College Interns Attempt College Petition Game In Real World, Get Fired

http://www.askamanager.org/2016/06/i-was-fired-from-my-internship-for-writing-a-proposal-for-a-more-flexible-dress-code.html

Pretty...sad, really.  Maybe it hammers home to them that college campuses are like fantasy lands with administrators who lack balls and, at minimum, overall direction; at worse, any type of conviction.

Or, maybe it won't hammer it home for them and we'll soon have these types of shenanigans going on with new hires all around the country. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

http://www.askamanager.org/2016/06/i-was-fired-from-my-internship-for-writing-a-proposal-for-a-more-flexible-dress-code.html

Pretty...sad, really.  Maybe it hammers home to them that college campuses are like fantasy lands with administrators who lack balls and, at minimum, overall direction; at worse, any type of conviction.

Or, maybe it won't hammer it home for them and we'll soon have these types of shenanigans going on with new hires all around the country. 

or...perhaps this should read "business, already not paying those performing work for them, lets go of potentially valuable assets for petty, antiquated reasons"

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Considering that there are now parents calling their kid's bosses to complain about how they are being treated "unfairly" this does not surprise me. It amuses me further that they took to the internet to complain about their plight.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

An old job of mine had an open feedback intranet forum for suggestions. The wisdom of the older crowd brought us gems like "why can't we vape on the shop floor?," "why's the CEO an asshole and paid so much?," and "why won't the company pay for all my training to do (unrelated job things?)," and "can I start bringing my dog to office areas?" (Complete with links to a random study on therapy pets in nursing homes.)

The clapping seals in HR lapped this crap up and made senior leaders spend time answering these and other gems. The interns and younger folks definitely have their moments, but maybe once you wipe your knob dry from the joygasm over this one, you may want to cast an eye or two around the old peer group.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

In other words:

"We didn't have a clue about the true situation we were bitching about, made a gross, unforced error in judgment, got our ass handed to us after looking like callous, entitled fools, and now realize we're not in school anymore."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Quoner said:

An old job of mine had an open feedback intranet forum for suggestions. The wisdom of the older crowd brought us gems like "why can't we vape on the shop floor?," "why's the CEO an asshole and paid so much?," and "why won't the company pay for all my training to do (unrelated job things?)," and "can I start bringing my dog to office areas?" (Complete with links to a random study on therapy pets in nursing homes.)

The clapping seals in HR lapped this crap up and made senior leaders spend time answering these and other gems. The interns and younger folks definitely have their moments, but maybe once you wipe your knob dry from the joygasm over this one, you may want to cast an eye or two around the old peer group.

Amazing as it sounds, sometimes the intranet at my place of business provides better WTF moments than GMG. Almost always contributed to the older (and union) crowd. It's hard not to ask them if they know they're being an asshat. The company had to issue a "please be respectful" letter last week and the knuckleheads couldn't even keep the comments related to that clear from their "why's the CEO..." and "we were promised..." ramblings. You can find idiots in all demographics.

• Upvote 1

It's probably prejudiced, but we're a small business and simply don't hire anyone younger than 35.  In addition to not being able to cope well emotionally, they use p*ssy words and phrases. 

Also, along the lines of the "CEO is asshole/paid too much" sentiment, it's not really anyone's business what the CEO is paid if the business is private.  Go be jealous at a publicly traded company.  CEO's have paid dues far beyond what the cubicle dwelling/"working from home" butthole has. 

If the CEO hadn't paid their dues and had the wherewithal to start their company - which years later, by mistake, hired you to sit and waste time complaining - you wouldn't be drawing a paycheck from it.

Go get a union or government job if you want to waste time bitching about how much your boss makes.  Plastic dick farming weasels.

Paycheck jealousy.  Stupid.  Go start your own company to be the CEO of, worms, and then complain after you see how much work it takes to start, run, and keep a business afloat.

Pantscrapping donkeyfart carpetbaggers .

There should be a law that any intern who complains about the CEO should be publicly caned, Singapore-style.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

It's probably prejudiced, but we're a small business and simply don't hire anyone younger than 35.  In addition to not being able to cope well emotionally, they use p*ssy words and phrases. 

Also, along the lines of the "CEO is asshole/paid too much" sentiment, it's not really anyone's business what the CEO is paid if the business is private.  Go be jealous at a publicly traded company.  CEO's have paid dues far beyond what the cubicle dwelling/"working from home" butthole has. 

If the CEO hadn't paid their dues and had the wherewithal to start their company - which years later, by mistake, hired you to sit and waste time complaining - you wouldn't be drawing a paycheck from it.

Go get a union or government job if you want to waste time bitching about how much your boss makes.  Plastic dick farming weasels.

Paycheck jealousy.  Stupid.  Go start your own company to be the CEO of, worms, and then complain after you see how much work it takes to start, run, and keep a business afloat.

Pantscrapping donkeyfart carpetbaggers .

There should be a law that any intern who complains about the CEO should be publicly caned, Singapore-style.

I bet an intern pointed out your mistake...

you could've saved yourself a lot of words by simply saying "I don't understand how the world works these days so I'm going to keep those creating it at arm's length while I attempt squeeze every last drop of profitability from my company until it shrivels and dies without innovation and new ideas."

