Another Poll of Reality

untjim1995

40 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Beat your drum. I swear, I truly believe you are anxiously anticipating failure to satisfy your internal righteousness. We get it, man. People think we suck really bad. Let's see how much we change that perception over the course of the season. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Beat your drum. I swear, I truly believe you are anxiously anticipating failure to satisfy your internal righteousness. We get it, man. People think we suck really bad. Let's see how much we change that perception over the course of the season. 

Yeah, man!! We better get to 6 wins or Seth Littrell better GTFO!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

On 9/7/2016 at 4:56 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It's a rebuilding year, but I think we'll finish the year in this and other polls a good amount better than #128.

Whether we do or not, the point is to explain to homers on here that think we are going to win 6 or more games that we are still the worst FBS program in the country. Instead, we get hit with this is just an excuse for Seth Littrell to use as a crutch. The man has 68 Effing Scholarship players back from the worst team in the country last year that suffered the worst loss in modern college football history. And since Texas State beat Ohio in 2OTs, we are now supposed to expect more like Texas State? Guess what--Texas State would kill us right now...because they have FBS talent on their team across the board, even if it's SBC level. We don't...and Littrell knows it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 13

12 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Whether we do or not, the point is to explain to idiot homers on here that think we are going to win 6 or more games that we are still the worst FBS program in the country. 

But it is the point because you are making it the point. We are not the worst program in week 1. Our performance compared to other schools indicates this.

We've performed better offensively than the next few schools, and on par defensively with a few others, yet we are still last. This list is out of date. UCF should be higher, for example.

There is excitement about the program, and you know what? That's ok. Deriding them for expecting better is not, because it is all relative.

I expect 4 wins, and I think that would be a success precisely because of the depth problem you stated above. And many others have stated the same, varying success as 1, 2, 3 wins, or even 6 wins.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Aldo said:

But it is the point because you are making it the point. We are not the worst program in week 1. Our performance compared to other schools indicates this.

We've performed better offensively than the next few schools, and on par defensively with a few others, yet we are still last. This list is out of date. UCF should be higher, for example.

There is excitement about the program, and you know what? That's ok. Deriding them for expecting better is not, because it is all relative.

I expect 4 wins, and I think that would be a success precisely because of the depth problem you stated above. And many others have stated the same, varying success as 1, 2, 3 wins, or even 6 wins.

Aldo, tell me who the 4 opponents are that we beat this year that you are expecting us to beat...

• Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

No because that is not the point of this conversation.

You expect us to win 4 games this year, according to your post. We have 11 games left. How is that not part of the equation? I think its a big part of why we are considered last on this list--they are telling the college football world that they don't expect to see us win against any FBS teams on the schedule. I figure we have two games we win this year, BC and UTSA, with Army being hopefully competitive.

Again, who are the 4 wins you expect us to get this season going to be against?

• Downvote 5

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You expect us to win 4 games this year, according to your post. We have 11 games left. How is that not part of the equation? I think its a big part of why we are considered last on this list--they are telling the college football world that they don't expect to see us win against any FBS teams on the schedule. I figure we have two games we win this year, BC and UTSA, with Army being hopefully competitive.

Again, who are the 4 wins you expect us to get this season going to be against?

Who we beat isn't part of the equation, unless it's Florida because our SOS is so favorable.

Even with depth issues, we have performed better than the handful of teams ranked above us, who I must assume have a better roster situation than us. That is my only argument against this bad ranking. We're not even the worst in our own league.

Also, it is week 1.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Aldo said:

Who we beat isn't part of the equation, unless it's Florida because our SOS is so favorable.

Even with depth issues, we have performed better than the handful of teams ranked above us, who I must assume have a better roster situation than us. That is my only argument against this bad ranking. We're not even the worst in our own league.

Also, it is week 1.

