MGB: UNT adds late 16 WR Quinetin Jackson

I like all those late additions. looks like they are all good players ... but I am starting to wonder how we got enough schollies for all those folks and to think that there are so many Jucos now, I start to be worried that UNT will be suuper young two seasons down the road when SL should be hitting his stride.

• Upvote 2

It's risky recruiting, especially with kids who couldn't get their grade S together enough to be fall grads, which they know EVERY program wants.

I hope that these kids are talented, but I fear they don't keep it together in the classroom, causing them to leave the program and causing UNT's APR to take major hit.

Its a gamble. Littrell could win big or lose big. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, outoftown said:

I like all those late additions. looks like they are all good players ... but I am starting to wonder how we got enough schollies for all those folks and to think that there are so many Jucos now, I start to be worried that UNT will be suuper young two seasons down the road when SL should be hitting his stride.

You have to show to can win to recruit the best high school players.  This is a necessary step due to the mess Mac had us in as well as the changes to the offense and defensive scheme.

And let me say  this in general terms regarding the juco's.  Just like high school players, some will hit and some will not.  I am primarily concerned with all of them getting eligible and making it to the field.  What I am excited about is these guys are players -- they are going to help us on the field pretty quickly which is what we need.  I also love that this staff can identify AND land talent.  The old staff seemed to do the first part but couldn't typically close.  Think about what things will look like after we win a few games and can sell the upward trajectory of the program again.

1 minute ago, Travis said:

This juco route really concerns me. 

I hear you. I think this is a balls-to-the-wall strategy to produce a winner ASAP. It is a gamble. IMO, we will return to the conventional, long-term approach starting with the next recruiting class. I think we will always be in the market for quality JUCOs to fill immediate needs but the number per class should taper off starting next year. JMHO.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, THOR said:

Winning is what concerns me...don't care how they do it, as long as it's done...jucos...late qualifiers...hs players...don't care...just win and win legally. ..do not cut corners or break the rules

Amen.  Don't cheat.  Just win.... and then win some more.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

A whole whole whole lot of JUCOs...

Also, maybe @BillySee58 can tell us where all these schollies are coming from?

What I can tell you is you get 25 scholarships a class, unless you signed less than 25 the class before in which case you can back count that many. We introduced 19 on signing day. We've received five 2016 commitments since, which brings our total up to 24. Makes sense, in theory.

The uncertainty stems from Littrell stating that we had just one or two (can't remember) scholarships left available for the class after signing day. My theory on that goes back to the 2015 class. We were able to sign a full class despite having four walkons put on scholarship prior to spending two seasons at UNT as walkons.

Such players took up four scholarships in the 2014 class (Buyers, Kirby, Caldwell, Macek), so theoretically four more should've taken up spots in 2015 (Wade, Flusche, Keena, and Banogu). But they didn't and we signed a full 25 of just high school and JUCOs.

My next theory was that those spots were deferred to the 2016 class, and those walkons that should've counted towards the 2016 class would be deferred to the 2017 class (Sam Rice and Daniel Khan). I'm not 100% sure how the walkon rule works, or if it has changed and I am not motivated enough to do the research on it.

JayD also pointed out that these players may be blueshirts, and as long as they never took an official visit they would qualify since I don't think the school has formally introduced them. Just means they would technically come in as walkons but get put on scholarship right away.

Edited by BillySee58