GoMeanGreen.com 2016 Denton Food and Drink List

Harry

23 hours ago, Green P1 said:

If you can deal with the creepiness... Hoochies is really good. 

What's creepy?  I love their food.  

Best Mexican food in town is La Sabrocita.  Anyone telling you otherwise is a know liar and a possible communist subversive.   

The only downside is the Denton location has limited seating.   Get the pastor plate, get a Mexican coke, ask them to bring you hot salsa and the chips that they make onsite.  You will always be disappointed in other Mexican food joints.  

ETA: As an added bonus, for the last two years or so most of the cashiers hablan Inglés.

I don't know about Mr.Frosty and all the love. Got a root beer float and the cheap ice cream out of the ice cream shitter had way too much ice & water and hardly any cream stuff. I was very disappointed after all the rave reviews I kept hearing about this place.  

My go to place in Denton is always Chuys. Their hatch chile sauce just can't be beat...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Best Mexican food in town is La Sabrocita.  Anyone telling you otherwise is a know liar and a possible communist subversive.   

The only downside is the Denton location has limited seating.   Get the pastor plate, get a Mexican coke, ask them to bring you hot salsa and the chips that they make onsite.  You will always be disappointed in other Mexican food joints.  

ETA: As an added bonus, for the last two years or so most of the cashiers hablan Inglés.

I still haven't found a Mexican food spot in Houston as good as Sabrocita. 

• Upvote 2

I forgot to mention Taps and Caps.  Has anybody mentioned them yet?  Those guys are the BEST as getting in weird craft beer and alerting their regular customers of the super secret stash stuff.  You can not go in there for two years, and they'll still remember you, what you like, and know exactly what they've got that you have to have.  They've been running Lone Star Beverage in Carrollton for years, and the first Taps and Caps location in Lewisville for I think two years.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Like.... How?!

Your sarcasm meter didn't go off?

31 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I forgot to mention Taps and Caps.  Has anybody mentioned them yet?  Those guys are the BEST as getting in weird craft beer and alerting their regular customers of the super secret stash stuff.  You can not go in there for two years, and they'll still remember you, what you like, and know exactly what they've got that you have to have.  They've been running Lone Star Beverage in Carrollton for years, and the first Taps and Caps location in Lewisville for I think two years.

Good call!

• Upvote 2

It took me a while to even think of the name of this place, but on my latest adventure to see a buddy's band play in Denton, I stumbled across the "Fat Shack." I honestly couldn't tell you how good this place is normally, but after a few (or so) brews, it was like God's gift to mankind. Just greasy, disgusting drunk people food. Off Elm Street pretty close to the square.

http://fatshack.com/menu/

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

The Horny Toad Café at I35N and Loop 288 was good this weekend.  They have a Mean Green cocktail and a Mean Green Chicken dish, one of our party ordered and raved about, so they obviously support UNT.  I have heard Texas Tapas was very good.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/23/2016 at 1:27 PM, Cerebus said:

Hoochie's--yes, legit.  Has moved to our favorite place for fried seafood in Denton.  Have not noticed creepiness there.

I have been to La Sabrocita twice, and hesitate to go back.  The carnitas we got there were the worst I have ever had--bar none.  Tortillas were ok, and pastor was ok.  Again, this was probably 3 years ago, so I'm sure I owe them another visit.

I am going to throw out Taqueria Monterrey on Mayhill behind Dickey's, right in the corner of the shopping strip there.  Although I still favor La Estrella on Taco Alley (McKinney Street), this place is good.  Plenty good.  Tortas are ok.  Taco's are very very good, and service is fast and plenty of seating.  Several agua's fresca, and all the fountain/bottled drinks you want.

Reuben sandwich?  Believe it or not, Hooligan's is where we go for these.

Also--one of the best burgers in Denton County is at Ranchman's in Ponder.  When we go there, I order a burger--forget steak.

Root beer:  Mr. Frosty.

Beer:  Oak street establishments.

If your wife likes fruity frozen drinks, go to Red Lobster (I'm not kidding) and have her order a Bahama Mama.  She will try to order a second.  You?  Order Sam Adams Lager on tap in the tall glass.  You're welcome.

28 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Hoochie's--yes, legit.  Has moved to our favorite place for fried seafood in Denton.  Have not noticed creepiness there.