I've never seen a poster say they expect a certain number of wins, then not say who we will get those wins from. Its ok, if you're wrong, its an internet forum. Hell, if we win 3 or more games, the posts about Seth Littrell becoming a damn near legendary coach around here will never cease from me.

I want Littrell to be our next Hayden Fry--and I think its reasonable to believe he can do that-- if he can get highly recruited Texas HS talent to come here and buy into his system.

Its ok to recognize that we are basically kneeling on ashes right now, trying to even stand up again--its not going to make you less cool for being a UNT fan or that you'll look bad for admitting it.

• Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Also, it is week 1.

THIS!!!!! New System on both ends so just because we didn't beat SMU doesn't mean we are destined for failure and will lose out. This team is only going to get better the more these kids work in this system

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I've never seen a poster say they expect a certain number of wins, then not say who we will get those wins from. Its ok, if you're wrong, its an internet forum. Hell, if we win 3 or more games, the posts about Seth Littrell becoming a damn near legendary coach around here will never cease from me.

If you really want to know, I've probably already posted it. But my refusal to do so here is to not distract from the current conversation. It matters not who I think we will beat or not beat. The number of 4 is a relative expectation of we aren't good enough to go to bowl, but we aren't the worst team in the league or the nation. As is your number of 0, or 1 (whatever it was). Bowl contention is also another expectation. People have different expectations, and that's ok.

Its ok to recognize that we are basically kneeling on ashes right now, trying to even stand up again--its not going to make you less cool for being a UNT fan or that you'll look bad for admitting it.

Yeah it's totally fine. I agree with that. 

All I am doing is challenging your presentation of the CBS list as a reason that we are actually bad.

We may be not good, but we're not the worst FBS in college football after week 1.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Aldo said:

We are like 75th in terms of offense, 119 in terms of defense (yards). And 85th in points scored and 101 for PA.

I don't believe this specific list.

Especially considering how bad Charlotte got roasted.

We also have the 26th ranked passing offense right now, so that's something..

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:38 PM, untjim1995 said:

Whether we do or not, the point is to explain to idiot homers on here that think we are going to win 6 or more games that we are still the worst FBS program in the country. Instead, we get hit with this is just an excuse for Seth Littrell to use as a crutch. The man has 68 Effing Scholarship players back from the worst team in the country last year that suffered the worst loss in modern college football history. And since Texas State beat Ohio in 2OTs, we are now supposed to expect more like Texas State? Guess what--Texas State would kill us right now...because they have FBS talent on their team across the board, even if it's SBC level. We don't...and Littrell knows it.

Here is the problem with your post and another poster on this board.  It is fine to disagree with posters on this board, but when they don't share your vision of doom and gloom you resort to calling them "idiot homers."  Not one person is using anything as a crutch for Coach Littrell.

We are not the worst FBS team based upon week one performance.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Here is the problem with your post and another poster on this board.  It is fine to disagree with posters on this board, but when they don't share your vision of doom and gloom you resort to calling them "idiot homers."  Not one person is using anything as a crutch for Coach Littrell.

We are not the worst FBS team based upon week one performance.

You are right, I shouldn't have put in the word "idiot"--I think I let my frustration with a few of the younger posters get the best of me.

I agree with your last sentence, too. But this poll shows what most people around college football thinks of us currently.

Look, I love the Littrell hire--I think he has everything we could ask for in a brand new head coach--young, energetic, bright, good family man, etc...What I fear around here, from reading so many posts is that there are a few folks here who have expressed views that we should be winning right away, that we should have beaten SMU, except for a few plays. Well, it may be true, but SMU whipped us for the most part--and they aren't good. They just happen to be further along on the rebuilding process. I just don't want the fanbase to get upset when we are losing a lot his year--we don't have the talent and what is here was recruited for a polar opposite offensive system. You sound like you understand this. But others get riled up because some other FBS school in the state won a game against a MAC school in 2OTs. Well, that other team may have lost scholarship players, too, but my guess is that their new coach didn't bring in an offense that was 180 degrees different from their previous coach, either. Nor did that team suffer a loss so catastrophic that the entire team's character had to come into question.

