Mean Green soccer picks up 300th victory in season opener

Skipper

Clay Massey | @Clay_FC

The rain tried to dampen the mood, but it could only dampen the field as Mean Green Soccer picked up the program’s 300th all-time win with a 4-0 victory over the University of the Incarnate Word Friday evening.

All 300 wins have been under the leadership of head coach John Hedlund

“It’s special,” Hedlund said. “I started this program and we’ve [had] 21 consecutive winning seasons, 11 titles and we just want to keep it going. Three hundred is a great mark. Let’s see if we can get up to 400 next.”

Seniors Rachel Holden and Marchelle Davis, and junior Tori Phillips provided the goals. The game was moved to Denton High School after the Mean Green soccer complex was deemed unplayable due to heavy rain earlier in the day.

Holden opened the scoring early in the first half when a well-worked ball found the back of the net for her first goal of the season.

North Texas added another in the first half when Holden was dragged down in the box and Davis converted from the spot for a 2-0 lead.

“It’s really exciting for him, [a] great accomplishment,” Holden said. “Scoring goals is always a huge relief. Scoring the first one is always huge.”

Sophomore keeper Brooke Bradley made a key save late in the first half to hold the Cardinals off the board and preserve the shutout. It was Bradley’s first start since the opening round of last season’s NCAA tournament.

Shortly after halftime, Davis killed all hope for a Cardinals comeback when she scored her second goal of the night to make it 3-0, ensuring win No. 300 for the program.

“It shows we can play together as a group,” Davis said. “We’re still working on our chemistry, but we’re getting there.”

Next up: North Texas is back in action at 1 p.m. on Sunday when they take on Oral Roberts.

View Full Article

• Upvote 1

Congrats Coach Hedlund. He has come a long way form the guy who delivered the death blow to the Men's program 1994. He is a class act and runs an amazing program. Him and the women of UNT soccer deserve our admiration and thanks. As an alumni I am proud to be associated with both!

GMG!

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, GM1998 said:

Congrats Coach Hedlund. He has come a long way form the guy who delivered the death blow to the Men's program 1994. He is a class act and runs an amazing program. Him and the women of UNT soccer deserve our admiration and thanks. As an alumni I am proud to be associated with both!

GMG!

???

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

???

The cancellation of the men's program was a total shock, however thru that rough spot John was a class act. He even coached many of the former players in a bid for the U.S. Open cup as fledgling professional soccer players.

Many people given John's circumstances could have been pissed at having to take on a women's program from scratch. John just worked hard and made us all proud. I hope one day he is truly recognized for his efforts, however of what little I knew of him from back in 1994 I doubt he would ask for any attention.

GMG

• Upvote 1