'18 QB Jason Bean (Mansfield Lake Ridge)

GMG24

24 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

No doubt, but those were on scrambles primarily, not designed runs.  He can scoot for sure. 

I'm still lost then.  If you're a good coach, and you see your guy can scramble effectively, why not throw in some designed reads/runs for him... instead of bench him?   ...If that is indeed the reason behind him splitting time.

• Thanks 1

Matthew Baldwin, the Lake Travis QB who committed to Colorado State, is starting this year: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/matthew-baldwin/afzABvP_EeS-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/football-stats.htm

I assume Aaron Allen, the Missouri City Ridge Point QB who committed to Louisiana Tech will start also when their season kicks off this weekend. Two games have been cancelled due to the Hurricane Harvey situation.

Someone has posted that La. Tech pulled Bean's offer before Allen committed. Does anyone know for sure whether Colorado State also pulled their offer, causing Bean to default to us?

If so, the question then becomes, did the La. Tech and Colorado State coaching staffs get told by the Lake Ridge staff that Bean would not be the starter in 2017? And, if so, was our staff also told?

Which all could lead to the questions, whose coaching staff really has stronger ties and relationships with Texas HS coaching staffs? Ours? La. Tech's? Colorado State's?

Remember, all of these QB commit in about the same time period. So, someone knew something. Colorado State's commit is starting. La. Tech's probably will. Ours isn't.

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm still lost then.  If you're a good coach, and you see your guy can scramble effectively, why not throw in some designed reads/runs for him... instead of bench him?   ...If that is indeed the reason behind him splitting time.

Scramble runs much different than a true dual threat guy.  Scrambles can turn into straight line runs where speed can help gain yard but no cutting ability/change of direction/elusiveness.  Again waaaayyy to many possibilities without knowing facts. 

Bean ran for 500+ yards and 7 TDs last year.  So, it's not that he can't run.

Head coach is the same, but they've only thrown 32 passes in their first two game.  

Rogers has started both games, and they are running him more than passing.

Sonething has changed.  Either:

-Rogers is so good, he can't be on the bench; a real playmaker.  If so, why are we not being the first to offer him?

-Bean is hurt

-They've changed the offense, and Rogers is simply better running it than Bean.

No matter which it is, our scholarship offer guy is not getting much...and, certainly not in a pass first offense.

I guess the most disappointing aspect of it to me is that it shows our coaches are recruiting scared.  Lots of early offers, maybe too many to guys who are not FBS players.

We are getting quantity, for sure, but not quality from an FBS-ready standpoint.

If we have another losing season, it will be more of the same for the 2019 class.

If we have a fifth losing season in a row in 2018, third in a row from Littrell, that's when I say, cut him loose.

A few people have talked up little Carthel for years, and he's turned around A&M-Commerce in very short order.

We would have nothing to lose because we will have tried everything else over a 20-30 year span:

-Offensive coordinators: Dickey and Littrell

-Old, small time program builders: McCarney

-Hot high school coaches: Parker and Dodge

-Position coaches: Simon

That would leave two untapped sources:

(1) defensive coordinator, or (2) lower division success story, like Carthel.

It doesn't matter to me which it will be.  But, the recruiting effort has to pick up.

FAU is playing big schools tougher immediately under Kiffin.  UTSA is skinning P5?schools and playing them tough.  Arkansas State is now a bowl regular and giving P5s all they want.

No more excuses.  We're always told to wait.  Then, we lose and sit back and watch class after class of lightly recruited players be signed.  It doesn't work.

Accountability all around this time, please.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, CrackBackBlocka said:

Bean ran for 500+ yards and 7 TDs last year.  So, it's not that he can't run.

Head coach is the same, but they've only thrown 32 passes in their first two game.  

Rogers has started both games, and they are running him more than passing.

Sonething has changed.  Either:

-Rogers is so good, he can't be on the bench; a real playmaker.  If so, why are we not being the first to offer him?

