MGB: Saturday scrimmage notes

Brett Vito

15 minutes ago, keith said:

The redshirt season is basically a wasted year of eligibility IMHO (Joey Byerly anyone?).  

Uh... no it's not.   You have 5 to play 4.  

If you redshirt, you have can play four seasons in five years.  If you don't redshirt, you play four season in four years.

Either way you get to play four seasons, with the redshirt you get one year that you can grow physically and mentally and have more time to keep your academics in order.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Uh... no it's not.   You have 5 to play 4.  

If you redshirt, you have can play four seasons in five years.  If you don't redshirt, you play four season in four years.

Either way you get to play four seasons, with the redshirt you get one year that you can grow physically and mentally and have more time to keep your academics in order.  

I understand the rules.  My point is a student should be out of school in 4 years, not 5.  Playing football is a invalid reason for taking 5 years to complete something that should take 4.  So, if it was my son, I want him out of college in 4 years.  If he redshirts for a year and graduates and moves on after 4 years, he leaves school with a year of eligibility in the bank (wasted).  I have no idea what the statistics are, but it seems to me that there are a lot fewer student athletes that were redshirted their freshman year and actually make it all the way to be a 5th year "senior" than don't.

Financially speaking how does it work? Are they now on scholarship for 5 years instead of 4?  That's a 25% increase in cost to the AD and with the runaway costs of college these days, that 5th year is the most expensive.  Now, winning a national championship with a roster full of 5th year seniors is probably a great investment, I'll grant that, but highly unlikely. For the student athlete, he's giving up a year of income he'll never get back (time value of money, getting that 401(K) started, etc.).   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Look, all of this tells us is what we already know:  if Morris gets hurt, we're in a world of hurt at QB again. 

Fine may be a practice squad All-American, but the coaches know they've got to get out there are sign two or three more serious QBs in December 2016 and/or February 2017.

Shanbour people...just...he needs to do what Damarcus Smith has done and go to where his true talent level is:  Division II.  There's no shame in that.  At least he'd get some playing time before his college days are finished. 

A man's got to know his limitations:

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Look, all of this tells us is what we already know:  if Morris gets hurt, we're in a world of hurt at QB again. 

Fine may be a practice squad All-American, but the coaches know they've got to get out there are sign two or three more serious QBs in December 2016 and/or February 2017.

Even if the Coaches felt great about Fine and his talents (which they do) they'd still go out and try to land 2 QBs with the 17 class. They've already landed 1. 

Fine's abilities aren't going to dictate what this staff does with QB offers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Even if the Coaches felt great about Fine and his talents (which they do) they'd still go out and try to land 2 QBs with the 17 class. They've already landed 1. 

Fine's abilities aren't going to dictate what this staff does with QB offers. 

Yes, they are, just like at any other position as well.  You only have 85 scholarships to give. 

These coaches walked into an acute QB depth problem - there were no FBS-level QBs on campus when they arrived.  Zero.  None in the pipeline being developed, none from the current roster, and none committed.

Morris fell into their lap, giving them exactly one FBS-level QB.

They went out on a limb to sign Fine.  Shanbour couldn't crack the three-deep at Oklahoma State and never was going to.  They only reason he might do it here is low numbers at QB.

O'Hara couldn't win the starting job at FCS Western Illinois, then went JUCO for a year, had one FBS offer afterward:  UNT

So, there is still an acute need for QBs to develop.  Two or three in this class and the next should be enough to begin a good pipeline of future QBs.  As it stands now, we don't have one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes, they are, just like at any other position as well.  You only have 85 scholarships to give. 

These coaches walked into an acute QB depth problem - there were no FBS-level QBs on campus when they arrived.  Zero.  None in the pipeline being developed, none from the current roster, and none committed.

They went out on a limb to sign Fine.  Shanbour couldn't crack the three-deep at Oklahoma State and never was going to.  They only reason he might do it here is low numbers at QB.

O'Hara couldn't win the starting job at FCS Western Illinois, then went JUCO for a year, had one FBS offer afterward:  UNT

So, there is still an acute need for QBs to develop.  Two or three in this class and the next should be enough to begin a good pipeline of future QBs.  As it stands now, we don't have one.

Even if Fine was an All-American they would still be bringing in 1 or 2 more QBs with the 17 class, because of everything else you pointed out. No depth.

