MGB: Michael Sewell Jr. talks about committing to UNT

Brett Vito

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

Anndddddd he's decommitted. I really hope this coaching squad has a plan because it doesn't seem like they do.

I think Seth and company chose to pull the scholly for several reason. I think they viewed safety and defensive backs as one of the strengths of the team. and choose if they were going to use a JUCO spot for a kid use it on one that was more of a weakness (WR and OL). 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think Seth and company chose to pull the scholly for several reason. I think they viewed safety and defensive backs as one of the strengths of the team. and choose if they were going to use a JUCO spot for a kid use it on one that was more of a weakness (WR and OL). 

I think James Gray's spot is wide open and I am not so sure someone can fill it. Also, McClain is gone after next year. We will need some experience in the back end even for just that 1 year after McClain leaves. Can we confirm this offer was pulled and if so, how? Either way, I don't like this. This, in my mind, is a position of need. None of our current DB's are suited for S except for the safeties we already have (of which all 3 are upperclassmen in Schellci, Gray, and McClain).  

• Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think James Gray's spot is wide open and I am not so sure someone can fill it. Also, McClain is gone after next year. We will need some experience in the back end even for just that 1 year after McClain leaves. Can we confirm this offer was pulled and if so, how? Either way, I don't like this. This, in my mind, is a position of need. None of our current DB's are suited for S except for the safeties we already have (of which all 3 are upperclassmen in Schellci, Gray, and McClain).  

Dee Baulkman, Khairi Muhammad, and Ashton Preston would beg to differ with you

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Dee Baulkman, Khairi Muhammad, and Ashton Preston would beg to differ with you

These two are nickels/corner and if we want our D to improve and not regress, they need to remain there. Baulkman, you got me. I forgot about him. But he's in the same position as McClain, gone after next season. 

Maybe Darius Turner or Taylor Robinson can bulk up a little bit and move into this role. But they both have minimal to no playing time/experience. Seems a bit premature and unexpected to pull a JUCO S offer, especially one that was going to be here at the end of this month. Seems, given the timing, more of a decommit than a pulled offer. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

These two are nickels/corner and if we want our D to improve and not regress, they need to remain there. Baulkman, you got me. I forgot about him. But he's in the same position as McClain, gone after next season. 

Maybe Darius Turner or Taylor Robinson can bulk up a little bit and move into this role. But they both have minimal to no playing time/experience. Seems a bit premature and unexpected to pull a JUCO S offer, especially one that was going to be here at the end of this month. Seems, given the timing, more of a decommit than a pulled offer. 

Makyle Sanders* Darius Turner Kway Hill Cedric Fernades. Several options to choose from. Unlike other spots like WR and OL and back up QB. 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I could understand this if we had a nearly full class, but right now we aren't winning any battles. To take away a scholarship from arguably our best recruit seems a little ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I am saving my judgement until Febuary. We had 1 commit this time last year. 

This is a fair statement. I'm concerned but also trying to be patient since we were so bad in 2015. I hope this isn't their game plan every year though. If we eventually want to take that next step, we'll eventually need to start winning battles early for better recruits and keep those recruits instead of getting the best of what's leftover in January.

• Upvote 1

Sewell committed to UNT before the season.

“I haven’t talked to North Texas at all,” Sewell said Friday. “I was committed before the season began. We lost communication. They said they were going to take me. I thought my slot was established."

This kind of stuff bothers me.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This kind of stuff bothers me.

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Maybe more to this than has been enclosed, but it doesn't seem very professional to just not communicate with a committed player.  Of course, we are only getting the player's side of the story.  

This stuff happens alot in recruitment. not just us. 

13 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Really have trouble even seeing this as a story. Kinda like who cares!

Rah rah rah, sis boom bah. Nothing to see here, and if there is, just close your eyes and pretend.

Be a good little UNT fan. 

?

Maybe there is something up, maybe there isn't, but this type of dismissing concerns outright is what got UNT 15 years of the Hattiesburg Hustler.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

With your knowledge, how are you not on a staff somewhere?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Makyle Sanders* Darius Turner Kway Hill Cedric Fernades. Several options to choose from. Unlike other spots like WR and OL and back up QB. 

Those are four guys who didn't play meaningful snaps this season, including a current high schooler and two guys who came in as walkons. If those are options to choose from at DB then so are guys like Jalen Thomas, Chandler Anthony, RD Wegmann, Dakoda Newman, etc. on the offensive line and guys like Quinetin Jackson, Deion Hair Griffin, Daniel Khan, etc. at receiver.

I can definitely see the possibility of what you're saying that the coaches would rather focus their JUCO efforts at OL and WR, but there is definitely enough uncertainty regarding the future of the safety position to warrant a spot this class on a JUCO safety if our coaches really wanted one.

Edited by BillySee58

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but it's possible that he may not be in a position to graduate in December so the coaches focused their attention on players that are more likely to be here for the spring.  You just never know what is really going on unless someone involved chooses to share some info.

I will be a little surprised if we don't announce at least 4 or 5 mid term signees.  It certainly seems like a couple of juco OL and a couple of juco WRs are needed to fill some holes.  

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but it's possible that he may not be in a position to graduate in December so the coaches focused their attention on players that are more likely to be here for the spring.  You just never know what is really going on unless someone involved chooses to share some info.

I will be a little surprised if we don't announce at least 4 or 5 mid term signees.  It certainly seems like a couple of juco OL and a couple of juco WRs are needed to fill some holes.  

That's always a possibility.  

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Those are four guys who didn't play meaningful snaps this season, including a current high schooler and two guys who came in as walkons. If those are options to choose from at DB then so are guys like Jalen Thomas, Chandler Anthony, RD Wegmann, Dakoda Newman, etc. on the offensive line and guys like Quinetin Jackson, Deion Hair Griffin, Daniel Khan, etc. at receiver.

I can definitely see the possibility of what you're saying that the coaches would rather focus their JUCO efforts at OL and WR, but there is definitely enough uncertainty regarding the future of the safety position to warrant a spot this class on a JUCO safety if our coaches really wanted one.

But we have talked on it here several times that most of the time it takes juco a full year for it to click and catch up with D-1 speed. Something happened during the season. whether it was poor performance or "AT THE END OF THE DAY" he wasn't a big enough improvement from what they already have. And after the Hayes and Johnson  dilemma last year it may be grades. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

But we have talked on it here several times that most of the time it takes juco a full year for it to click and catch up with D-1 speed. Something happened during the season. whether it was poor performance or "AT THE END OF THE DAY" he wasn't a big enough improvement from what they already have. And after the Hayes and Johnson  dilemma last year it may be grades. 

Sure, but that doesn't apply anymore to safety than JUCOs at other positions. Plus, a mid-term enrollee gives you a decent shot at them being able to contribute earlier in that first year. And grades don't make sense timeline-wise, because he said they stopped communicating before he would've had time to get bad grades.

Yeah, it is pretty obvious something happened during the season, or maybe even before. Was just saying the future at the safety position the next two years isn't really much more certain than OL or WR, if at all.

• Upvote 1