Dual Quarterback

mgfan

1 hour ago, dd992emo said:

What is that saying..."If you have two quarterbacks you don't have a quarterback."

Well we had 4 last year.......  I'm thinking the camp was too close to call. I'm with Doctor JJ, I would hate to see a Redshirt burned to have him sit later in the year. Is there certain number of plays or games you have to play for you to burn your redshirt? Or once you play it is gone?

10 minutes ago, mgfan said:

Well we had 4 last year.......  I'm thinking the camp was too close to call. I'm with Doctor JJ, I would hate to see a Redshirt burned to have him sit later in the year. Is there certain number of plays or games you have to play for you to burn your redshirt? Or once you play it is gone?

For a standard redshirt, one play on the field and it's burned.

3 hours ago, mgfan said:

I have heard UNT may be using a dual quarterback system. I am interested to see if Mason Fine will be seeing playing time. Thoughts.......

Where are you hearing this?  From players?

3 hours ago, mgfan said:

I have heard UNT may be using a dual quarterback system. I am interested to see if Mason Fine will be seeing playing time. Thoughts.......

I hope not! He is #2 and would like to see him play only if he has to!! Try to maintain the red shirt. Alec " stay healthy my friend " GMG 

5 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I hope not! He is #2 and would like to see him play only if he has to!! Try to maintain the red shirt. Alec " stay healthy my friend " GMG 

It is pretty much impossible to have your starting QB in every game start to finish even on the the healthiest of years.  By naming Fine the number 2 I fully believe that Litrell plans on burning his redshirt.  Don’t be surprised if he is put in for reps in the event of a blowout. 

Just now, HoustonEagle said:

It is pretty much impossible to have your starting QB in every game start to finish even on the the healthiest of years.  By naming Fine the number 2 I fully believe that Litrell plans on burning his redshirt.  Don’t be surprised if he is put in for reps in the event of a blowout. 

I wouldn't mind him getting substantial back up minutes as we blow out our many opponents. 

• Upvote 1

What I think is that SL believes he can recruit many more High Caliber QB's to come to UNT over his tenure here, and does not have to worry about red shirting any of them.  Fine will play this year, and have an opportunity to start for 3 years, but will have to win the job against, what I hope to be a constant flow of competitive QB's coming into our system....  This is what I am hoping for....

• Upvote 2

With the assumption that we'd be bringing in average to above average talent at QB:

If we burn Fine's redshirt, that gives us wiggle room with Pearson's redshirt, and any other subsequent QB recruits. That would allow Pearson to wait until he's a RS So/Jr to start. That pleases me. 

This would also create a steady stream of stability for the QB position. Sacrifice a redshirt now so we can pile them on later.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I thought Littrell was pretty clear on this at the radio show, and seemed sincere.  He said that his preference would be to redshirt Fine, but "heaven forbid" if something happened to his #1 QB, he's sending in his 2nd best QB. 

Ideally, he would already have seen some game snaps before going in at a crucial situation.  If he is the clear #2, the odds of him being able to keep his redshirt are clse to nil.  You want to try to work him in for occasional snaps in low pressure situations to better prepare him for when he is needed to help win a game.