I bet someone under 35 would've even been able to reply in the right thread. especially if they themselves started it. 

oh...and "p*ssy"? really? just say pussy, you pussy. stop being such a pussy.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

It always irritated me when a guy I managed started complaining about his/her pay relative to a co-worker.  I always asked them something along the lines of:  "Was the $ figure you're paid disclosed to you when you signed on?  Yes?  And you found it fair and took the job?  Yes?  Then what is this discussion about?  Can you enlighten me?  Because I'm not sure what your co-worker's pay has to do with yours?"

• Upvote 3

Dress codes usually make sense..... [ a few are nuts ]  if none existed there is often someone that would show up dressed inappropriately for the job (or school)  or offensive to others (customers?)  Some would even dress to the point of dressing dangerously... loose clothing around machines for example. 

They should have  learned ... they don't make the rules .... especially a new employee..... If they can't live with the system ... leave.... that would even apply to a Hooter's employee. They too have a dress code ... just not like most job dress codes.. ...

Crazy one... several years ago a large oil company here required male employees to wear black or dark blue suits and a plain white shirt ... Their employees resembled  a bunch penguins... none of the other companies here did.. just dress clothes in their offices... 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

The last thing I want to hear from an intern is anything but "yes sir, I'm on it." 

Knowing your place in an organization is pretty damn important. Interns that keep their heads down and produce quality work are interns that get real job offers upon graduation.

This dude was a tool of the highest order. He was such a tool that he doesn't even think he did anything wrong and wants to argue for tennis shoes some more. Tool. 

Despite the opinion of our resident communist, what internships really are in essence is an audition. Yes, the company gets free work, but the intern gets the opportunity to impress, make contacts, and earn a job. Even if they don't get the job, tools like the moron in this article who never worked a day in his life actually have some work experience to put on their resume. 

It's a win/win for both parties and is capitalism at its finest.

Which is why the resident communist doesn't like it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

CORRECT... internships are often "extended" job interviews ... and can lead to permanent jobs... That happened to both of my engineering sons.   The company gets "to try them out" and see if they are capable and fit in ok"... I don't see any problem with asking about a dress code as an  individual but not organize or protest it beyond a simple question and let it go if the answer is no.  

At one time where I taught, we were "required" to wear a tie .... well some didn't... shop teachers... Chemistry/science ones often didn't (fire issue) .    If there is a reason to go against the guideline ... questioning it MIGHT make sense. 

On 7/1/2016 at 11:42 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

It's probably prejudiced, but we're a small business and simply don't hire anyone younger than 35. 

Yes, it is prejudiced. It is also age discrimination, so admitting it in a public forum is probably not wise. I would quote the rest of it, but it just seemed that I could easily sum it up by saying that young people are dumb and they complain too much. The funny part of this is that it is a dumb post complaining too much.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Hooters doesn't hire women 60 + to wait tables ... age discrimination.???  

Do women 60+ apply? Is age a stated requirement for the job? When you say "we don't hire people because of their age" it is discrimination based on age. If you require certain experience levels or pay in a certain way, you can cull out people of a certain age without explicitly stating it. 

Edited by forevereagle

5 hours ago, forevereagle said:

Yes, it is prejudiced. It is also age discrimination, so admitting it in a public forum is probably not wise. I would quote the rest of it, but it just seemed that I could easily sum it up by saying that young people are dumb and they complain too much. The funny part of this is that it is a dumb post complaining too much.

Yeah?  Except that ADEA only provides relief for workers 40 years and older being discriminated against due to age. 

So, show me the math where 35 is older than 40.

Also, ADEA would only apply if we had 20 or more employees.

Ooops...better go back and read the law.  Every law has thresholds.  We trip none of them, so....

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

The benefit of being a small business is that many of the federal and state employments laws do not apply to us:
-Title VII/Texas TLC Chapter 21, doesn't apply
-ADA, doesn't apply
-ADEA, doesn't apply
-COBRA, doesn't apply
-FMLA, doesn't apply

And, we don't have to file EEO-1 reports.

Plus, Texas is Right-To-Work.  So, on the other end of the discussion.... 

If, then, you are going to work for us, you are going to work for us (crazy as that sounds, right?  You get hired, you agree to work).  You aren't going to be starting petitions about clothing and shoes.

On 7/1/2016 at 4:28 PM, Ryan Munthe said:

I'll never understand why my generation has such a complaint with dress codes.

Be thankful dress codes; sounds like you are.

My first job was with a multinational which had an office in Dallas.  About a year and a half into it, they decided to let the American offices scrap the dress code. 

Within two years, they re-instituted it because people were basically showing up in what could be considered pajamas.  It was awful.

That was 1997-99.  So, the generation before you - ours, Generation X - also bitched about dress codes.  However, in the main, they are a good thing.

On 7/1/2016 at 0:41 PM, LongJim said:

It always irritated me when a guy I managed started complaining about his/her pay relative to a co-worker.  I always asked them something along the lines of:  "Was the $ figure you're paid disclosed to you when you signed on?  Yes?  And you found it fair and took the job?  Yes?  Then what is this discussion about?  Can you enlighten me?  Because I'm not sure what your co-worker's pay has to do with yours?"

This also.  If I hire you, and you agree to work for what was offered, don't act upset that someone else in the office is making more than you. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 7/1/2016 at 11:42 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

And with this ignorance you'll always stay a small business. Remind me again what business this is so I can make sure others won't frequent it?

• Downvote 2