I absolutely forgot...

Ben Gooding

41 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

That game was Mac'd/McNulty'd right down the craphole so hard that I let every single one of my season tickets sit on the dresser without a stub removed.  In front of that inspired crowd we took to Ford... you could tell right then it was about to be a lying sham of a season.  Whatever lip service that had been paid prior to that about "winning" was as transparent the tears I cried into that terrible Audacity beer I chugged on John William's bus ride back to Denton.... 

Agreed. That game last year was extremely telling. Ugh 

• Upvote 1

3-3-5 will put more speed on the field. Better able to spy Davis from multiple looks with better athletes.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see us hang 30+ on Saturday. We mightve been the worst defense in FBS last year. Yall forget SMU wasn't too far behind us in terms of suckage.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green P1 said:

That game was Mac'd/McNulty'd right down the craphole so hard that I let every single one of my season tickets sit on the dresser without a stub removed.  In front of that inspired crowd we took to Ford... you could tell right then it was about to be a lying sham of a season.  Whatever lip service that had been paid prior to that about "winning" was as transparent the tears I cried into that terrible Audacity beer I chugged on John William's bus ride back to Denton.... 

I still remember how bad it was when we were like 9 & goal and we couldn't even make a simple passing play to get the 6 points. McNulty would send them sailing way over the receiver's heads.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

I've already been chastised in the past week for pointing out player "fellow alumni" shortcomings.  

McNulty didn't send them sailing way over the receivers' heads, he merely had broader horizons and higher aspirations with his throws.

Calling out a player for poor performance is one thing.  Calling them a joke, questioning their character or parentage, etc is just way out of line.

Not saying your post did that (Hell, I don't even remember if I am the one who chastised, it all runs together)  but I was just getting tired of the dogpiles on our fellow alumni.

Like I have said before:

If a player is working his ass off and doing what he needs to do in the classroom and in preparation then we owe him nothing but respect.  If he doesn't have the skills to be a top player, DON'T BLAME HIM IT'S THE COACHES FAULT.  

The player is just someone who decided to come here, to work hard for a scholarship, and who tries to represent out school with pride.  The coaches are employees who will leave us at the first better offer.  If they can't recruit the right talent, or teach that talent, jump all over them.  They deserve it, we pay them a lot of money to do the job correctly.  

AT THE END OF THE DAY, we'll forget that phrase if SL doesn't win.  But an alumni is always an alumni.  

11 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

3-3-5 will put more speed on the field. Better able to spy Davis from multiple looks with better athletes.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see us hang 30+ on Saturday. We mightve been the worst defense in FBS last year. Yall forget SMU wasn't too far behind us in terms of suckage.

We weren't the worst defense to begin the season. Out defense kept us in games early in the season but the offense was so horrible they eventually tired out and by mid season had given up.   Our offense was so bad I was surprised to be up that late in the game.  

SMU does have a big advantage in that they are in their second year with their new systems.  We'll see how that works out for them in week 1. 

• Upvote 2

Last year, before the SMU game, I said on here that if we couldn't beat them, there wasn't one other FBS school we could beat. Well, Portland State showed that we couldn't even beat a FCS team that was ok. If it wasn't for UTSA being down to their 5th string QB against us here in Denton, we would have been 0-12.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

We weren't the worst defense to begin the season. Out defense kept us in games early in the season but the offense was so horrible they eventually tired out and by mid season had given up.   Our offense was so bad I was surprised to be up that late in the game.  

SMU does have a big advantage in that they are in their second year with their new systems.  We'll see how that works out for them in week 1. 

I think that is being highly overrated. It just seems trendy to say. We don't even have a playbook on O. So many teams go through coordinator changes every year and most wouldn't even know unless they were told so. A lot of these guys, particularly skill positions, grew up playing in similar offenses in Texas HS FB. They understand the concepts from high school. 

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Last year, before the SMU game, I said on here that if we couldn't beat them, there wasn't one other FBS school we could beat. Well, Portland State showed that we couldn't even beat a FCS team that was ok. If it wasn't for UTSA being down to their 5th string QB against us here in Denton, we would have been 0-12.

