MGB: UNT football media day notes

Brett Vito

I like it. I like hearing what Goree says about last year compared to this year. I just hope he doesn't let himself or anyone else fall back into the same mindset when times get rough in games or at practice. Mindset and confidence is built in practice and easily destroyed during games. They can't let bad plays or losses bring them down. Take their lumps and keep going. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Well, step one of my "bold prediction" appears to be progressing nicely 

Let's hope UNT avoids step two.

Care to outline again? I've been busy w/ football

12 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Care to outline again? I've been busy w/ football

Aldo was asking for bold predictions. I predicted Fine wins the backup job and becomes a starter  after Morris is injured in the annual whore game. Fine struggles to adjust to the speed of the college game the rest of the year and UNT goes 2-10, with Fine winning one of those games. 

BUT, Fine wins the starting job in 2017 and leads UNT to a 7-5 record while earning 3rd team all conference as a true sophomore. 

Again, Aldo asked for bold. I don't trust this O line. I hope and pray Morris stays healthy, but I think he is going to run for his life A LOT the first 3 games of the year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Also was asking for bold predictions. I predicted Fine wins the backup job and becomes a starter  after Morris is injured in the annual whore game. Fine struggles to adjust to the speed of the college game the rest of the year and UNT goes 2-10, with Fine winning one of those games. 

BUT, Fine wins the starting job in 2017 and leads UNT to a 7-5 record while earning 3rd team all conference as a true sophomore. 

Again, Aldo asked for bold. I don't trust this O line. I hope and pray Morris stays healthy, but I think he is going to run for his life A LOT the first 3 games of the year.

If that's the case, screen game, running game, and quick game better be on point. Lol

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I like it. I like hearing what Goree says about last year compared to this year. I just hope he doesn't let himself or anyone else fall back into the same mindset when times get rough in games or at practice. Mindset and confidence is built in practice and easily destroyed during games. They can't let bad plays or losses bring them down. Take their lumps and keep going. 

The WRs probably didn't feel like being out there last year because Mac didn't like to throw the ball, and there wasn't a QB on the roster that could do it anyhow.  I'd probably want to stay home too. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Aldo was asking for bold predictions. I predicted Fine wins the backup job and becomes a starter  after Morris is injured in the annual whore game. Fine struggles to adjust to the speed of the college game the rest of the year and UNT goes 2-10, with Fine winning one of those games. 

What makes you think Morris will get hurt? 

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

But how would you keep Fine from getting hurt once he came in since Morris outweighs him by 63lbs? 

Mobility.

Again, Aldo asked for a bold prediction.

Also, injuries can happen to any size player. DT was about Morris's size, yet went down for the year with a broken hip against Army (??). 

A mobile QB has a better shot with this line. Also, Morris and DT also compare pretty equally where mobility is concerned.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Mobility.

Also, injuries can happen to any size player. DT was about Morris's size, yet went down for the year with a broken hip against Army (??). 

A mobile QB has a better shot with this line. Also, Morris and DT also compare pretty equally where mobility is concerned.

Morris is noticeably bigger than DT was, but all it takes is one bad hit. 

22 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Mobility.

Morris is bigger and more mobile. Neither are in question. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Mobility.

Not saying you're wrong about the OL bc I believe they are the weak point. However DT and Morris played in two different offenses. Morris will throw more but should benefit from the fact that the ball will come out quicker. There won't be as many long developing routes. Still OL is very shaky and I have concerns too

5 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Morris is bigger and more mobile. Neither are in question. 

Actually, they both are. ?

Morris is listed by 24/7 as 6'3" 233lbs. Thompson was listed as a junior as 6'4" 218 pounds. 

I'd bet DT was actually more mobile than Morris. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 4

23 hours ago, UNT90 said:

The quality and depth of the Oline.

Remember, Aldo asked for a bold prediction.

IMn4tpvHpBM40.gif

Hey now, don't drag me into this. Bold prediction thread is a safe space. Once you leave that safe space you gotta back it up. Like this:

21 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Not saying you're wrong about the OL bc I believe they are the weak point. However DT and Morris played in two different offenses. Morris will throw more but should benefit from the fact that the ball will come out quicker. There won't be as many long developing routes. Still OL is very shaky and I have concerns too

6 minutes ago, Aldo said:

IMn4tpvHpBM40.gif

Hey now, don't drag me into this. Bold prediction thread is a safe space. Once you leave that safe space you gotta back it up. Like this:

Well then, it's great to think that quick hitting routes will help the QB, until you realize this:

Once defenses figure out that the OL can't stop the pass rush, get ready for press coverage EVERY DOWN. That means zero space between receiver and DB. That means forcing the QB to read and react with a pass rush 2 seconds away. You can claim that this offense will do this and that, but defenses adjust to offensive weakness. I expect teams to dare is to throw deep, starting with SMU in the first quarter. The fact that Morris doesn't throw a great deep ball will also factor into this defensive decision.

If I'm the opposing team DC, I'm bringing the heat on the pass rush, whether that's 4, 5, or 6 guys. I'm forcing a QB with no experience to beat me and to beat me with minimal time to throw. 

• Downvote 3