Conference Realignment More Interest or Less

Has conference realignment made you watch more or less college football?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have you watched more games not directly related to UNT or fewer games since the formation of the new Super Conferences?

• I watch more games.
    • My viewership has not changed.
    • I watch fewer games.

Since the formation of the original Big 12 every conference realignment more has made me less inclined to watch games that did not have a direct impact on UNT's season.  I loved the original Big 12 and I followed the SEC (12), the Big East, Big 10 and the PAC 10 closely most years.  Now these mega-conferences are watered down with weak rivalries that have very little on the field history.  UT vs WVU, Cincy, Memphis, Louisville, or BYU has no interest to me.  And you could plug any other state of Texas FBS (not wearing Mean Green) team in for UT vs those team and I still would not have interest. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

we need to turn our program around, it may already be to late.

People said this the last realignment and the one before that and before that.  It's never too late.  If the resources are appropriated and the investment is made it can happen.  Hearing that our basketball team has to PAY the University to practice at the Pit does not strike me as a wholehearted show of support for our athletic program to win.  That's just one example.  Coaching hires and AD hires are important as well.  Ask Houston where they would be if they had not hire Briles, Sumlin...Hermann.  

Also on the Super Pit travesty -- It's not only practice, they charge athletics to play games there, and they charge AD for cleaning the place. The AD also has to pay the band to play at football and BBall games.  It's unbelievable the roadblocks that have been allowed to continue there.  This type of stuff needs to see the light of day.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Also on the Super Pit travesty -- It's not only practice, they charge athletics to play games there, and they charge AD for cleaning the place. The AD also has to pay the band to play at football and BBall games.  It's unbelievable the roadblocks that have been allowed to continue there.  This type of stuff needs to see the light of day.

It's not designated an athletics facility. It probably doesn't get built if it had been. It's no different than one department charging another at any university or corporation. 

Doesn't even make the top 25 reasons of why our BBall teams stink.

• Upvote 2

Just now, meanrob said:

Doesn't even make the top 25 reasons of why our BBall teams stink.

I didn't say that it was -- My point is, we shouldn't be charging our basketball team to play in their own gym.  How many winning programs do that?

Just now, Harry said:

I didn't say that it was -- My point is, we shouldn't be charging our basketball team to play in their own gym.  How many winning programs do that?

How many winning programs get the level of fan support/contributions that we do? 

I bet that list is small

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, meanrob said:

How many winning programs get the level of fan support/contributions that we do? 

I bet that list is small

And I know we are building (or built) a Bball practice facility to alleviate the practice issues but if I remember right it has no bathrooms/showers?

I'm over everybody pointing at these insignificant issues for our failures when the problem all along has been the athletic department itself. If I am in the facilities department and saw what RV, Mac, and Benford are making along with their budget and looked at the results they were producing, I'd tell them to go jump in a lake too. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes, they are charged for these services just like tuition for athletes and then the money to cover these costs and a lot more is transferred in the form of institutional funds to balance the budget.   

So until NT athletics generates a profit which will never happen, these expenses amount to next to nothing.  Even the scheduling conflicts with athletics IMO are a "red herring".   Other universities where the facility is owned by the athletic department still have other events scheduled.  The only difference is they get to charge the university and reduce their deficit instead of increase it.   In either case, the decision to schedule other events is done by same administration.   

NT built a than magnificent basketball facility with a lot of state money.   Good for NT, bad for the taxpayers.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, they are charged for these services just like tuition for athletes and then the money to cover these costs and a lot more is transferred in the form of institutional funds to balance the budget.   

Exactly

However that didn't stop RV from pissing and moaning about it. He saw it as lack of institutional support meanwhile his hire of Benford costs at least tens of thousands in lost revenue. Probably more. It was a good tactic and worked for a while, pointing out and complaining about the small shit to deflect the fans from his failures at the big shit. 