But utsa DID throw their "5th" stringer out and we DID beat them and we WEREN'T 0-12. You and 90 seemingly almost root for failure. And Portland St wasn't just "ok." They were an FCS top 10 seeded playoff team (still no excuse). 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think that is being highly overrated. It just seems trendy to say. We don't even have a playbook on O. So many teams go through coordinator changes every year and most wouldn't even know unless they were told so. 

What the absolute hell?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

But utsa DID throw their "5th" stringer out and we DID beat them and we WEREN'T 0-12. You and 90 seemingly almost root for failure. And Portland St wasn't just "ok." They were an FCS top 10 seeded playoff team (still no excuse). 

I can't speak for 90--he does it on his own pretty well...but I deal in reality. I saw us at 4-8 last year, beating SMU, Portland State, UTSA, and UTEP because we had the absolute worst QB situation I have ever seen us have--before the season started. But my caveat was a loss to SMU meant 1-11, almost guaranteed. It turns out, miraculously, we got there.

I guess not picking us to go 8-4 before the season means that I was "rooting for failure", but it really just makes someone look incredibly out of touch to have thought this before last year. Or stubborn. Or not really anything but a homer.

You haven't been around long enough to understand how much a season like last year hurts the program. It takes years to make your way back up from it, if you can make it back up. Don't just look at us, either. Look at USM, having to go 0-12, 1-11, and 3-9 before last year's 9 win season. Look at SMU--they won 1 game in 2014, 2 games last year (one of which was because they played us), and probably won't win 4 games this year. Its exactly why realistic fans KNOW that 2 wins this year will represent progress here.

1 minute ago, Quoner said:

What the absolute hell?

You're feeding the beast here, Quoner...kinda of UNT_Playmaker-like, just to go back in time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You're feeding the beast here, Quoner...kinda of UNT_Playmaker-like, just to go back in time.

I've been avoiding most of the football forum, but figured since the dude was in the +90s, things were improving. Good to know the bar is really just that much lower across the board. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Quoner said:

I've been avoiding most of the football forum, but figured since the dude was in the +90s, things were improving. Good to know the bar is really just that much lower across the board. 

Up votes are given just for saying hard-hitting stuff like 'We rock because I think so..." or "North Texas belongs in the SEC, Big XII, etc..."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

while going over last years game we were up 13-10 going into the 4th quarter. Then Davis wore us down with his legs. As horrible as we were last year (and we were very horrible), we had this team on the ropes going into the 4th on their home turf. If that's not encouraging, I'm not sure what will get you up for this game. 

The second half field position of them starting on their own 42 while we started on our own 20 surely didn't help. Our 4th quarter possessions ended in fumble, punt, and interception so that didn't help either. Oh and there was the dominating 220 yards of total offense we put up that game. I think the defense got discouraged by the atrocity that was our offense and just quit giving maximum effort. If we had any degree of quarterback play, we'd have won that game easily. If you'd have put in HS senior Mason Fine, we'd have won that game. We couldn't pass, they knew it and we were screwed. 16 of 34 for 128 yards, 2 ints, 2 sacks, and no tds won't get it done, not even against a scrub team like SMUg.

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

The second half field position of them starting on their own 42 while we started on our own 20 surely didn't help. Our 4th quarter possessions ended in fumble, punt, and interception so that didn't help either. Oh and there was the dominating 220 yards of total offense we put up that game. I think the defense got discouraged by the atrocity that was our offense and just quit giving maximum effort. If we had any degree of quarterback play, we'd have won that game easily. If you'd have put in HS senior Mason Fine, we'd have won that game. We couldn't pass, they knew it and we were screwed. 16 of 34 for 128 yards, 2 ints, 2 sacks, and no tds won't get it done, not even against a scrub team like SMUg.

No way Fine sees the field last year. Mac would never have allowed it.

• Upvote 2