MGB: Former UNT coach takes over at SMU, balance of power in DFW hoops in flux

On 7/9/2016 at 3:41 PM, UNT90 said:

Balance of power in flux? Between who? TCU, UTA, and SMU?

Because Tony Benford is still stealing money from UNT..

I'm not too worried about Benford*.  He'll probably get through January and be on his merry way.  I hope @TheTastyGreek puts together another coaching deathwatch contest this season.

* Unless for some ungodly reason, Dickenson is our next AD.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I'm not too worried about Benford*.  He'll probably get through January and be on his merry way.  I hope @TheTastyGreek puts together another coaching deathwatch contest this season.

I don't know if we get Tasty back. 

Hope to God we do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

UTA dominates DFW in my humble opinion.  SMU has so far been a flash in the pan, UTA has been doing it for years and beating the breaks off people.  I think UTA is the 2nd or 3rd best program in the State if everyone played a giant round robin.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

UTA dominates DFW in my humble opinion.  SMU has so far been a flash in the pan, UTA has been doing it for years and beating the breaks off people.  I think UTA is the 2nd or 3rd best program in the State if everyone played a giant round robin.  

Kinda fell apart last year after their stud, future NBA player got hurt. It'll be interesting to see how they and he rebound.

Great new arena (good Lord, they needed it) and a GREAT game presentation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

9 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

9 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I don't know if we get Tasty back. 

Hope to God we do. 

I doubt I'm gone for good. 

This personal UNT malaise has happened to coincide with a big year for me. Family-wise, and professionally, neither of which I really want to elaborate on in any great detail. Suffice it to say, as much as things suck right now for NT sports, they're going well on a personal level. 

Work-wise, my biggest distraction finally clears my plate around the holidays. So, right about the time that we may be forced to admit another year of basketball failure, I should be more available to rework that coaching recruiting forum.  

4 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I doubt I'm gone for good. 

This personal UNT malaise has happened to coincide with a big year for me. Family-wise, and professionally, neither of which I really want to elaborate on in any great detail. Suffice it to say, as much as things suck right now for NT sports, they're going well on a personal level. 

Work-wise, my biggest distraction finally clears my plate around the holidays. So, right about the time that we may be forced to admit another year of basketball failure, I should be more available to rework that coaching recruiting forum.  

???

This gives this grumpy old guy reason for optimism, as does the possibility of a new AD.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

On 7/11/2016 at 11:05 AM, oldguystudent said:

I don't think we need to spend a lot of time worrying about Dickenson as the AD, Bedford coaching at NT past February or comets hitting the Earth before April. I put them all in about the same level of likelihood. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I don't think we need to spend a lot of time worrying about Dickenson as the AD, Bedford coaching at NT past February or comets hitting the Earth before April. I put them all in about the same level of likelihood. 

I hope you are right, but one of those things doesn't fit with the other 2.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4