Please o' please athletic gods, let us have a competent AD in my lifetime. Preferably now. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, meanrob said:

It was a good tactic and worked for a while, pointing out and complaining about the small shit to deflect the fans from his failures at the big shit. 

It's was more than that. It was fabricating excuses to deflect attention from failures.

This is why I'm VERY interested in the financial audit of the AD. The conditions were ripe for mismanagement of funds or far worse. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

It's was more than that. It was fabricating excuses to deflect attention from failures.

This is why I'm VERY interested in the financial audit of the AD. The conditions were ripe for mismanagement of funds or far worse. 

It's over.  RV is gone.  Let the dead rest in peace.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, GTWT said:

It's over.  RV is gone.  Let the dead rest in peace.

If people like you were the only fans of this program, RV would still be AD.

Dont you care if there were improprieties in the AD? Especially with Hank being pushed on Smatresk by the DRC and Denton business leaders? 

Are you afraid of the results? 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

I've heard that Athletics is charged for the Coliseum from day one.  But I've never heard how much was charged.  It makes sense to me that somebody has to pay the light bill.  And somebody has to pay for cleaning.  And certainly the Police that keep us safe need to be paid for.  Do those students that stand at the portals get paid ?  How about the ladies that can't ever seem to be able to scan my tickets.  Do they get paid ?  And how about all those men that sit at the scorer's table ?   Does Athletics pay an inflated amount or does Athletics pay the same rate, for the same potential number of fans as, say the history department (?) ?

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If people like you were the only fans of this program, RV would still be AD.

I don't think "people like me" had anything to so with the decision, one way or another.

Dont you care if there were improprieties in the AD? Especially with Hank being pushed on Smatresk by the DRC and Denton business leaders? 

That's in the past.  Let it lie.

Are you afraid of the results? 

Yes.  If the results are bad - they hurt my university.  If the results are good - they won't matter.

Give it a rest.  RV is gone.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

36 minutes ago, GTWT said:

I don't think "people like me" had anything to so with the decision, one way or another.

That's in the past.  Let it lie.

Yes.  If the results are bad - they hurt my university.  If the results are good - they won't matter.

Give it a rest.  RV is gone.

Amazing.

What hurts your university is hiding the truth.

That is usually the greater sin. 

Cant say I'm surprised, though. 

33 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed.  Time to move on.

This type of thought is what allowed the accounting scandal to go on for decades. 

Find the problems and be honest about them. 

Didn't y'all's parents teach you anything? 

Seems like all that Baylor talk this summer has fallen on deaf ears with you 2.

SMH.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Everyone who gives up their time and talents gets paid at the SuperPit on game day.  Why would we want it any other way?  Paying the band galls me a bit, but it is done almost everywhere.  We did, at least, have the luxury of the 'Backup Basketball Band' that did not charge us...Thanks, Joe.

Realignment hasn't really changed my viewing much. Having a team that doesn't suck has changed my viewing. We play six home games instead of five and I make more road games so I watch a lot less college football because I'm not home. Yeah you lose a Nebraska-OU (but that wasn't a protected game in Big XII and was being skipped) and get Nebraska - Iowa which tends to be plenty entertaining. You lose UT-TAMU and pick-up TAMU-LSU and I can't say I hate seeing the two most insane fan bases playing each other.

Oh we lost Mizzou-KU, honestly who outside Missouri or Kansas or with some ties to one or the other gave a rip whether they played in football?

The pep band for basketball was paid when I was there 95-97...wanna say maybe 500 bucks a season...marching band was a class and the performance at games was a requirement for credit...there was no pep band class, therefore they had to pay members to play in it

1 hour ago, THOR said:

The pep band for basketball was paid when I was there 95-97...wanna say maybe 500 bucks a season...marching band was a class and the performance at games was a requirement for credit...there was no pep band class, therefore they had to pay members to play in it

Do they pay the cheerleaders & dance squad?  Some things should be done as a service to your university.