Sorry for the insulting words earlier in the thread--I'll work to stay above that. And that even applies to Ben Gooding...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Winning the next 2 of 3 is a very realistic expectation. 

Florida is a sure loss so what you are saying that BC and @Rice are sure things.  I don't see that.  

We should beat BC, but we won't be favored @Rice.  I think the most realistic view is that we will be 1-3 after the first four games of the season.  

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Florida is a sure loss so what you are saying that BC and @Rice are sure things.  I don't see that.  

We should beat BC, but we won't be favored @Rice.  I think the most realistic view is that we will be 1-3 after the first four games of the season.  

I didn't say, "for sure thing." I said realistic expectation. And I think it is a realistic expectation. Let's put it like this, I wouldn't be surprised at all sitting at 2-2 going into week 5. 

You are right, I shouldn't have put in the word "idiot"--I think I let my frustration with a few of the younger posters get the best of me.

I agree with your last sentence, too. But this poll shows what most people around college football thinks of us currently.

Look, I love the Littrell hire--I think he has everything we could ask for in a brand new head coach--young, energetic, bright, good family man, etc...What I fear around here, from reading so many posts is that there are a few folks here who have expressed views that we should be winning right away, that we should have beaten SMU, except for a few plays. Well, it may be true, but SMU whipped us for the most part--and they aren't good. They just happen to be further along on the rebuilding process. I just don't want the fanbase to get upset when we are losing a lot his year--we don't have the talent and what is here was recruited for a polar opposite offensive system. You sound like you understand this. But others get riled up because some other FBS school in the state won a game against a MAC school in 2OTs. Well, that other team may have lost scholarship players, too, but my guess is that their new coach didn't bring in an offense that was 180 degrees different from their previous coach, either. Nor did that team suffer a loss so catastrophic that the entire team's character had to come into question.

Sorry for the insulting words earlier in the thread--I'll work to stay above that. And that even applies to Ben Gooding...

You don't know what SMU is any better than you currently know what we are. You just drivel your opinion and make no mistake it is just your opinion. And, of course, you're entitled to it no matter how bad it is. The thing I have with you is that you are try and have been trying for quite a while now to define a season for a team sitting behind a keyboard with an anonymous name. Let the team orchestrate their season because if it was up to you this season would already be over. THIS team is not THAT team. Team's change and evolve even from year to year, particularly with a coaching change. We (not me) all sit here and say the whole 68 scholarship thing (excuse) and that's great and all. But, to use a quote from our coach...At the end of the day they will define their season and they can't let 85 on the field. There are only 11 allowed on the field regardless of scholarship numbers. So, you (like 90) will drivel your agendadized opinion of self righteousness just to reign supreme in your own mind. Bottom line...get out of the way and let this team define who they are.  

11 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I didn't say, "for sure thing." I said realistic expectation. And I think it is a realistic expectation. Let's put it like this, I wouldn't be surprised at all sitting at 2-2 going into week 5. 

You don't know what SMU is any better than you currently know what we are. You just drivel your opinion and make no mistake it is just your opinion. And, of course, you're entitled to it no matter how bad it is. The thing I have with you is that you are try and have been trying for quite a while now to define a season for a team sitting behind a keyboard with an anonymous name. Let the team orchestrate their season because if it was up to you this season would already be over. THIS team is not THAT team. Team's change and evolve even from year to year, particularly with a coaching change. We (not me) all sit here and say the whole 68 scholarship thing (excuse) and that's great and all. But, to use a quote from our coach...At the end of the day they will define their season and they can't let 85 on the field. There are only 11 allowed on the field regardless of scholarship numbers. So, you (like 90) will drivel your agendadized opinion of self righteousness just to reign supreme in your own mind. Bottom line...get out of the way and let this team define who they are.  

Ben, I apologized to you...just accept it.