Big day for W Kentucky!

I hope everyone at UNT is doing well and having a nice summer. After the HUGE day for your conference mate I thought I'd stop by your board to see the reaction but there's nothing?? 

W Kentucky landed 2017 5-star center Mitchell Robinson today. He's a top 20 player in the class. And W Kentucky got an invite to the 2017 Battle for Atlantis, SMU did as well. The eight schools are Arizona, Nova, NC St, Tennessee, Purdue, SMU, N Iowa and W Kentucky. This is huge for your conference because each school gets $2 million for participating. 

Anyway, great day for W Kentucky and a good day for C-USA. 

Sorry, I thought I was posting this on the bball board. I'm not sure how to move it.... 

Edited by MJavierSMU
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 12

11 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

I hope everyone at UNT is doing well and having a nice summer. After the HUGE day for your conference mate I thought I'd stop by your board to see the reaction but there's nothing?? 

W Kentucky landed 2017 5-star center Mitchell Robinson today. He's a top 20 player in the class. And W Kentucky got an invite to the 2017 Battle for Atlantis, SMU did as well. The eight schools are Arizona, Nova, NC St, Tennessee, Purdue, SMU, N Iowa and W Kentucky. This is huge for your conference because each school gets $2 million for participating. 

Anyway, great day for W Kentucky and a good day for C-USA. 

Sorry, I thought I was posting this on the bball board. I'm not sure how to move it.... 

It's interesting that the Battle For Atlantis folks would invite a team on probation for rules violation and coached by such a crook like Larry Brown. 

Rick

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

Is it the same farm my puppies went to?

I wasn't crazy about Stansbury as a hire but I thought he was by far the best of our options.  His conference winning percentage in the SEC really bothered me for as much talent as he had there and the fact he was in the West and not facing UK and Florida 2 times a year.  

And I really doubted he'd be able to recruit at the same level here at Western as he did previously.

This 5* was a perfect storm for him.  He'd recruited the kid to A&M.  When Stansbury left there Robinson decommitted.  Shammond Williams and the staff was let go at Tulane.  He's Robinson's godfather.  Stansbury hired Williams.  That's how he ended up here.

The staff was pretty sure they had Malik Newman until the Kansas visit.  Stansbury had been an assistant when Newman's dad played at Ms State.  I'll be honest.  I was leery of him.  He was a top 10 player out of high school but if you read the articles on his Ms State departure his father is a very involved parent.  I've coached a ton of youth sports and those guys can be nightmares.  That said Stansbury was willing to put up with that.  But I'm not sure there isn't some relief.  Again, not sour grapes by any means.  

We're supposedly in good on Galen Alexander a SF our of La that ranks in the 55-65 range depending on where you look.  Western hasn't had this level of players here since Clem Haskins was coach in the early to mid 80's.  Courtney Lee was a way under the radar player.

Our fans our giddy right now.  I'm more pleased with the Robinson commit than I would have been with Newman.  A 5* big is tougher to pull into a Western than a good shooting guard whose dad wants you to play at point.  I've been at a couple of occasions where Stansbury spoke.  He's a high charisma salesman.  I can see why he's a good recruiter.  Now let's see if he can coach.  Lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1