-Bean is hurt

-They've changed the offense, and Rogers is simply better running it than Bean.

No matter which it is, our scholarship offer guy is not getting much...and, certainly not in a pass first offense.

I guess the most disappointing aspect of it to me is that it shows our coaches are recruiting scared.  Lots of early offers, maybe too many to guys who are not FBS players.

We are getting quantity, for sure, but not quality from an FBS-ready standpoint.

If we have another losing season, it will be more of the same for the 2019 class.

If we have a fifth losing season in a row in 2018, third in a row from Littrell, that's when I say, cut him loose.

A few people have talked up little Carthel for years, and he's turned around A&M-Commerce in very short order.

We would have nothing to lose because we will have tried everything else over a 20-30 year span:

-Offensive coordinators: Dickey and Littrell

-Old, small time program builders: McCarney

-Hot high school coaches: Parker and Dodge

-Position coaches: Simon

That would leave two untapped sources:

(1) defensive coordinator, or (2) lower division success story, like Carthel.

It doesn't matter to me which it will be.  But, the recruiting effort has to pick up.

FAU is playing big schools tougher immediately under Kiffin.  UTSA is skinning P5?schools and playing them tough.  Arkansas State is now a bowl regular and giving P5s all they want.

No more excuses.  We're always told to wait.  Then, we lose and sit back and watch class after class of lightly recruited players be signed.  It doesn't work.

Accountability all around this time, please.

OK.  Put TFLF down for firing Seth Littrell if we're looking at "untapped resources" for coaching hires & "no more excuses".

I keep seeing some homers mocking the concerned folks on here that they're already calling for Littrell to be fired... but I didn't actually think anyone was.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.  Put TFLF down for firing Seth Littrell if we're looking at "untapped resources" for coaching hires & "no more excuses".

I keep seeing some homers mocking the concerned folks on here that they're already calling for Littrell to be fired... but I didn't actually think anyone was.

Put Ben Gooding down for firing Seth Littrell if we have losing season's this year and next as well. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That's 2 years away, and I would be right there with you.   I just don't think it's going to happen.

I think it's very realistic to have another losing season this year. Year 3 will be the most telling, because at that point he's got three years of recruiting and his "system" guys, including a QB commit who's currently riding the bench.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I think it's very realistic to have another losing season this year. Year 3 will be the most telling, because at that point he's got three years of recruiting and his "system" guys, including a QB commit who's currently riding the bench.

Fine is his 'system' guy.    A losing record this season is not acceptable.   #NewDenton.  Standards Littrell, himself, help set.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/15/2017 at 1:30 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Fine is his 'system' guy.    A losing record this season is not acceptable.   #NewDenton.  Standards Littrell, himself, help set.

A kid who should be in his redshirt freshman year and any other school in America with a RS Freshman QB starting would be pleased with our progress offensively.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

A kid who should be in his redshirt freshman year and any other school in America with a RS Freshman QB starting would be pleased with our progress offensively.  

I totally agree.   Just clarifying the insinuation that Littrell's "system guy" is riding the bench (Pearson), when in-fact, his "system guy" is also starting.  No waiting for "system guys" to develop.  Ask Coach Meyer.    #NewDenton.

On 9/15/2017 at 11:21 PM, @UNTSportsFan said:

From DMN:

Backup quarterback Jason Bean completed five of 13 passing attempts for 148 yards, four touchdowns, one interception while adding 22 yards rushing on six carrie

I'll take an 80% completion:touchdown percentage

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

To hell with first downs, we house 80% of our completions. I like it.

That kind of stat tells me we may have one of those "fell-through-the-cracks" guys on our hands.   I know a lot of people on here like to point at all of the guys who only have 1 offer and say that about them too, but this situation seems a little different.   
He earned all of those offers based on his play at one point or another.  For some reason he's not playing as much, and that may work out well for UNT... keeping other schools away.
The fact that he sees 20-or-so snaps per game and throws 4 TDs with them... says something.