DRC: Littrell, UNT getting creative to fill out depleted roster

Brett Vito

49 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

A strong case could be made that the 2010 roster Dodge left for McCarney was much stronger than the 2015 roster McCarney left for Littrell. I guess we will see in September when we know how many starters are new to the program and how many came from Littrell's recruits and transfers. Every starter for McCarney's first game but 3 was either on the 2-deep for the first or last game of the 2010 season. The 3 being Cyril Lemon(true freshman), Andrew Power(juco), and Ryan Boutwell(redshirt freshman who saw time in 3 games as a true freshman but was never on the 2-deep). We already know the starting quarterback won't be from last year's 2-deep. How many other position will be the same?

Someone should find his AOL account and send him a tersely worded email so Margy can read it to him.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Here's a question I received from a fan -- does the depleted 68 scholarship number Littrell referenced count the freshman and transfers coming in the Fall?   

Littrell made it sound like it counted his incoming signing class.  It was not clear if it also included the 6 jucos added after signing day.

This is amazing if true because it would mean that we only had 45-50 scholarship players left on the roster before the incoming class.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think it's been clarified a few times that it does NOT include the incoming class.

I am not so sure.  If it did not include the incoming class then when you add the 25+ that have been discussed, we would be over the 85 total limit.  I am pretty sure it includes the incoming, but could be wrong.  I think it is possible he was using just a bit of woe-is-me'ing because it is hard to believe we would be that low after an incoming class, but I guess I shouldn't be shocked based on what we saw last year.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Someone should find his AOL account and send him a tersely worded email so Margy can read it to him.

Littrell made it sound like it counted his incoming signing class.  It was not clear if it also included the 6 jucos added after signing day.

This is amazing if true because it would mean that we only had 45-50 scholarship players left on the roster before the incoming class.

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think it's been clarified a few times that it does NOT include the incoming class.

19 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I am not so sure.  If it did not include the incoming class then when you add the 25+ that have been discussed, we would be over the 85 total limit.  I am pretty sure it includes the incoming, but could be wrong.  I think it is possible he was using just a bit of woe-is-me'ing because it is hard to believe we would be that low after an incoming class, but I guess I shouldn't be shocked based on what we saw last year.

“If we bring in our current class and the team that we have right now, we would have 68 scholarship players,” Littrell said Monday night. “That is about I-AA levels. The rest of the country has 85. We are going to have depth issues. You have to figure out ways to get guys in here who can provide depth and help win games now.”

I don't see any other way to read it except that we will have 68 players on scholarship September 1. Even if you add the 6, we are still only at 74 (11 below the standard).

• Upvote 1

This upcoming season will be about nothing else other than finding scholarship players for the next few seasons from the TX HS ranks and Jucos.

Our talent level and size are woeful. McCarney left this thing in a bigger hole than Dickey and Dodge did combined. It's gonna take years to dig out from, even if we were playing a crap CUSA schedule. We aren't. We get the three best CUSA East teams, plus the two teams we can compete with in CUSA West (UTEP and UTSA) are both on the road, where we rarely win. Getting to two wins will be very challenging, no matter what some others think on this website. 

This season, wins in the homes, fieldhouses, and locker rooms of recruits will be the victories we need to dig out of this mess by 2018. This year is the throw away, while next year should be about competing against fellow G5 programs. Then, 2018 should be when we should hope to be competing for a CUSA West Championship and a bow berth, especially when we get to play three teams in the CUSA East that are ODU, Charlotte, and the F_Us...

• Upvote 1

Way to have a little bit of success and then just give up, right when you knew UNT would still have to pay your sorry butt. Way to coach, recruit, give the effort you were expected, and develop young men Macarney (Sarcasm... Laid on thick).

2 hours ago, TheWestie said:

They're not bad, when compared to what we had at Fouts. 

Player lockers: 

unt3-legacy-lockers.jpg

Player lounge area:UNT-FB-Background.png

Weight room:

facilities-strength.jpg

Sports Medicine center:

9027996.jpeg

They were great and on the same level as Big Time power conference schools in 2004 when the Athletic Center was built. But, and it's a big but, that was 2004. Starting just a couple years later big power schools started to pour insane money into locker rooms, creating places that rivaled a lot of NFL facilities. 

Example: Here's Oklahoma's locker room a few years ago.

VHOIUXWJCJDTUTI.20130613103154.jpeg

And here's what the Sooners have now.

locker-room.jpeg

There's been a huge player facilities arms race the past few years, and we built locker rooms right before it started. We were looking at what bigger school had at the time, while those bigger schools were looking at Oregon, who kicked it all off with their Nike $$$.

Here are our peers:

Ponies

FBL_02.jpg

Houston

7969d6e9-534e-4dbf-8170-5e44db17fb32.jpg

Boise State

8194024.jpeg

Here's what Southern Mississippi is building

1215_BISP_BI%20HubComposite.jpg

LA Tech

latechweb03.jpg

Charlotte

53-09101-00_marquee-011.jpg?width=1158

ODU

VFOGNZFHUATEILS.20130606113139.jpeg

Tulsa (ok not too different from what we currently have)

sam_0330.jpg

FAU

100511_spt_fau_05.jpg

UTSA:

Here's what they have on campus at their football facility

And here's what they got installed in the Alamodome since they're now the primary tenant.