I'd imagine every class under Littrell will have at least one QB. 

So Fine's ability has no impact on the 17 class. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, keith said:

My point is a student should be out of school in 4 years, not 5.    

Times change.  Less than 20% of students finish in 4 years.   Schools have expanded curriculum but cut class session so students have to take more specific classes but there isn't enough of them.  

The state and federal government don't even base funding off of 4 year gradation rates.  They track six year graduation rates.  

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

You are so dead-on here, its not even funny.

Morris is a Mean Green Miracle if he can stay healthy. Immediately, he is better than any QB we have had here not named Derek Thompson in the last 5 years--and he may be better than him, we just don't know yet. But, without a doubt, he is better than Josh Greer, Andrew McNulty, Dajon Williams, Damarcus Smith, Quinn Shanbour, Caleb Chumley, and any other QB of the last few years, if only because exactly zero of these QBs listed belonged anywhere near a FBS roster. Hell, FCS might have been a stretch...

What we have to pray for here is that Littrell/Harrell can actually entice a legitimate FBS Qb talent from a Texas HS to come here, as well as more FBS Grad Transfers, which is probably the short-term fix here until a QB can get developed from HS. The JUCO QBs we have signed have never panned out here as a season-long solution. We really need a Vizza-type talent at QB to believe in Littrell/Harrell and give us a shot--and then not have him get the $hit beat out of him to the point where he decides quitting football altogether is a better alternative than playing one more down here.

• Downvote 1

I posted this in another thread but i think it fits well with what is being discussed here.  Maybe it would have been better to post it sooner but better late than never:

More info about the QB position from the Scrimmage from my perspective:

According to Vito the first team offense got it going later in the day which i had already left prior to that happening.

Oharra kid looks like a kid that McCarney would have brought in.  (just going off his height)  Nothing he did (that i saw) was like wow glad we picked him up.  

He seemed dis-interested on the sideline.  During my years of coaching it always stood out to me the kids that were locked in or wanted to play always stood closest to the field.  Oharra stood in the back didnt stand by any coaches it was weird.  He holds on to the ball too long and missed some easy throws.  All of this could totally be chalked up to not understanding the offense so there is always that.  But it was quite clear who the number 2 guy was on Saturday.

Fine:

The kid is a baller.  HE LOOKS SUPER SMALL but he moves well.  Not sure how long he would last after a couple of hits from some D-lineman. 

He threw a seam route that was over the Linebackers but underneath the safety, it was a thing of beauty.  His deep ball is very accurate and for his size he can sling it.  His 65 yard bomb was a blown coverage by the defense but the WR didnt have to wait on the ball to arrive.  He threw some quick outs from 1 hash to the other side of the field.  That is a big time throw and the ball arrived on time.  Again durability would be my only thing that worries me about this kid.  He is Clearly the #2 QB on this roster.

Morris:

The dude is HUGE.  I would easily mistake him for a TE if i didnt know any better.  No question here about durability on shear size alone.  I read somewhere on this board that people say Fine has a better deep ball.  From what little i saw i would have to agree with this.  He had an opportunity for a 45 yard bomb but underthrew the WR.  The WR slowed down and made the catch but obviously did not score.  If he could have layed it out in front of him the wr would have walked in.  

Morris makes smart decisions and moves just well enough to pick up 3rd down conversions with his feet.  If nobody is open he throws the ball into the Tuba that was obviously taught at Alabama.  He seems like he takes control.  My wife who knows very little about football didnt like the way he carries himself on the sideline.  She stated that he is super cocky.  I mentioned to her that the kid has 2 National Championship rings (I think) and played for Alabama.  I will agree with her on the part that he carriers himself very confidently.  Which i am okay with if your game backs it up.  I am extremely grateful that we landed this kid, he gives Fine some time to mature but it looks like Fine will be the guy in 2017!

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Times change.  Less than 20% of students finish in 4 years.   Schools have expanded curriculum but cut class session so students have to take more specific classes but there isn't enough of them.  