I have been to La Sabrocita twice, and hesitate to go back.  The carnitas we got there were the worst I have ever had--bar none.  Tortillas were ok, and pastor was ok.  Again, this was probably 3 years ago, so I'm sure I owe them another visit.

I am going to throw out Taqueria Monterrey on Mayhill behind Dickey's, right in the corner of the shopping strip there.  Although I still favor La Estrella on Taco Alley (McKinney Street), this place is good.  Plenty good.  Tortas are ok.  Taco's are very very good, and service is fast and plenty of seating.  Several agua's fresca, and all the fountain/bottled drinks you want.

Reuben sandwich?  Believe it or not, Hooligan's is where we go for these.

Also--one of the best burgers in Denton County is at Ranchman's in Ponder.  When we go there, I order a burger--forget steak.

Root beer:  Mr. Frosty.

Beer:  Oak street establishments.

If your wife likes fruity frozen drinks, go to Red Lobster (I'm not kidding) and have her order a Bahama Mama.  She will try to order a second.  You?  Order Sam Adams Lager on tap in the tall glass.  You're welcome.

Army of Mom and I will never darken their door again. We both got some serious food poisoning last time we ate there on top of poor service (had to complain about cold food and undercooked chicken).

They could have improved to the best food in the county and I'll never know.

3 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Army of Mom and I will never darken their door again. We both got some serious food poisoning last time we ate there on top of poor service (had to complain about cold food and undercooked chicken).

They could have improved to the best food in the county and I'll never know.

I have had poor service there before, as well.  We have stuck to narrow choices though, and so far, so good.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:40 PM, untcampbell said:

Number 1 son recommends, but I haven't been yet, Dix Coney Island. Open 24 hours, a rarity amongst Denton's non-chain food joints. He eats the breakfast, usually pancakes, any time of day and reports the price point would make this Scot a happy diner. Can't wait for football season.

I've eaten at Dix, both the coneys and the breakfast. It's very good, and yeah, the prices are reasonable. Friendly service, too. The son of the guy who owns the original Dix-- which is in Michigan-- owns/runs this one.

The thing that throws most people is the chili. This isn't chunky Texas-style chili on your coney; it's a smooth-ish Greek immigrant-style chili sauce made with beef and some non-Texan seasonings. Anyone who's eaten at James Coney Island in Houston will recognize the style. Breakfast is served in several ways... traditional eggs, fried potatoes, pancakes, stuff like that, and they make their own desserts. They offer baklava cheesecake. Say that with me... baklava cheesecake. It was so popular that we couldn't get a slice until our third visit there because they'd run out. That's some damn good stuff.

The last time we went to Giuseppe's, we were disappointed. The food was really, really off. We honestly will probably never go back.

Breakfasts at Seven Mile Cafe are awesome. You will not walk away hungry from that place. My older son gets the crab cake benedict, and I've never had anything i haven't liked there.

My one complaint about Mr. Frosty is that they don't salt their food much, but it's a good burger, so I don't really mind. And the root beer is the bomb. Last spring, I took lunch from Mr. Frosty's to my younger boy for his birthday, and one of his friends he sat with recognized the container, food, and root beer smell immediately. The poor kid looked wistfully from his school plate to my boy's yummies and nibbled at his Asian stir-fry.

Another vote for Barley and Board. It's got a unique food personality. Their grilled cheese and tomato soup lunch special is great; they drizzle some seasoned oil into the soup that just... yum.

If I want just a good ole sammich, it's Weinberger's. For Indian food, we hit up Rasoi.

1 hour ago, LongJim said:

I am going to throw out Taqueria Monterrey on Mayhill behind Dickey's, right in the corner of the shopping strip there. 

Yes. That's pretty good stuff. Breakfast tacos are reliably good, especially with their salsas.

• Upvote 2

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:40 PM, untcampbell said:

Second for Candy/Kolache Haven and Mr. Frosty, and props to you both for suggesting these Denton institutions. When I opened the Putt Putt Golf and Games in Denton, Candy Haven was my birthday cake vendor. And they are still my favorite cake. Mr. Frosty is our after game hangout (I usually have lots of kids with me).

Number 1 son recommends, but I haven't been yet, Dix Coney Island. Open 24 hours, a rarity amongst Denton's non-chain food joints. He eats the breakfast, usually pancakes, any time of day and reports the price point would make this Scot a happy diner. Can't wait for football season.

GMG

Dix Coney Island doesn't serve pork products. Won't go there.