Nickname ideas for QB Mason Fine

Harry

7 hours ago, dd992emo said:

While I have been one of his most vocal cheerleaders since Signing Day, I think this might be a little premature. I am looking forward to the Florida game, but tempering my expectations. He has never faced this level of competition and, while I think he will acquit himself admirably, at the end of the day his performance will be graded as part of the overall team and game plan. Besides, if a nickname was going around and got back to him, we will hear an "Aw, shucks..."

If Mason lights up Florida, win or lose, let the nicknames fly.

You having Thrilly D Williams flashbacks?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Biting my tongue in this one, but knew it wouldn't be long until people started suggesting nicknames based on his Native American heritage. Let me guess, you guys are 1/164th Cherokee yourself, so it's okay? Talking about or celebrating his heritage is one thing, but nicknames based on race/ethnicity is generally not okay.. Replace any of the above with even the politically correct "African-American" such as "the African-American Express" and see how well that goes over with our athletes.

Smh. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

20 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Biting my tongue in this one, but knew it wouldn't be long until people started suggesting nicknames based on his Native American heritage. Let me guess, you guys are 1/164th Cherokee yourself, so it's okay? Talking about or celebrating his heritage is one thing, but nicknames based on race/ethnicity is generally not okay.. Replace any of the above with even the politically correct "African-American" such as "the African-American Express" and see how well that goes over with our athletes.

Smh. 

Can't Sack a Gawea? Poca-Handpass? Dances with Endzones? Smoke Signal Caller? Reign Dance? 

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 4

Please do not insult this young man.  He has shown this university nothing but the utmost respect.  Full disclosure: my husband is a member of the Choctaw Tribe.

GMG!

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Smh. 

Ok then....."Flingin' Fine".

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Smh. 

I agree with that for the most part, and if say Buyers has a standout year, I guess The Caucasian Sensation is off the table.

How about nationalities? The Nigerian Nightmare seemed to go over pretty well a few years back, so maybe we can come up with something Swedish for Dillman down the road.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, risinggreen said:

I agree with that for the most part, and if say Buyers has a standout year, I guess The Caucasian Sensation is off the table.

How about nationalities? The Nigerian Nightmare seemed to go over pretty well a few years back, so maybe we can come up with something Swedish for Dillman down the road.

I mean, if you're being fecitious with it like young Quoner above I have no problem. It's just some on here think that those are legitimately good nickname ideas and don't understand why it's not. Dirk had a bit with German nicknames a few years back, I think those are usually okay. 

I mean this stuff happens subtly with white athletes too, how many times has Cole Beasley been called "crafty" instead of fast? That's a whole other deal though. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, risinggreen said:

That is definitely not OK. I'm a white man and I do not endorse this. Psh. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Smh. 

Nobody gets that butt hurt over these moot things.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Mason 'So' Fine!   With a few word changes, of course.  My older sisters bought this kind of music & when they were gone on dates....I snuck back to their bedroom & played them!  I played like I was a DJ. :(

Indian heritage?   I told my late brother-in-law who was half Sioux/half French & from South Dakota (yes, from the tribe who gave Custer a whole new hair style); anyway, I told him he should be proud as heck of his Indian heritage when we were on the subject one day.  Told his son (my UNT alum nephew) the same thing.  

Mason Fine after watching a documentary on he and Jason Pirtle are both extremely (well grounded in their families) mature kids who I think would get a kick out of all this.  All their Mean Green teammates need to know we are equally pulling for all of them to be raging successes, too.

The 1975 Mean Green football season is & has always been mine & others bell weather for where this program should be nationally.  Watching Houston & Cincy on ESPN tonight gives me quite an empty feeling because of all the time we've lost but......this new group on our entire staff looks pretty good to many of us.  Maybe they will get us back to where we should be.  I do like Smatresk quote as seen on my below signature.  He is where this all has to start.  

MASON FINE SAID THIS DURING HIGH SCHOOL: 

“I just came out here, and I was just gonna have fun and enjoy the game of football,” Fine said. “You never know when the game’s going to be taken away from you, so I’m gonna take this all in. Football’s not always gonna be there. I really had fun tonight. Probably the most fun I’ve had in a while.”

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Pirate fans didn’t witness a record be broken Thursday night, but they still got their money’s worth. While fans wore “Man of Steel’ t-shirts in the crowd supporting Fine, he picked up a new nickname in his first game healthy after battling turf toe for two weeks.

http://www.pryordailytimes.com/sports/pirates-thump-tahlequah-sequoyah---in-fine-s-magical/article_c011c6dc-745c-11e5-bacd-f3539072dee8.html

• Upvote 2