MGB: Saturday scrimmage notes

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

But now he has the hindsight of the redshirt year being used the very next year. Hindsight is always  20/20, especially in this case.

Also, wouldn't he have been eligible for a medical redshirt in 2014? Or would the fact that he played 2 games the year he received his redshirt have eliminated that possibility?

UNT never had the ball with the chance to go ahead. They were down 2 scores every time the offense was on the field.

With less than 3 minutes to go. In the last game of an awful season. 

A head coach should see the bigger picture, both for the program and the player. Problem was Dodge felt he had to win to save his job. The big picture didn't matter to him at that point. 

I think the only way to get a "medical redshirt" is if you had to redshirt the first time due to an injury and you lost a second season to injury.

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

I think the only way to get a "medical redshirt" is if you had to redshirt the first time due to an injury and you lost a second season to injury.

Ya, I guess the question is can you use a regular redshirt in a season in which you play 2 games. The obvious answer is no.

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2016 at 12:09 PM, MeanGreenMailbox aka TFLF said:

Answer to all above:  after Morris, there is no FBS-level quarterback on the roster.  Sorry.  Practice is practice. 

Many of you, through out the years, have gotten jacked up about this player or that player based on spring games or practices.  Such is the domain of the Shanbour people.  A few seasons ago it was Brock Berglund. 

It's always going to be someone...who will rarely, if ever, play a snap of actual football during a game - usually a kneel down or two at the end of a victory. 

Fine is the latest example, and more high profile precisely because there is no one else to whom this coaching staff can turn.  After spring it was Shabour some were drooling about.  With no actual games being played, what else can you do...if you are not going to use history as an example/warning about getting your hopes up about practice squad All-Americans?

This squad has no QBs to develop behind Morris and needs several in the pipeline.  Some will transfer away once they don't hit to two- or-three deep, and that's fine.  In normal circumstances, it means you have depth and the writing is on the wall for the transfer player.

Littrell, Harrell & Co. will get us there by signing four to six QBs over the next two signing periods.  Fine will either transfer or switch positions.

Print this and hang it on your refrigerator next to your former claims about the greatness of Brock Berglund as a reminder about the needs to sign more QBs. 

Have you taken this off your refrigerator yet? You predicted Fine was a kneel down quarterback on end of game snaps, and the guy can be argued as the greatest QB in CUSA right now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2016 at 11:40 AM, Ben Gooding said:

I disagree on your assessment of Fine. He is not a pull down and run QB. If anything, that needs to be coached against. He has more arm talent right now as a fall camp true freshman than any QB that I have seen suit up in Green since I started following the program in 2011/2012. Even Bob Stoops and OU evaluated this kid and Stoops said that if he were 2-3 inches taller he would be naming his school. 

I'm a prophet. 

Image result for jesus gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

On 4/8/2017 at 4:19 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Mason Fine wasn't even the 2nd best quarterback on the field. I do not feel like that position is in a good place with him at the wheel. He gets his ball batted every 4th or 5th attempt, still holds the ball too long, still tries to fit the ball in narrow windows, etc. Though it has only been 3 or 4 months since football season ended, he has not developed at all, at least from what I saw today. We really need Isladore to come in and wow in Fall camp, badly. Pearson has a lot of upside...Throws a good ball, stands in there tall and confident, threw most of his throws in rhythm today (unless there was a blitz), etc. Shanbour was equally as good as Pearson, if not better. I can't see how Littrell and/or GH are going to go into the Summer feeling comfortable about where they are at that position with Fine as the foreseeable starter.