A5nCnqNCEAAJZSe.jpg

Western Kentucky

westernky4.jpg

And then there's how the other half live.

Texas A&M

HI-MACS_TexasAM_Marta_Gray,Ivory_White_B

Baylor

Baylor_McLane_Stadium_Locker_Room.JPG

Ohio State

OSU_LockerRoom_Interior08-projects.jpg

Oklahoma State 

ae95e758-3a9b-4553-aaca-6a2bf8607b21.jpg

Florida State went from this

locker-room03.jpg

To this

fsulockerroom1.jpg

So yeah what we have now was nice but not amazing when it was built and it looks impressive if you played high school football at Pilot Point, but is a turnoff for a lot of kids from bigger schools who will make recruiting decisions based on how much they feel a school will cater to their needs and make them feel special.

Yeah the locker area we have is a joke compared. Got to have fancy shit nowadays to recruit. 

• Upvote 4

Look like about the only difference is that the players individual cubes have cabinet doors on them, whereas ours don't.

So, have the AD give a junior associate the Company Visa, send HimHer down to Home Depot Lowe's and pick up enough board feet of lumber, hardware, and stain and be done with it. 

Here's another thing I've SaidComplained about for years about outwardly visible things like what does a thing look like to outsiders:

"Sh*t...this is a so-called 'Arts' school.  So, get some of the artsy kid from the north side of the campus to come down to the south side and do some artsy sh*t in the locker room, to the helmets, signs, and whatnot."

Give me one hour and five artsy students we'll have to lockerroom looking ship shape by the end of July.

93c.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

On 6/28/2016 at 11:37 PM, BillySee58 said:

I count 54 scholarship players currently on the official roster, and 19 more 2016 players who have signed or committed. So that means there are about 5 players leaving or not going to make it in.

I'm assuming that your already taken into account that someone like Sir Wallace already left? and possibly Ivery as well?

Also, Has anyone heard about William Johnson or Cody Hayes, and if they will be here in the fall?(I haven't heard or seen anything, nor could I find them on social media.)

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Harry said:

Very informative @TheWestie

Sort of depressing though.  I had thought we were in pretty good shape on the locker room and facilities.  It is very apparent from your pictures we are not.

I was shocked to hear both Trip Keune and Sicuro both express shock in how far behind UNT was with the exception of Apogee. 

Funny how you view yourself as compared to how outsiders view you. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

I'm assuming that your already taken into account that someone like Sir Wallace already left? and possibly Ivery as well?

Also, Has anyone heard about William Johnson or Cody Hayes, and if they will be here in the fall?(I haven't heard or seen anything, nor could I find them on social media.)

I counted who is still on the official roster. Wallace is not, Ivery still is

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Alabama's don't look radically different than ours, and they're winning championships pretty regularly. 

Are we putting kids on scholarship to sit around the lockerroom and wank, or to play football?

They're not all dramatically different because they're rectangular lockers. But the design, quality, lighting, size, and presentation are much different.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Aldo said:

They're not all dramatically different because they're rectangular lockers. But the design, quality, lighting, size, and presentation are much different.

The overall appearance difference is dramatic though.  Notice how the best ones have incorporated the logo prominently in the ceiling with neon etc.. There is a theme in the nicer ones our doesn't currently have.  

9 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Alabama's don't look radically different than ours, and they're winning championships pretty regularly. 

13179152-standard.jpg

Are we putting kids on scholarship to sit around the lockerroom and wank, or to play football?

Except for the $100 bills on the inside of the lockers. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

13179152-standard.jpg

Those are just the actual "lockers" brochaco.

THIS is the whole place.

gLqwg5S.jpg

7249774-630x352.jpeg

Lounge area 

alabama-locker-room-11.jpg

Spa area

171905-0-600.jpg

Another player lounge

13179142-standard.jpg

Full Team meeting room

BQl4FirCYAAJ-m0.jpg

Sports Med hot tubs

9111318.jpeg

Sports Med area with branding everywhere

9293581.jpeg

Wide Receivers meeting room1010797.jpg

So I mean that's Bama, and I don't expect us to be anywhere near matching them because that's insane. I didn't look up any numbers for what all this insanity cost them but I know A&M spent like over $200 Million on their new football center, I'm sure all of it from donors. We had to spend months a while back trying to rub enough pennies together to get $3 million to renovate the Super Pit.

But a lot of places that we have/should/ought to be recruiting against DO make attempts to move towards that and that puts us at a recruiting disadvantage. These are 17/18 year old dudes after all. I knew football players in high school who decided on a college because of their school colors  matched our high school's and they wouldn't have to buy new clothes. 

• Upvote 6