SMU's Matt Davis is one of nation's most underrated quarterbacks

Harry

SMU quarterback Matt Davis had his moments last season.

At times, Davis looked like one of the most explosive playmakers in the American Athletic Conference. But Davis was inconsistent down the stretch, and SMU was only able to muster two victories.

Still, expectations for Davis are high this season. In fact, Athlon Sports' Steven Lassan named Davis one of the 20 most underrated quarterbacks in the country.

read more:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/smumustangs/2016/08/22/national-writer-smus-matt-davis-one-nations-underrated-quarterbacks

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Crazy to see Dane Evans on that list. A huge miss for us as he went to high school 15 minutes north in Sanger. Most of those kids go to UNT or NCTC. Led them to some of their better high school teams in recent history

Dane had no interest in the Mac offense.  Had Littrell / Harrell been here, it would be a different deal.

That said, we have to start winning recruiting battles against the Tulsa's and La. Tech's of the world if we expect to move up the food chain.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

SMU quarterback Matt Davis had his moments last season.

At times, Davis looked like one of the most explosive playmakers in the American Athletic Conference. But Davis was inconsistent down the stretch, and SMU was only able to muster two victories.

Still, expectations for Davis are high this season. In fact, Athlon Sports' Steven Lassan named Davis one of the 20 most underrated quarterbacks in the country.

read more:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/smumustangs/2016/08/22/national-writer-smus-matt-davis-one-nations-underrated-quarterbacks

I think keep him contained in the run and he could stink it up. Pressure and he will run he does not keep looking down field! Bring the Eck out of the D! GMG 

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Crazy to see Dane Evans on that list. A huge miss for us as he went to high school 15 minutes north in Sanger. Most of those kids go to UNT or NCTC. Led them to some of their better high school teams in recent history

He was also from Oklahoma (he was only in Sanger a few years).  He really wanted to play in Oklahoma as horrible as that sounds.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

It is going to be nice to actually have an offense that appeals to HS kids again. 

This.

It reminds me of the conversation I had with one of my client's who's son is the head coach at a HS in Frisco. When I asked him what his son thought of Dan McCarney and his staff, the first thing he said was how much his son liked them as coaches, especially Mac. Said he connected to the coaches with his personality and experience, and was usually very positive. And then it happened--"The only problem with McCarney, though, is that his offensive style is so boring, kids don't want to play in it, nor do any high schools run that offense here. Coaches can't even relate to it..."

That's how you become the worst recruiter in the state, folks. You try pounding the square peg into the round hole--while drinking your Metamucil...

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

This.

It reminds me of the conversation I had with one of my client's who's son is the head coach at a HS in Frisco. When I asked him what his son thought of Dan McCarney and his staff, the first thing he said was how much his son liked them as coaches, especially Mac. Said he connected to the coaches with his personality and experience, and was usually very positive. And then it happened--"The only problem with McCarney, though, is that his offensive style is so boring, kids don't want to play in it, nor do any high schools run that offense here. Coaches can't even relate to it..."

That's how you become the worst recruiter in the state, folks. You try pounding the square peg into the round hole--while drinking your Grey Goose

FTFY

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

was it him or Josh Greer that was bouncing the ball 5 yards short in Austin for simple WR screens?

Both. 

Josh Greer    2/11 for  8yds    0.7ypa    0tds    2ints    0.1qbr     -12.1 passer rating
Andrew McNulty    1/6  for   7yds    1.2ypa    0tds    2ints    0.0qbr    -40.2 passer rating

I can't remember who threw the pick 6, but I believe it was #5.

The atrocity can be seen here.....

https://youtu.be/3B-L7HHQJ28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B-L7HHQJ28

Oh, and for you Skladany haters, the D still looked pretty damn good here. The offense? The worst in all of college football.

Edited by Cr1028

13 hours ago, glick1980 said:

He was also from Oklahoma (he was only in Sanger a few years).  He really wanted to play in Oklahoma as horrible as that sounds.

True.  Dad was from Anadarko, played QB and pitched in high school.  Pitched at SWOSU in college.  Dane was born in Chickasha while his dad was in grad school at OKC U.  Dad coached in Oklahoma after that before eventually moving to Texas.

Dane was recruited by Tulsa when Blankenship was still the coach.  It's likely that his dad had a connection to Coach Blankenship from when they were both Okie high school coaches.

---

LONG END NOTE:  Again...this whole thing about "Texas kids" being loyal to Texas is stupid because half or more of them are not "Texas kids."  As written dozens of times, as of the 1990 census, the majority of people living in Collin County were not native Texans.  I'm sure it's even more now, and likely the same all over Texas' metropolitan areas.

Kids are normally going to be loyal to where their family ties are.  So, it's just headshaking that people still go down the path of, "He's from a Texas high school, he must be Texan, so we missed out on him."  We didn't miss out on Dane Evans - he was never coming here in the first place.  

Also, as written dozens of times, the whole "Texas talent" thing is way overblown.  There has only been one football national champion from Teas since 1970:  the Longhorns' 2005 squad.

Yes, only one.  All of that Texas talent.  But, you look at Florida, and it's Miami, Florida State, and Florida each piling up multiple national championships in the same time period.  And, when you spread it to the Southeast, you add in even more national titles with Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, LSU, Clemson....

The best talent is in Florida and all over the South and Southeast.  The championships bear that out.

The only other school that relies heavily on Texas talent and has won a national title since 1970 is Oklahoma, having won titles in 1973, 1974, 1985, and 2000. 

But, even looking at Oklahoma, their reliance of "Texas talent" has only brought them one national title in the past 30 years.

It's why SMU Jesus will fail as well - he doggedly determine to only recruit Texas players.  Sounds a hell of a lot like our Todd Dodge. 

What you need is the best players that will come to your school - from Texas or not from Texas.  But, please, drop once and for all, the notion that just because a kid went to a Texas high school that he was born and raised in Texas by folks who probably went to a Texas college.  That's just not the case; and, it is demonstrably not the case.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Both. 

Josh Greer    2/11 for  8yds    0.7ypa    0tds    2ints    0.1qbr     -12.1 passer rating
Andrew McNulty    1/6  for   7yds    1.2ypa    0tds    2ints    0.0qbr    -40.2 passer rating

I can't remember who threw the pick 6, but I believe it was #5.

The atrocity can be seen here.....

https://youtu.be/3B-L7HHQJ28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B-L7HHQJ28

Oh, and for you Skladany haters, the D still looked pretty damn good here. The offense? The worst in all of college football.

Remember when we had delusions of grandeur that we actually stood a chance in that game going into it?

• Upvote 2