were plays to be made to loosen that secondary up, but we didn't make them, so it allowed their DL to pin their ears back and go.  We also had way to many 1st and 2nd and longs.  When those DL know they don't have to worry about run because the offense is so far behind the sticks it makes their life easier. We also have 10 guys on scholarship on the OL of the 10 I believe 3 had more than one offer, but I'll have to double check.  Anyway, this is going to take time.  I don't want to hear that as much as the next guy but it's the truth.  Our OL should be better next week vs a much lesser Defense.  We shall see then. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

I don't mind the offense. What had me questioning it was the absolute disregard to adjust to what they were doing. They dictated everything the offense did and play calling can minimize that to an extent given the caliber of defense we were up against. Also, Kelvin Smith or some kind of big body receiver has been completely taken out of the offensive game plan since the SMU game. Young QB's love slow moving big targets. We aren't giving our young QB the full set of options. I know the opponent was tough. I know we will take our licks. That's not really my concern. The concern is not giving our 18 yr old quarterback the full set of tools to be successful with better play calling and personnel packages. And I'm not trying to be a know it all because I absolutely do not know it all. I'm just pointing out the issues that personally stuck out to me. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG81 said:

I don't mind the offense. What had me questioning it was the absolute disregard to adjust to what they were doing. They dictated everything the offense did and play calling can minimize that to an extent given the caliber of defense we were up against. Also, Kelvin Smith or some kind of big body receiver has been completely taken out of the offensive game plan since the SMU game. Young QB's love slow moving big targets. We aren't giving our young QB the full set of options. I know the opponent was tough. I know we will take our licks. That's not really my concern. The concern is not giving our 18 yr old quarterback the full set of tools to be successful with better play calling and personnel packages. And I'm not trying to be a know it all because I absolutely do not know it all. I'm just pointing out the issues that personally stuck out to me. 

I need to re-watch did kelvin not play much?

18 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I don't want this to come off as condescending in anyway.  But we saw that offense go against these same power school and have 0 success.  Our skill players are mostly young, we couldn't get off press coverage and beat them deep, the 5-6 times we did either WR didn't make a play on the ball, or adjusted incorrectly.  There were plays to be made to loosen that secondary up, but we didn't make them, so it allowed their DL to pin their ears back and go.  We also had way to many 1st and 2nd and longs.  When those DL know they don't have to worry about run because the offense is so far behind the sticks it makes their life easier. We also have 10 guys on scholarship on the OL of the 10 I believe 3 had more than one offer, but I'll have to double check.  Anyway, this is going to take time.  I don't want to hear that as much as the next guy but it's the truth.  Our OL should be better next week vs a much lesser Defense.  We shall see then. 

Unless you are talking about watching the Corky Nelson era play I've rarely ever seen a pass attack team come out and smash mouth it down someone's throats one series or play then come back out of the huddle into a spread the next.

I want to see something different from the week before..from the series before.  Corky Nelson could pull it off, I see other schools ambush bigger, faster teams as well.  Surely we can do it today?  What's the worst that can happen...lose the game?

31 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Rick - I seem to remember reading that in Seth's first year at most place there were struggles, but year 2 saw major improvements

I sure hope your right but it feels all too eerily like 2007 to me.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Rick - I seem to remember reading that in Seth's first year at most place there were struggles, but year 2 saw major improvements

Incorrect.  He set records.  This is not consistent with his first year results elsewhere.

On 8/7/2016 at 1:40 PM, greenminer said:

In Littrell’s first season as Indiana’s offensive coordinator in 2012, the Hoosiers led the Big Ten and ranked 17th nationally in passing offense (311.2). They finished second in the conference in total offense (442.0) and fourth in scoring offense (30.8).

In his first season in Chapel Hill, Littrell helped Carolina establish several school records, including most passing yards, most passing touchdowns and most first downs.  Quarterback Marquise Williams was a second-team all-conference pick after leading the Tar Heels to a bowl game in his first year as the starter.  Williams set several individual school records, including most rushing yards and rushing touchdowns by a quarterback.  Carolina gained more than 5,000 yards in Littrell’s first season as the play-caller and averaged 429.8 yards per contest.

@FirefightnRick, IMO, there are some flags that Graham might have been hired too early.  But our season is still young and FL front seven is too good.  We're in this together and I am excited to see if Rice/MTSU/Army is different.

I wish I had the data on our passing game.  How much are we throwing within 10 yards vs. beyond 10 yards? beyond 20 yards?

Edited by greenminer

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

Incorrect.  He set records.  This is not consistent with his first year results elsewhere.

@FirefightnRick, IMO, there are some flags that Graham might have been hired too early.  But our season is still young and FL front seven is too good.  We're in this together and I am excited to see if Rice/MTSU/Army is different.

I wish I had the data on our passing game.  How much are we throwing within 10 yards vs. beyond 10 yards? beyond 20 yards?

That Army team is looking good and they crushed UTEP 66-14 this past weekend.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Unless you are talking about watching the Corky Nelson era play I've rarely ever seen a pass attack team come out and smash mouth it down someone's throats one series or play then come back out of the huddle into a spread the next.

I want to see something different from the week before..from the series before.  Corky Nelson could pull it off, I see other schools ambush bigger, faster teams as well.  Surely we can do it today?  What's the worst that can happen...lose the game?

I sure hope your right but it feels all too eerily like 2007 to me.

Rick

Sorry need to clarify, meant the Mac/Chico offense where we tried to play smashmouth football every down vs the big dogs to no avail.  I think this offense will be just fine once the OL learns to get their eyes up recognize blitzes, Mason needs to see them too and make sure his OL adjusts.  I think playing in the Swamp had its effect on us for sure.  2nd play of the game Jeffrey and Mason run up to the line and talk to them, obviously it didn't work out but we won't play in an environment like that again.  There are positives from that game and the offense is better than they showed.  We will be ok.  Have some faith.

8 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

The Mean Green have really stepped it up against their last two SEC opponents now. Even though they've been shut out in both tries, it could be a lot worse than an average score of 28 to 0.

Yes the participation trophy from the YMCA for trying really hard looks great next to the HOD Bowl trophy...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Yes the participation trophy from the YMCA for trying really hard looks great next to the HOD Bowl trophy...

I'd take 24-0 or 32-0 at an SEC school versus a 66-7 homecoming loss to an FCS team.

EDIT: And I'll gladly take that $1M to get under the skin of an SEC school. They probably won't want us to schedule us again for another 69 years.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Downvote 2