Roster changes?

With all of the additions post signing day, I am coming to the board for a little education.

I have seen the blue shirt term used, but not sure what it is.

Every time we add someone, the question pops up about who didn't get their grades from the original signing class, or not showing up for some other reason. For those keeping a close count, is it possible that new coaches are purging some of last year's roster to accommodate the late adds? Can coaches divide scholarships and have more players on at half scholarship?

Thanks for the help.

GMG

13 minutes ago, Graddean said:

I don't think partial scholarships are allowed in D1 football.

Correct

5 hours ago, untcampbell said:

With all of the additions post signing day, I am coming to the board for a little education.

I have seen the blue shirt term used, but not sure what it is.

Every time we add someone, the question pops up about who didn't get their grades from the original signing class, or not showing up for some other reason. For those keeping a close count, is it possible that new coaches are purging some of last year's roster to accommodate the late adds? Can coaches divide scholarships and have more players on at half scholarship?

Thanks for the help.

GMG

Blueshirts means a player comes in as a walkon but is put on scholarship pretty much immediately, never having to pay for any school. The catch is they can't have come in on an official visit, paid for by the school, at any point, or been officially introduced by the school as a signee.

59 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Now say if we were to remove or dismiss someone like Means or someone else, that opens up a scholarship.. Can that be added to a class so we have more then 25 players? Or is the limit 25 per class then blue-shirts would be rolled into the following year?

If i understand correctly, when a scholly opens up, you can't count it for this year but you can put a walk-on (read blueshirt) on that scholly and it will count against next years class. 

10 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Now with this being done.. Say we dismiss someone or someone leaves the team like Kirby, the center... That opens up a scholarship for us... Now does that mean we could go and fill that slot with a 2016 scholarship or would it count towards 2017 at this point? 

You get 85 scholarships for your team and 25 scholarships per class. Scholarship players leaving does not allow you more than 25 spots in a class.

You get a max of 25 per recruiting class, up to a maximum of 85 total players on scholarship at a given time.  As you have seen with the 2016 class, there are some strategies, such as blue shirting, that can give the appearance of adding more than 25 scholarships in a given year.  There are also ways to bring in a recruit for the current season, but on paper make the new signee count toward the last recruiting class.  Some of the rules have been outlined.

The primary thing to keep in mind is that you get a max of 25 signed players per recruiting class and you cannot go over 85 total scholarship players at any given time.  

It the examples listed above, if a player that was recruited during the last recruiting class leaves, such as Kirby, then the players departure counts as part of the 85 total scholarships available, but we would not get 'extra' (i.e. more than 25) available scholarships for the current recruiting class.  Please note that 25 * 4 (or even 5) is greater than the total 85 scholarship limit.  You cannot recruit 25 players each and every recruiting year without  some players leaving the program.  The yearly limit of 25 and the total limit of 85 work in conjunction to limit the total number of players on a school's roster.

• Upvote 1

As stated in Vito's article, we had 19 sign on National Signing Day and have brought in 7 Juco's since then, Hoston, Wyche, Jenkins, O'Hara, Peters, Jackson and Thomas.  I am guessing one of these will blue shirt since that would bring our class total to 26.  Either that, or someone that signed earlier is not qualifying.

• Upvote 1