MGB: It's time for the Get Your Rear on the Record contest

Brett Vito

4 minutes ago, the green rokemi said:

If we stay healthy, 5 wins is possible. We have some juicy slump busters on this schedule. Just need to beat those filthy cheating smu poo stains

You mean these guys?

zxcJY.gif

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

58 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Or that both UTEP and UTSA are road games and UNT has been a TERRIBLE road team the last several years.

Or that we don't have a kicker that can make a 41 yard field goal consistently, if at all. 

But, hey, Seth Littrell is here, so all those things, plus an S ton more, magically disappear in the heads of the undereducated rah rah fans. 

Historical data does matter sometimes, but I think Mac was so poor at preparing his team's for road games. The game plans were just terrible and the team just wasn't well coached. I don't think it's fair to lump that on this staff yet. Especially coming for someone who is all about prove it on the field as you are. 

The kicking woes are an issue. It's doubtful we blow anyone out. We need better in that area. 

Littrell is so many things that Dodge and Mac weren't. I'm not expecting miracles I'm expecting FBS level competency. I expect our team to look like an FBS squad on the field regardless of scholarships. As far as I'm concerned once the ball is kicked off against SMU SL is on the clock. He better get this team to put lots of points on the board and he better start winning games. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Uh... All night bender? 

We go 1-11 in the regular season.  Every other team in CUSA is found to be ineligible, so we win the conference championship by default.  No need to play the conference championship game since we've already won it.  The talking heads for the marketing department of the CFB playoff find a strong correlation between purchases of red hot flaming cheetos and telecast of playoff games, figure it'll be a good laugh and a great revenue booster for their Taco Bell ad tie-ins to throw UNT a bone.  It wins the semis and cruises to an easy victory in the championship game as Nick Saban's contract with the devil comes due and he bursts into flames on the sidelines.  

I mean, hey, "WHY NOT NORTH TEXAS?"  Now, where's my big assed ring and my cement bleachers?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

43 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

We go 1-11 in the regular season.  Every other team in CUSA is found to be ineligible, so we win the conference championship by default.  No need to play the conference championship game since we've already won it.  The talking heads for the marketing department of the CFB playoff find a strong correlation between purchases of red hot flaming cheetos and telecast of playoff games, figure it'll be a good laugh and a great revenue booster for their Taco Bell ad tie-ins to throw UNT a bone.  It wins the semis and cruises to an easy victory in the championship game as Nick Saban's contract with the devil comes due and he bursts into flames on the sidelines.  

I mean, hey, "WHY NOT NORTH TEXAS?"  Now, where's my big assed ring and my cement bleachers?

You really aren't helping to dispel my all night bender theory. ?

• Upvote 1

I think UTEP is going to be tougher than some on this board are giving them credit for. This is Coach Sean Kugler's 5th year, and he has recruited decently well for his systems, especially considering the location.

The miners 2-deep offensive line has an average weight of almost 320 and most have pretty good footwork to go along with it. In addition, there are a couple of salty RBs in that backfield. The 2016 UTEP team is built like our 2013 squad but with better coaching and better depth. I would be surprised to see them miss a bowl this season.

If we beat UTEP, I think we have a really good chance to go bowling. Games on our schedule that are more winnable than UTEP, not necessarily in order:

Bethune-Cookman, UTSA, SMU, Army, Louisiana Tech, Rice.

Since UTEP is on the road (our road woes) and Marshall is at Apogee (look up Marshall, and West Virginia for that matter, in Texas road games) - I actually see those two games about par with one another.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

If I see progress and we are competitive in most games, this season will be progress.

That said, I'm going with 2-10

And that is solid progress if we go 2-10. We should have been 0-12 last year with what we rolled out there and how they quit on the school. If UTSA's 4th string QB doesn't get hurt and the game isn't in Denton, they probably win.

Butt Cookman is the only team we will be expected to beat on the entire schedule. It represents the only game that would cause we any disappointment in Seth Littrell if we lose, but even then, I'd understand it. 68 scholarship players, brand new offensive scheme that these players are still adapting to from the Buick Offense of McCarney, plus a defense that is still undersized and slow compared to other G5 teams...that doesn't equate to a hugely successful season on the scoreboard. If we win 0-2 games this season, but we see fight in the team for 60 minutes each game and we see a recruited class that ranks in the top third of G5s, instead of the bottom decile like we have endured for most of the last 5 seasons, then this year will be a nice starting point for moving upward.

17 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

4, really? Like, REALLY? That is absolute BS and you should even understand that. Even lowly Dan McCarney had an up year in year 3. If we are doggy paddling through CUSA in year 3, I'll be ready for him to be shown the door*. 

*Recruiting momentum/failures will play a role in this. 

All I'm saying is that if Littrell posts a 5-7 year in his third season here, he isn't getting fired after it. He will get 4th season to go after a bowl bid. If he falls short in that 4th year, he will be gone then.

Now, if we are looking at Dodge-esque levels of suck here and he has won 5 games total in his first three seasons, then I agree, he will be gone--the university and the UNT 17 have made that refreshingly clear after the McCarney firing in mid season last year.

• Downvote 1

Kugler is doing things the right way.  It's not pretty or over-night, but they are not taking a step back.  They are a 7-8 win team.

Also, I think road performances tend to be tied to a staff.  I'm hoping with the new blood that we will start to win > 0.500 of our road games.  Honestly, IMO, we shouldn't be losing more than 1 or 2 road games a year.  That is my expectation for where I want us to be.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Kugler is doing things the right way.  It's not pretty or over-night, but they are not taking a step back.  They are a 7-8 win team.

Also, I think road performances tend to be tied to a staff.  I'm hoping with the new blood that we will start to win > 0.500 of our road games.  Honestly, IMO, we shouldn't be losing more than 1 or 2 road games a year.  That is my expectation for where I want us to be.

That's a bit ambitious for the expectation for road wins, in my opinion. Most teams lose 3 or more games a year on the road. Assuming we always play 6 road games, 1 of which is a bodybag game, with 5 others against G5s, I'd like to see us get to a point where we win 2-3 road games a year. Combine that with losing only a game or two at home and you get to 6-8 wins fairly regularly. But, heck even the best NCAA teams lose a game or two on the road each year.

• Upvote 1

put me down for 3 and 9.  I think we show some life in atleast half of the games....  and half of those are w's.  the other half, we will likely have some reminders from last year. 

I believe that we win the div 2 game and 2 conf games.  Sadly, I think we lose to smu.  I hope I'm wrong...  and if they'll get the coppell baseball schedule posted for my son, I'll know if we are going to be there for the season opener....