Florida fans have something good to say about North Texas

Harry

Don't lose that sense of humor now.

LL

Seriously, we actually play these games for a reason, and UF is not good enough to just show up and beat anyone.  If you don't believe me, our coach said the same thing today at his presser.  I believe him.

I think our best WR is out for the game.   Seems to be some cloak and dagger stuff on the seriousness of the injury.

LL

26 minutes ago, GTWT said:

They seem impressed with the young ladies of UNT.  Of course, that's why I went to UNT in the first place, so I can relate.

I remember arriving in Denton for Freshman Orientation... registration was in Kerr Hall... the line for girls to get registered was just about to Maple St. and the boys line was about 4 guys...

i figured the odds were great

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

They seem to think North Texas and the Panhandle are the same thing

I can assure you the Cadillac Ranch is a good 5 hours away from UNT campus. E for effort though

Noticed that too, but I think it's a common misconception. Panhandle really is the furthest northern part of Texas, but obviously we call it west Texas or the panhandle so that can be confusing. Honestly didn't know their campus isn't really that close to an ocean either so I'm just as bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LeapingLizard said:

Don't lose that sense of humor now.

LL

Seriously, we actually play these games for a reason, and UF is not good enough to just show up and beat anyone.  If you don't believe me, our coach said the same thing today at his presser.  I believe him.

I think our best WR is out for the game.   Seems to be some cloak and dagger stuff on the seriousness of the injury.

LL

When a head coach has to say in his press conference that his team isn't good enough to just show up and win against "anybody," he really means that week's opponent, and he really means he DOES believe it, he just needs to keep his players' attention.

I appreciate the kind words, but this game won't be close. UNT has 72 scholarship players. 

Just feed and water (beer) us pre game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

:cool: Kudos to Florida Gator fans and alums!   They've compiled quite an anthology of our UNT pop culture.

Other rich, famous (one in prison) North Texas Exes they might want to add photos of are: 

Pat Boone, Roy Orbison, the lovely, sensuous Norah Jones, Actor Thomas "Sideways" Church, NFL Female Broadcast Pioneer & Denton's own Phyllis George,  Peter (Robocop) Weller, Joe Don "Walking Tall" Baker, Uh.....Tex Watson (of the Charlie Manson Gang),  Ely Young Band (who all met & then formed their band at UNT's Clark Hall dorm), Michael Martin "Wildfire" Murphy, Bobby "I Fought the Law But The Law Won" Fuller,  Larry McMurtry, Old Hollywood actresses Joan Blondell and Ann Sheridan, Actor James "Caretaker in the Longest Yard" Hampton & others I know I've left off this list.

GMG!

We're getting old, folks:  Actor James Hampton turned 80 this year.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

If only we had someone in the athletic department who had it in their job description to spread the true origin of our nickname. 

When the school changed the official nickname back in 2002 this was expected.  That's why I wish they kept Eagles as the primary nickname with Mean Green as a 2nd one.

Growing up I've always known us to be the North Texas Eagles as has most people familiar with our university.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

:cool: Kudos to Florida Gator fans and alums!   They've compiled quite an anthology of our UNT pop culture.

Other rich, famous (one in prison) North Texas Exes they might want to add photos of are: 

Pat Boone, Roy Orbison, the lovely, sensuous Norah Jones, Actor Thomas "Sideways" Church, NFL Female Broadcast Pioneer & Denton's own Phyllis George,  Peter (Robocop) Weller, Joe Don "Walking Tall" Baker, Uh.....Tex Watson (of the Charlie Manson Gang),  Ely Young Band (who all met & then formed their band at UNT's Clark Hall dorm), Michael Martin "Wildfire" Murphy, Bobby "I Fought the Law But The Law Won" Fuller,  Larry McMurtry, Old Hollywood actresses Joan Blondell and Ann Sheridan, Actor James "Caretaker in the Longest Yard" Hampton & others I know I've left off this list.

GMG!

We're getting old, folks:  Actor James Hampton turned 80 this year.

You forgot me. I went to NT. Please correct. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green Mean said:

When the school changed the official nickname back in 2002 this was expected.  That's why I wish they kept Eagles as the primary nickname with Mean Green as a 2nd one.

Growing up I've always known us to be the North Texas Eagles as has most people familiar with our university.

I think your facts may be off.   We've had the mascot of Eagles since the 20's.   We didn't have a nickname until the 60's when Mean Green came about.   In the early 2000's, RV started deterring the reference to Eagles in athletics branding, media guides, etc., but the school mascot is still the Eagle.

https://125.unt.edu/tradition/traditions-spirit#scrappy

Mascot = Eagles

Nickname = Mean Green

"UNT Eagles Fight Fight Fight!"

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

No no no.  Joe Greene lifted every car and put them in year order just outside of Amarillo, which is just out side of Denton.  The original color of each Cadillac was green, hence the name Mean Green.  Little known factoid...Lorne Green checked the tire pressure on each car weekly before his death which inspired the movie, "Solent Green."

WE OWN FLORIDA

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

I've never been one to toe the official line. I don't work for the school. I tell everyone that we are the University of North Texas Mean Green Fightin' Eagles. I see nothing wrong with this. 

The nickname has been the Mean Green since the 60s. Think of Alabama. Their mascot is an elephant but their nickname is the crimson tide. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

No no no.  Joe Greene lifted every car and put them in year order just outside of Amarillo, which is just out side of Denton.  The original color of each Cadillac was green, hence the name Mean Green.  Little known factoid...Lorne Green checked the tire pressure on each car weekly before his death which inspired the movie, "Solent Green."

WE OWN FLORIDA

GO MEAN GREEN

little known fact: Mean Joe's mom was named Norma Blue and his dad Jack Yellow and together they made Mean Joe. This was before he founded UNT in the city named after him -- Denton. John B. Denton was Joe's nom de plume. 

48 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

little known fact: Mean Joe's mom was named Norma Blue and his dad Jack Yellow and together they made Mean Joe. This was before he founded UNT in the city named after him -- Denton. John B. Denton was Joe's nom de plume. 

little known fact: Mean Joe was a doctor. He mainly prescribed coke. 

His nickname was Dr. J

• Upvote 2