MGB: It's time for the Get Your Rear on the Record contest

Brett Vito

I submitted my guess. Went just above Vito, kind of intentionally being a homer. If the coaches supposedly know they can win four, then I'll say they win five.

SMU: W :D

B-C: W (question - has anyone come up with a good "BC Powder" joke yet? Cuz I think there's something there.

FLA: L :(

Rice: L (Injuries hurt us)

MTSU: L

Marshall: L

Army: W (Bounce-back game)

UTSA: W (A must win)

LA Tech: L

WKU: L

SoMiss: L

UTEP: W

Tell me that doesn't sound plausible!

We have 4 home games before the bye week, but just 2 after.  We'll need a team learning new systems to have a really fast start.  Not the best case scenario, but maybe we surprise people early with a defense that blitzes its brains out and creates turnovers.  I think schedule, depth and lack of proven playmakers on offense eventually means that we'll struggle more in the back half of the season in terms of W/L record even if we're slowly improving in terms of chemistry and comfort with the new schemes.  People forget that we had literally ZERO home run threats last year.  It sounds like maybe Wyche could be one of those guys this year, but who else?  Does anybody step up that was already on the roster?

I think we could realistically start 2-2 but fade down the stretch to close with 2-4 wins total.  I'll go 3-9.

4 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I have been going back and forth between 2-10 and 3-9 but I'll settle on 2-10. Depth will be what gets us as we will tend to fade in the 4th quarter of games.

Gimme BC and UTSA as the wins.

This.

And if we accomplish this, it will be progress from last year's debacle. If it weren't for miraculous circumstances, we would've finished 0-12 last year instead of 1-11. This year, going 1-11 or 2-10 will represent progress when you factor in that we have 68 scholarship players on the team before the season starts, a brand new QB, and an entirely new coaching staff, which includes a head coach who has never been a head coach before (ever)...

But if we go 0-12, 1-11, or 2-10, while actually picking up some Tx HS recruits that other FBS teams want, then the season will just be looked at as a step in the right direction. Littrell and company get to take advantage of this season in this weird way--the on-field results matter a heckuva lot less than the off-the-field results, both in recruiting and in establishing a mindset within the locker room to become a winner. For the fans, don't get lost in the weeds this year when we have blowout losses--we are playing a lot of teams that have just been built in a better fashion for 2016 than what we have now. Except for Butt Cookman, Army, and UTSA, the teams on our schedule (even SMU) are just in better shape than we are right now, both from a talent and experienced coaching staff standpoint. You cannot go into a season with 68 scholarship guys from the worst team in the country and a brand new coach and expect for it to go real well in that first year. But Todd Monken saw that a short term rebuild would turn into huge rewards in a few years at USM, which was exactly where we are now back in 2013. They won one game that year, 3 the next, and then won CUSA West last year. That's what Littrell needs to try and mimic.

Folks, 0-12 this year really doesn't give us one hint about Littrell being a bad head coach. We are that far down right now. Just give it time and be patient.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

We have 4 home games before the bye week, but just 2 after.  We'll need a team learning new systems to have a really fast start.  Not the best case scenario, but maybe we surprise people early with a defense that blitzes its brains out and creates turnovers.  I think schedule, depth and lack of proven playmakers on offense eventually means that we'll struggle more in the back half of the season in terms of W/L record even if we're slowly improving in terms of chemistry and comfort with the new schemes.  People forget that we had literally ZERO home run threats last year.  It sounds like maybe Wyche could be one of those guys this year, but who else?  Does anybody step up that was already on the roster?

I think we could realistically start 2-2 but fade down the stretch to close with 2-4 wins total.  I'll go 3-9.

We had one.  But people didn't like him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, Brett, you homered it up this year, so I will follow your lead.

Looking objectively at the schedule (very tough in conference), a team with only 68 scholarship players, and those players having to get used to a new system, the evidence based prediction would be 1-11. 

But im a homer so I'm going with 2-10, hoping against all logic that UNT beats UTSA on the road (very unlikely). That and Butt Cookman are the only 2 winnable games I see on the schedule, and both those games are iffy. 

Play a lot of underclassmen and prepare for the future is what this year should be about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1