The state and federal government don't even base funding off of 4 year gradation rates.  They track six year graduation rates.  

also beer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, keith said:

I understand the rules.  My point is a student should be out of school in 4 years, not 5.  Playing football is a invalid reason for taking 5 years to complete something that should take 4.  So, if it was my son, I want him out of college in 4 years.  If he redshirts for a year and graduates and moves on after 4 years, he leaves school with a year of eligibility in the bank (wasted).  I have no idea what the statistics are, but it seems to me that there are a lot fewer student athletes that were redshirted their freshman year and actually make it all the way to be a 5th year "senior" than don't.

Financially speaking how does it work? Are they now on scholarship for 5 years instead of 4?  That's a 25% increase in cost to the AD and with the runaway costs of college these days, that 5th year is the most expensive.  Now, winning a national championship with a roster full of 5th year seniors is probably a great investment, I'll grant that, but highly unlikely. For the student athlete, he's giving up a year of income he'll never get back (time value of money, getting that 401(K) started, etc.).   

They could get a year (maybe more) of grad school paid for.

That ought to be a fair trade for loss of one year's worth of income/retirement savings...

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I posted this in another thread but i think it fits well with what is being discussed here.  Maybe it would have been better to post it sooner but better late than never:

According to Vito the first team offense got it going later in the day which i had already left prior to that happening.

Oharra kid looks like a kid that McCarney would have brought in.  (just going off his height)  Nothing he did (that i saw) was like wow glad we picked him up.  

He seemed dis-interested on the sideline.  During my years of coaching it always stood out to me the kids that were locked in or wanted to play always stood closest to the field.  Oharra stood in the back didnt stand by any coaches it was weird.  He holds on to the ball too long and missed some easy throws.  All of this could totally be chalked up to not understanding the offense so there is always that.  But it was quite clear who the number 2 guy was on Saturday.

Fine:

The kid is a baller.  HE LOOKS SUPER SMALL but he moves well.  Not sure how long he would last after a couple of hits from some D-lineman. 

He threw a seam route that was over the Linebackers but underneath the safety, it was a thing of beauty.  His deep ball is very accurate and for his size he can sling it.  His 65 yard bomb was a blown coverage by the defense but the WR didnt have to wait on the ball to arrive.  He threw some quick outs from 1 hash to the other side of the field.  That is a big time throw and the ball arrived on time.  Again durability would be my only thing that worries me about this kid.  He is Clearly the #2 QB on this roster.

Morris:

The dude is HUGE.  I would easily mistake him for a TE if i didnt know any better.  No question here about durability on shear size alone.  I read somewhere on this board that people say Fine has a better deep ball.  From what little i saw i would have to agree with this.  He had an opportunity for a 45 yard bomb but underthrew the WR.  The WR slowed down and made the catch but obviously did not score.  If he could have layed it out in front of him the wr would have walked in.  

Morris makes smart decisions and moves just well enough to pick up 3rd down conversions with his feet.  If nobody is open he throws the ball into the Tuba that was obviously taught at Alabama.  He seems like he takes control.  My wife who knows very little about football didnt like the way he carries himself on the sideline.  She stated that he is super cocky.  I mentioned to her that the kid has 2 National Championship rings (I think) and played for Alabama.  I will agree with her on the part that he carriers himself very confidently.  Which i am okay with if your game backs it up.  I am extremely grateful that we landed this kid, he gives Fine some time to mature but it looks like Fine will be the guy in 2017!

Morris is growing into the "not very good deep ball" mantra that haunted him at Alabama. 

As far as Fine goes, I know in theory a RS year is supposed to help guys physically and mentally grow. Not saying we do not need to RS him, we do. But I don't think a RS year is going to help him physically grow, mentally sure. He has a very small frame when seeing him in person. Some guys have a frame to add significant bulk or weight, Fine has no such frame. He is small by nature. I think we will roll him out as starter in 2017, but the OC will have to be very cautious with him as far as timing routes, teaching throwing away/sliding, etc. He is 1 pancake tackle away from a broken collarbone that could happen at any time and a RS year will not change that. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Fine:

Morris:

Here's the long view - Shabour and O'Hara have never made an impact anywhere. 
-Shanbour has given it a whirl at tow FBS schools; should have transferred...if he really wanted to play football.  He may be happy just being a part of the team.
-O'Hara had two years at an FCS and didn't crack the two-deep, then went to a JUCO.  He's not lighting it up here. 
-Neither one has the tools for FBS.  O'Hara has already proven he doesn't have the tools for FCS either.
-Both are Division II guys at best.
-They are upperclassmen/short timers, anyway. 
-If there were any other underclassmen QBs, these two would just be wasting snaps for someone who might develop.

