What does Benford need to stay at UNT?

What does Benford need to stay at UNT?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What does Benford need in the 2016-17 season to get his contract renewed?

• 20+ wins, win conference, make it to the NCAA Tourney
    • 20+ wins, multiple conference tourney wins, make it to the NIT or other postseason tourney (Vegas 16?)
    • 20+ wins and conference tourney win
    • 20 wins
    • .500 record and advance to first round of conference tourney
    • He'll get renewed either way
    • He can't do anything. We just didn't want to fire all of our coaches in the same year

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

potentially best team in NT history???

How can that possibly be with a very large hole in the middle? (that wasn't addressed this off-season) Brice can't stay on the court for more than 18-20 minutes. The Temara kid is not a replacement for Eric Katenda in the middle.

This team should be entertaining but I don't see much more than 18 wins. A good number of schools also returns a nucleus as well. 18 wins may get Benford a 2 year deal based on how competitive this team is and what the attendance looks like. He's either not renewed or given 2 years. He also will not be released prior to the 2nd semester before Keith Frazier and Ryan Woolridge are eligible.

Potentially best team in NT history refers to the Mitchell team he inherited. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I am not sure how you came to that conclusion.  However, he is not going to be as emotional involved with the past as the present which benefits Benford.  

I read what you said. You said that his prior years wouldn't be as important to a new AD.

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

His last four lamentable years are now not nearly as important.   

The new AD is not likely to care about him messing up the potentially best team in NT history, and the sharp decline in attendance because of that.  

I would hope that a new AD would take a look at his overall record, attendance numbers over his time, record prior, and attendance prior to gain full context over his time here. I don't see how a good year could save him at this point, only a great year could do that. If a new AD looks at an 18 win season and thinks that is good enough to keep a coach that has never put together a winning season prior, then we may have made the wrong hire.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Benford needs a great season to remain.

Huge props to 90 for having the stones to place Benford squarely on the spot in front of everyone last week.  Benford's response to that question and other resulting comments tells me he KNOWS he has to have a great season to remain here.

There's no way.....NO WAY the new AD comes in without being fully aware of the previous 4 seasons and have a minimum level of expectation for the upcoming season. 

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4