SMU projected starting OT done for year

@UNTSportsFan

Per recruiting sites espn and 247, his only offer was SMU. He was rated a 3 star by espn and borderline 2/3 star by 247. I'm fairly new to college sports (started following when I got to UNT in 2011) and was hoping I could get a better understand why a kid like this wouldn't get an offer by UNT. Decent sized high school, well regarded by recruiting services, local, and no UNT offer. I know you can't offer everybody but is this just a miss by the previous staff? I know SMU isn't any better than us but still... 

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Per recruiting sites espn and 247, his only offer was SMU. He was rated a 3 star by espn and borderline 2/3 star by 247. I'm fairly new to college sports (started following when I got to UNT in 2011) and was hoping I could get a better understand why a kid like this wouldn't get an offer by UNT. Decent sized high school, well regarded by recruiting services, local, and no UNT offer. I know you can't offer everybody but is this just a miss by the previous staff? I know SMU isn't any better than us but still... 

You answered your own question. They were, for the most part, bad at evaluating talent. 

*Worse at coaching them 

**And if it's possible, worse at game preparation..particularly on the road. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He had an existing relationship with a coach at SMU and took the offer immediately. Despite my best efforts... But like you said, no offer from us anyways..

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

17 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

He had an existing relationship with a coach at SMU and took the offer immediately. Despite my best efforts... But like you said, no offer from us anyways..

No offer means not even trying in my opinion. At least it sounds like he went where he wanted to be.

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Did he pop his collar during that interview?

I like to think the athletes aren't all like the general student population. After all, they are there for sports and not for the image/social life associated with spending 60k per year for school.

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

No offer means not even trying in my opinion. At least it sounds like he went where he wanted to be.

I like to think the athletes aren't all like the general student population. After all, they are there for sports and not for the image/social life associated with spending 60k per year for school.

Yeah, I always wondered why we didn't offer as well. He would have gone to SMU anyways, but this was an example of us missing on local talent I witnessed first-hand. He had a breakout season last year so this is a big disappointment but his spirits are high. Big loss for SMU as well. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Yeah, I always wondered why we didn't offer as well. He would have gone to SMU anyways, but this was an example of us missing on local talent I witnessed first-hand. He had a breakout season last year so this is a big disappointment but his spirits are high. Big loss for SMU as well. 

Should get a medical red shirt though... If he graduates in 4 years he would have 2 years of eligibility left. Could get a graduate degree for free if he is able to continue playing and is accepted into a graduate program. Bright spot to look at.

26 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Should get a medical red shirt though... If he graduates in 4 years he would have 2 years of eligibility left. Could get a graduate degree for free if he is able to continue playing and is accepted into a graduate program. Bright spot to look at.

I'm a little murky on the rules, but he did already use a redshirt his Freshman year. However, last year he was only a redshirt freshman, this would be his RS Sophomore year, so he does have 2 more years of eligibility left. Can for sure do a graduate program, and starting as a RS Freshman shows the future should be bright going forward the next 2 years. 

This should give him time to bulk up even more too. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't think "medical red shirts" work that way. He would have to have been injured for two seasons in order to be able to qualify.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I don't think "medical red shirts" work that way. He episode have to have been injured for two seasons in order to be able to qualify.

No doubt you know more about it than I do. Regardless he's in a good positioned to play on year as a graduate student.

1 hour ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Future indeed does look bright. Best of luck to him! 

• Upvote 1