MGB: A name to keep in mind in AD search: Wren Baker

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Surely Baker and Littrell know several of the same folks being similar Oklahomans around the same age...

It does seem that Baker would be a comfortable choice to pair with Littrell.  Not sure which I would like better.  Teague also has a pretty nice resume along with some skins on the wall.

Edited by TreeFiddy

The original quotes seem to indicate Baker is the top choice over Teague (assuming we have the correct names).  I have to agree that Baker has the better resume for what we need.  I'd like him to be a more dynamic speaker but I bet he's more relaxed off camera.  He must be an impressive interview to be hired as a principal at such an early age.

I think Baker would be a great hire for us. 

• Upvote 2

I would be happy with either choice as they are both strong in the coach selection and fundraising areas where we need the most help. They have both had experience with P5 schools and lower level(G5, FCS, D2) levels. They know how the big boys do it but they also know the struggles of lower level programs. Exciting times!

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

you are coming around 90.....

I'm not coming anywhere. I had a very preset way I thought this should go. Thankfully, it's looking like it couldn't have gone any better. You can never guarantee success for any hire, but it appears Smatresk and the others involved in this process have done their due diligence to ensure that the best candidate possible gets the job. 

See, unlike you I'm not just a rah rah sis boom ba type of guy. I expect results. Hopefully some of our older fans finally get what they have waited on for decades. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

22 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I'm not coming anywhere. I had a very preset way I thought this should go. Thankfully, it's looking like it couldn't have gone any better. You can never guarantee success for any hire, but it appears Smatresk and the others involved in this process have done their due diligence to ensure that the best candidate possible gets the job. 

See, unlike you I'm not just a rah rah sis boom ba type of guy. I expect results. Hopefully some of our older fans finally get what they have waited on for decades. 

sheesh...way to make everyone choose sides. seems you're living in the house that guilt built just because this is not what you had planned. things maybe aren't as hopeless as you make them out to be? I for one, would be very happy with this hire and think we could be looking at our brightest new year in a long time. 

• Upvote 5

It's all about the kaizen. We need continuous improvement. We need someone that will never settle. Never coast. Never rest on his laurels. Never be happy with his accomplishments. After Apogee was built RV said my legacy is secure, eff it. My hope is that whomever comes in here will be gone in 5 years because a top P5 school throws a ton of money at him because of what he is able to accomplish here. 

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Dr Teague would be a nice fit, but not sure he is ready for UNT, he has done a fantastic job at UCA as they moved from D2 toi FCS, but he made a disaster hire in MBB, he does not seem to fundraise at the level needed, facilities in the minor sports are not where they should be, learned to get by on the cheap for the most part. He lost the FB Coach to rival Conference team due to low pay, but all that said if he was hired by UNT he would do ok, I just do not see him as the right fit though, until he shows he can fundraise better.

Awesome insight on Teague.

Whoever is hired needs to be willing to raise funds at a high level.  Both from boosters as well as the university itself.  Good that Baker has had a glimpse of how the P5 operate and hopefully would not be afraid to hold university administration's feet to the fire and demand adequate support, which has to be increased even higher from current levels if we are going to become a top program.

Can't wait for the news.

• Upvote 2