Here's the long view on Fine - he had no other FBS offers.
-This is a stab in the dark recruit
-He's a great athlete, it is said.  It's what everyone says about small, fast guys:  "great athlete."  But, really, he competed against small Oklahoma schools.
-He might be a guy to come in and run gadget plays, or for a "change of pace"...which is code for "quarterback who will pull it down and run, but not good enough to start."

Whatever.

The point is, these coaches came  in with nothing, and need to sign a bunch of guy the net two signing periods, because after Morris, they are down to nothing again.

• Downvote 10

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

-Shanbour has given it a whirl at tow FBS schools; should have transferred...if he really wanted to play football.  He may be happy just being a part of the team.
-O'Hara had two years at an FCS and didn't crack the two-deep, then went to a JUCO.  He's not lighting it up here. 
-Neither one has the tools for FBS.  O'Hara has already proven he doesn't have the tools for FCS either.
-If there were any other underclassmen QBs, these two would just be wasting snaps for someone who might develop.

-He's a great athlete, it is said.  It's what everyone says about small, fast guys:  "great athlete."  But, really, he competed against small Oklahoma schools.
-He might be a guy to come in and run gadget plays, or for a "change of pace"...which is code for "quarterback who will pull it down and run, but not good enough to start."

Whatever.

The point is, these coaches came  in with nothing, and need to sign a bunch of guy the net two signing periods, because after Morris, they are down to nothing again.

Just curious and a serious question.  How many practices/scrimmages have you watched in person?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Whatever.

I disagree on your assessment of Fine. He is not a pull down and run QB. If anything, that needs to be coached against. He has more arm talent right now as a fall camp true freshman than any QB that I have seen suit up in Green since I started following the program in 2011/2012. Even Bob Stoops and OU evaluated this kid and Stoops said that if he were 2-3 inches taller he would be naming his school. 

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Whatever.

I completely disagree with the above bold statement

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Morris is growing into the "not very good deep ball" mantra that haunted him at Alabama. 

As far as Fine goes, I know in theory a RS year is supposed to help guys physically and mentally grow. Not saying we do not need to RS him, we do. But I don't think a RS year is going to help him physically grow, mentally sure. He has a very small frame when seeing him in person. Some guys have a frame to add significant bulk or weight, Fine has no such frame. He is small by nature. I think we will roll him out as starter in 2017, but the OC will have to be very cautious with him as far as timing routes, teaching throwing away/sliding, etc. He is 1 pancake tackle away from a broken collarbone that could happen at any time and a RS year will not change that. 

He will likely add some muscle, especially in his core. That should help him take hits with a lower likelihood of injury in most of them.

The pancake hit you are talking about can snap collarbones on larger QBs too...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I disagree on your assessment of Fine. He is not a pull down and run QB. If anything, that needs to be coached against. He has more arm talent right now as a fall camp true freshman than any QB that I have seen suit up in Green since I started following the program in 2011/2012. Even Bob Stoops and OU evaluated this kid and Stoops said that if he were 2-3 inches taller he would be naming his school. 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/johnehoover/john-e-hoover-sooners-interested-in-locust-grove-qb-mason/article_b9893dae-58e1-50aa-9bf4-1294ff89ed4a.html

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound Fine’s latest offer was as a preferred walk-on at OU. But he told the Tulsa World he’ll instead honor his verbal commitment to play on scholarship at the University of North Texas.

Ben is right, I can completely agree with what you said. And he really was taken serious by some big schools in Okie. 

• Upvote 3

Answer to all above:  after Morris, there is no FBS-level quarterback on the roster.  Sorry.  Practice is practice. 

Many of you, through out the years, have gotten jacked up about this player or that player based on spring games or practices.  Such is the domain of the Shanbour people.  A few seasons ago it was Brock Berglund. 

It's always going to be someone...who will rarely, if ever, play a snap of actual football during a game - usually a kneel down or two at the end of a victory. 

Fine is the latest example, and more high profile precisely because there is no one else to whom this coaching staff can turn.  After spring it was Shabour some were drooling about.  With no actual games being played, what else can you do...if you are not going to use history as an example/warning about getting your hopes up about practice squad All-Americans?

