Advice for first game at Apogee

cjones

^.  Yep.  Go to Roosters for lunch.  Afterwards, grab a beer and enjoy the patio at Oak Street Drafthouse or Eastside, then head over to Apogee at 4 to catch the walk-through.  Wander through the parking lot for an hour taking in the sights, then head into the stadium around 5:30pm.

That's pretty much a perfect day in Denton, TX, USA.

28 minutes ago, TJC80 said:

Will also be my first game at Apogee.  Question:  Heard that Roosters is a great restaurant there in Denton.  If anyone is familiar with it, how bad is the pregame crowd?  If we get there by 4:00, any chance at making it to the game for kickoff at 6:00?   If not Roosters, any other recommended pre-game restaurants?  Appreciate the guidance.

You need to be at Apogee no later than 4:00pm, so I would plan on getting to Rooster's by 2:00pm.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TJC80 said:

Will also be my first game at Apogee.  Question:  Heard that Roosters is a great restaurant there in Denton.  If anyone is familiar with it, how bad is the pregame crowd?  If we get there by 4:00, any chance at making it to the game for kickoff at 6:00?   If not Roosters, any other recommended pre-game restaurants?  Appreciate the guidance.

I would suggest getting to Apogee at 4:00 to take in the tailgating scene. I don't know your age or circumstances, but if walking doesn't bother you, you definitely want to take in the East side of the stadium's tailgate scene. 

There is a "kids zone" with fun things for the little ones to do right by victory hall (on the north side of the dorm buildings to the southeast of Apogee). There is beerman normally playing in the Budweiser tailgate area. If you like country, you will like him (for a while, at least. He seems to wear on some people's nerves). 

Take your time, stretch your legs, and look around. We are a friendly lot, even if you are a dirty SMU fan. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks everyone for the input.   Best place to get football day info is the fan board.  

UNT90, the kid zones stopped for us about 15 years ago, but will definitely look for the beer guy!!   Actually, we have one kid enrolled at SMU and another transferring to UNT in the Spring.   Both excellent schools and blessed that the kiddos decided to stay close.  

Looking forward to a great game, a cold beer, ...and a cold beer!  

Best of luck to both teams!!!

• Upvote 3

Does anyone know if there are any official pregame festivities around the stadium. I remember at Fouts there always seemed to be a fenced-off area with beer stands and live music. @UNT90 mentioned at Budweiser tailgate area earlier in the thread, which I imagine is the reincarnation of this at Apogee.

I'm actually doing my bachelor party at the game this weekend, and I'm bringing a bunch of folks from New York with me. Including and Aussie and a Canadian who have never been to a college football game. So I at least want to show these idiots a real Denton tailgating experience. Even if the actual game winds up to be a Pillow Fight. 

Any advice is super welcome. 

(Also, I sort of can't believe that none of this is listed anywhere on MGS.com. Like, maybe under the "Game Day" tab. Something we should probably add to the To Do List...)

Edited by Graham
  • Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Graham said:

Does anyone know if there are any official pregame festivities around the stadium. I remember at Fouts there always seemed to be a fenced-off area with beer stands and live music. @UNT90 mentioned at Budweiser tailgate area earlier in the thread, which I imagine is the reincarnation of this at Apogee.

I'm actually doing my bachelor party at the game this weekend, and I'm bringing a bunch of folks from New York with me. Including and Aussie and a Canadian who have never been to a college football game. So I at least want to show these idiots a real Denton tailgating experience. Even if the actual game winds up to be a Pillow Fight. 

Any advice is super welcome. 

(Also, I sort of can't believe that none of this is listed anywhere on MGS.com. Like, maybe under the "Game Day" tab. Something we should probably add to the To Do List...)

The Budweiser area is pretty lame. I would hit tailgates or the alumni Pavillion. 

Lots of friendly tailgaters.

EDIT: Since its your bachelor party, you single male friends will appreciate roaming the hill and hitting on (if in your early 30s or lower) co-eds that roam that area. Also, wear something that makes it clear you are the bachelor and you are at your stag party. This will get you many many many invites into tailgates, and maybe even some juvenile hijinks with the sorority tailgates... 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Alumni Pavillion is fine...for a warmup! Not rowdy enough for a bachelor party to my way of thinking.

I always go by there for a while to "warm up" and touch my brick for good luck. A good grilled sausage wrap and some cold beer to get your party started.

Edited by EagleMBA

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

very sound advice. Thanks @UNT90

You are welcome. Swing by our tailgate and say hello. It is demarcated by the "Best damn tailgate" signs just south of the Budweiser area (if it's in the same place this year) or just to the east of the north end of victory hall. Right by the dumpsters (appropriately enough). 

There is good food to be had.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Anyone know when the parking lots open?

Website says 7am. 

1 hour ago, EagleMBA said:

Alumni Pavillion is fine...for a warmup! Not rowdy enough for a bachelor party to my way of thinking.

I always go by there for a while to "warm up" and touch my brick for good luck. A good grilled sausage wrap and some cold beer to get your party started.

Note:. You may have to be a member of the Alumni Association to get into the Pavilion.  Sometimes they've had somewhat of an open house for the first game of the season, but I haven't seen that advertised this year.  

10 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Website says 7am. 

Note:. You may have to be a member of the Alumni Association to get into the Pavilion.  Sometimes they've had somewhat of an open house for the first game of the season, but I haven't seen that advertised this year.  

Website lies. People be camping overnight.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Website says 7am. 

OOOPS! You are correct. As a lifetime member, I forget about those things. If he is a member, he may be able to bring a couple buddies as guests but surely not a group.

35 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Website says 7am. 

Ya, I was thinking the first game was open house. Maybe when @Christopher Walker Sees this he can jump in and let us know. 

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

What time does Coach fly by on his eagle?  That is not to be missed.

It will be quite an event...be sure to bring a plastic hooded poncho to guard against eagle "exhaust".

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Swing by our tailgate and say hello. It is demarcated by the "Best damn tailgate" signs just south of the Budweiser area (if it's in the same place this year) or just to the east of the north end of victory hall. Right by the dumpsters (appropriately enough)

Will do! Thanks man. Looking forward to some dumpster diving 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Graham said:

Will do! Thanks man. Looking forward to some dumpster diving 

The breeze should be from the E-SE so you will be tailgating upwind of the dumpster. The SMUt reserved seating section...not so much.

Edited by EagleMBA

On 8/30/2016 at 4:21 PM, cjones said:

Looking for any advice for Gameday Saturday.  Going to my first game at Apogee.  Any tailgate recommendations to go to?  Parking?  How early should you arrive?   What's the traffic like before and after the game? stuff like that.  Thanks! GMG!

Be very loud when we are on defense. Don't get all loaded up on alcohol, you will end up going to the bathroom all night and miss the game. Learn the words to our alma mater and fight song. Stand up for both. Make sure you shout the "North" "Texas" chant with the rest of us. Later in the season, when it gets cold, be sure to get you some hot chocolate from Beth Marie's. Bring friends, and teach them what you have learned. Go Mean Green!!!