From Alabama's bench to UNT's focal point:

gangrene

"We have unbelievably high expectations for him," Littrell said. "But not just him -- for our offense and the entire team. We expect to score points. At the end of the day, he's going to be a big part of us either scoring points and being highly successful -- or not being able to get it done. But my expectations are high for him. I've got a lot of confidence in him."

We're already to the point where I can read that and immediately recall and audiate his dialect in my head.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

We're already to the point where I can read that and immediately recall and audiate his dialect in my head.

Yes, very McCarney-esque of him to keep doing this. I know all coaches get phrases in their head. Saban is, "the process." Muschamp is, "play hard or don't play." Butch Jones' is, "brick by brick." etc. etc. etc. They all have them. I just hear Littrell's way more because I watch way more of his interviews. 

20 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yes, very McCarney-esque of him to keep doing this. I know all coaches get phrases in their head. Saban is, "the process." Muschamp is, "play hard or don't play." Butch Jones' is, "brick by brick." etc. etc. etc. They all have them. I just hear Littrell's way more because I watch way more of his interviews. 

Everyone who speaks publicly has them. It's a mental pause. Something to say while your are thinking about what you are going to say or the way you want to phrase something in the following sentence. 

Every public speaker does it when they aren't speaking from a prepared script. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I would love to take Alamaba's spare QB's and RB's, Oregons spare receivers, Ohio State's spare OL's and LB's, LSU's spare DB's, and Wisconsin's spare DL's  Kind of the UNT Franken-team.  Utilizes others spare parts until we can recruit those same players on our own....  I am ready for other team's to want our spare players......

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Just now, Green P1 said:

Since Rodge. 

No at least not after seeing Rodge in person, he was fast but not durable and not particularly accurate, plus he did not have a deep ball. After seeing these QB's during this scrimmage it felt more like serious college football to me. They were threading the needle, I don't think I remember a QB that could do that with a quick release in the years I have been watching.  Plus they all have arms on them, they don't have to float the ball up in the air to hang a receiver out to dry on deep throws.

I was shocked I tell you  just shocked to see this kind of players at the Mean Green Scrimmage. 

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I asked previously...

is is it better to go to a great football school and watch, or to go to a substantially lesser program and play every down for 4 years ?

GO MEAN GREEN

Depends on the experience you are looking for. Different strokes for different folks. 

I have a good friend who is currently struggling with this and his daughter. Sometimes, it is harder on the parents than the player. 

Personally, I would want to play.

I asked previously...

is is it better to go to a great football school and watch, or to go to a substantially lesser program and play every down for 4 years ?

GO MEAN GREEN

If someone was giving me a scholarship offer to a big school and a smaller (in terms of athletics) school, i would always want to go to the big school, because i want to play with the best, i want to prove that i can win one of the most coveted positions in the nation and i want to be able to have a chance to make the NFL...

I know there are a lot of arguments to 'playing 4 years', but that doesn't matter much to me unless the campus/recruiter/coach make a real connection with me.

I asked previously...

GO MEAN GREEN

It depends on my athletic ability. I am a realist, the problem is most of these kids are not. They are all about 'proving themselves' and 'bringing in' and 'grinding'...In other words they are about a bunch of ego inflation bullshit regardless of athletic ability or not. I mean if you say something enough it must be true, right @UNT90? I would weigh my options and go to the place that gave me the best opportunity to be a 2-3 year starter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2016/team/22/p1

Alabama's defense was ranked number 3 last year

UNT defense was ranked 119 last year

I would wager he could be one of the top 3 Qb's in the CUSA

What does that stat have to do with QB performance?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

It depends on my athletic ability. I am a realist, the problem is most of these kids are not. They are all about 'proving themselves' and 'bringing in' and 'grinding'...In other words they are about a bunch of ego inflation bullshit regardless of athletic ability or not. I mean if you say something enough it must be true, right @UNT90? I would weigh my options and go to the place that gave me the best opportunity to be a 2-3 year starter. 

No, young Ben. Facts make the truth self evident. Without them, you have opinion. Most of what is said on this fan forum is opinion. The fact that you don't like mine and try to mischaracterize it just shows how insecure you are in your own opinions. 

But that's ok. Maturity will hopefully come. I would leave hopefully out, but some on here have proven that with age doth wisdom not necessarily come...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Interesting opinions and points of view. 

One more question. 

I have never met Alex Morris nor his family.  But if I were to meet him/them, is my original question a fair and reasonable one to ask ?  That is, knowing what he knows now, would he have made the same decision as to where to play college football.

If not before, certainly now that the Dallas Morning News has essentially posed the same question:  Watch for 4 years or play for 4 years ? 

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I asked previously...

GO MEAN GREEN

People recruited to those top football schools have been THE MAN in their part of the world since junior high.  None of them think they aren't going to continue to do so at Alabama, UT, USC, etc.  

So in their minds the question you are asking is do you want to play every down at some CUSA school or play every down in the SEC?  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

People recruited to those top football schools have been THE MAN in their part of the world since junior high.  None of them think they aren't going to continue to do so at Alabama, UT, USC, etc.  

So in their minds the question you are asking is do you want to play every down at some CUSA school or play every down in the SEC?  

Exactly.    If the guy were to answer "no", I don't know that the P5 school would want him anyway.  

When you're a TX 5A state champ QB like Morris, and Alabama offers, why would you think you're not going to win the job there?   ...You just did it at one of the best HS programs in the country.

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Exactly.    If the guy were to answer "no", I don't know that the P5 school would want him anyway.  

When you're a TX 5A state champ QB like Morris, and Alabama offers, why would you think you're not going to win the job there?   ...You just did it at one of the best HS programs in the country.

Also... Saban is walking into his living room saying...

'hey kid, listen, i know you've got a chance to go play at UNT against FIU/FAU whatever else there is... but in my opinion, you have got what it takes to be QB1 of my program... and my program has won 3 national championships in the past 8 years... and believe me, it's going to take some hard work... but if you don't want to put in the hard work, i dont want you... but if you want to test your limits and come play in a position where i've had 3 kids drafted to the NFL in recent years, i truly believe you can lead this programto a 4th national championship.'

2 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2016/team/22/p1

I would wager he could be one of the top 3 Qb's in the CUSA

I'm hoping that the stats continue here at UNT. I think a lot of us believe Morris is going to be the best QB we have had at UNT for awhile. 

Although I'm thankful for what Derek Thompson did here, I am so tired of hearing about his QB play 3 freaking years later.... The QB dilemma has just been haunting us for to long. 

Let's judge this after the 1st half of the SMU game, shall we?

Its nice to hear he has as good an arm as any Tech QB, but the natural follow up would be then why couldn't be get above third team at 'Bama?

Best case scenerio is he has a breakout year, gets a free agent NFL deal and makes a roster. That way UNT can tell other grad transfers they have a similar path (see La Tech). Worst case scenerio is he has a case of the Chads against SMU. 

There is always a very wide variable with a complete unknown. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3