This squad has no QBs to develop behind Morris and needs several in the pipeline.  Some will transfer away once they don't hit to two- or-three deep, and that's fine.  In normal circumstances, it means you have depth and the writing is on the wall for the transfer player.

Littrell, Harrell & Co. will get us there by signing four to six QBs over the next two signing periods.  Fine will either transfer or switch positions.

Print this and hang it on your refrigerator next to your former claims about the greatness of Brock Berglund as a reminder about the needs to sign more QBs. 

• Downvote 10

19 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/johnehoover/john-e-hoover-sooners-interested-in-locust-grove-qb-mason/article_b9893dae-58e1-50aa-9bf4-1294ff89ed4a.html

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound Fine’s latest offer was as a preferred walk-on at OU. But he told the Tulsa World he’ll instead honor his verbal commitment to play on scholarship at the University of North Texas.

Ben is right, I can completely agree with what you said. And he really was taken serious by some big schools in Okie. 

Fine clearly belongs on an FBS field. He has made the transition very quickly, and will be a key component in the success of this football program for years to come. Glad that he is here!

• Upvote 4

Just now, dd992emo said:

I respect your opinion, but think you are wrong. Fine had no control  over who his competition was in HS. I'm from Locust Grove and it ain't exactly Lake Travis. There was no moving to a 6A district for football available to him. Yes, he is small and subject to injury. So was Doug Flutie and a host of other small players. Large  players get hurt, too. I think, and I use that term advisedly, he has the best arm on the team and the best set of intangibles on the team. I could not disagree more with your "gadget plays" comment. I think (that word again) he will prove his naysayers wrong.

Also, as to the Doug Flutie references...as noted several times before:

The average weight for an NFL defensive tackle in 1981, the year Flutie was a freshman at Boston College, was 268 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=493).  That was NFL.  College was lighter.

Do you like charts?  Here's one with a chart:  http://regressing.deadspin.com/chart-the-average-weight-of-nfl-rookies-by-position-a-1490494148

It think it goes without saying that it isn't 1981 anymore.

Also, even back then, Flutie was the exception, not the rule.  I don't have the names of the thousands of other quarterbacks who were a Flutie-like 5'9" and never played a snap past high school.  Sorry.  

Just because Doug Flutie did it 35 years ago when d-linemen weighed, on average, 40 pounds less than they do now, doesn't mean every sub-6' guy isn't going to make it.  Most, if they do play even a bit, will get banged up, like our old pal Riley Dodge.  After the injuries here and a transfer down to FCS level, one concussion at McNeese State was his last hurrah.   

It's not that Fine wasn't a "great athlete", "speedy", "quick", or however you want to phrase it this week.  He was great against tiny Oklahoma schools like Jay, Adair, Inola, etc. and other schools that are a ball hair away from moving down to the Oklahoma 8-man level of football play.

My hope is that he is switched to receiver and can give us a fellow short in stature, small high school Oklahoman Wes Welker-like target. 

• Downvote 5

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Answer to all above:  after Morris, there is no FBS-level quarterback on the roster.  Sorry.  Practice is practice. 

Many of you, through out the years, have gotten jacked up about this player or that player based on spring games or practices.  Such is the domain of the Shanbour people.  A few seasons ago it was Brock Berglund. 

It's always going to be someone...who will rarely, if ever, play a snap of actual football during a game - usually a kneel down or two at the end of a victory. 

Fine is the latest example, and more high profile precisely because there is no one else to whom this coaching staff can turn.  After spring it was Shabour some were drooling about.  With no actual games being played, what else can you do...if you are not going to use history as an example/warning about getting your hopes up about practice squad All-Americans?

This squad has no QBs to develop behind Morris and needs several in the pipeline.  Some will transfer away once they don't hit to two- or-three deep, and that's fine.  In normal circumstances, it means you have depth and the writing is on the wall for the transfer player.

Littrell, Harrell & Co. will get us there by signing four to six QBs over the next two signing periods.  Fine will either transfer or switch positions.

Print this and hang it on your refrigerator next to your former claims about the greatness of Brock Berglund as a reminder about the needs to sign more QBs. 

Again, how many practices have you seen in person?

• Upvote 2