MGB: C-USA preseason poll out

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Someone will have to tell me why UTEP is supposed to be good.  I think one publication had them going 7-5.  Is this the same UTEP that we played last year?  The one we could have beaten had the coach not put in certain QBs.

Transfer QB Zach Greenlee from Fresno St. Good OL. Jones returns at RB. They get FAU, FIU, and ODU from the East. 

On July 21, 2016 at 2:51 PM, GOMG2013 said:

Someone will have to tell me why UTEP is supposed to be good.  I think one publication had them going 7-5.  Is this the same UTEP that we played last year?  The one we could have beaten had the coach not put in certain QBs.

They led the conference in season-ending injuries, return their all-conference running back who went out for the season early against Tech, and got the grad transfer QB mentioned above. They probably won't compete for a conference title, but considering they were 5-7 last year, expecting them to go 7-5 with all those upgrades makes sense.

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

They led the conference in season-ending injuries, return their all-conference running back who went out for the season early against Tech, and got the grad transfer QB mentioned above. They probably won't compete for a conference title, but considering they were 5-7 last year, expecting them to go 7-5 with all those upgrades makes sense.

I wouldn't be comfortable with a G5 grad transfer from a wavering program. What does that really prove?  

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

I wouldn't be comfortable with a G5 grad transfer from a wavering program. What does that really prove?  

That all depends. Does Fresno St. have a junior starter that is a potential pro prospect? 

And what if the P5 grad transfer came from a program with no pro prospects at the QB position? 

Dont paint with a broad brush. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

That all depends. Does Fresno St. have a junior starter that is a potential pro prospect? 

And what if the P5 grad transfer came from a program with no pro prospects at the QB position? 

Dont paint with a broad brush. 

Don't blindly paint with a fine brush either. To me, it's always a crap shoot with these transfers, even for us. I can't say I know of any stud QB at Fresno, so unless they gotta guy this utep transfer has lesser odds of being successful than say Alec Morris. 

*Greenlee is a 46% completion percentage guy while at Fresno. Sooooo

• Upvote 2

Not shocking, but would like/hope that we can win 3-4 games.. would be a very big reach for 6 wins.. but if the Defense plays as well as they should and offense plays avg. I could see us surprise a few teams.

Our offense i think will be only as good as the OLine will let us be.. Defense I think could be in the top 30/40, possibly higher if everyone works out? or does that seem like a stretch? 

2 hours ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Not shocking, but would like/hope that we can win 3-4 games.. would be a very big reach for 6 wins.. but if the Defense plays as well as they should and offense plays avg. I could see us surprise a few teams.

Our offense i think will be only as good as the OLine will let us be.. Defense I think could be in the top 30/40, possibly higher if everyone works out? or does that seem like a stretch? 

That stretch would snap the best elastic ever made.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

I feel as if our Defense will play with alot more energy and should be alot more motivated... with the likes of Hoston, the LBs that we have brought in, along with Ekler. Also, I think SL and GH are smart enough to adjust their gameplay to what fits this team best.... I don't think our staffs in the past did that. 

I think we should temper our expectations for the late-arriving JUCO players. The other risk with these late arriving guys is that even if they do make it in grade wise, they are still on a very tight time crunch to get acclimated. Like Jareid Combs last year, who was highly recruited, had great JUCO production, and had the size/speed combination, yet he had zero sacks in his first year here.

Any impact Hoston and co. can have in year one should hopefully be more of a bonus than something we're counting on, but with our limited numbers we honestly are leaning more towards counting on it.

Edited by BillySee58