'17 QB Cade Pearson (Texas High) [LOI: NT]

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Following recruiting is one of my favorite parts of college sports. How do I learn what i'm looking for out of footwork, throwing motions, etc. I know sometimes at the next level it's mechanics that really get people in trouble and I want to be able to evaluate beyond: "oooh nice throw". Any pointers?

• Upvote 2

Have any of you guys watch #9 the WR HUDL?? Tevalilance Hunt

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6635788/581f9be890f99307888be710

The kids HUDL says he is 6'2 and 180 lbs with 4.48 40...

Kid gets a ton of YAC and makes people miss... UNT should be all over this kid I think. Also, he creates a lot of separation as well which is something that we need at WR

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

Following recruiting is one of my favorite parts of college sports. How do I learn what i'm looking for out of footwork, throwing motions, etc. I know sometimes at the next level it's mechanics that really get people in trouble and I want to be able to evaluate beyond: "oooh nice throw". Any pointers?

Same

On December 2, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Caw Caw said:

The first two things I'm looking for in a QB's film is arm strength and throwing motion. So many times I see people posting about QBs with great stats but no offers, and wondering why we or other schools aren't offering. If they're at least 6' tall, it's almost undoubtedly because they have an ugly throwing motion and/or inadequate arm strength.

Here's why throwing motion matters. With a football, if you can't consistently throw a tight spiral, that severely hurts accuracy. It is so much harder to throw a football accurately if it comes out wobbly (even just a little) than as a spiral, and if you can't throw accurately you have no shot. That's what killed Tebow. It's hard to consistently throw darts when you whip the ball down by your waist every time you throw.

If they have adequate size, throwing motion, and arm strength then they have D1 capabilities. Once that has been established I start looking for more advanced skills. Throws to wide open receivers or receivers facing the QB when the ball is thrown doesn't show me anything. Those plays might as well not be on the tape IMO.

I look for patience and feel in the pocket. Scrambling every other play on the tape is not a good look IMO, especially if the scrambling is premature. With throws I want to see the QB hitting the open windows in the zone, hitting receivers before they get out of their break, and, most impressively, throwing the ball in a spot where the adjustment the receiver has to make on the ball helps give them extra separation from the DB that they were not getting from just running the route alone. Also referred to as throwing a receiver open.

Those skills in that last paragraph are what translate to the next level and separate QBs who have similar capabilities.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

The first two things I'm looking for in a QB's film is arm strength and throwing motion. So many times I see people posting about QBs with great stats but no offers, and wondering why we or other schools aren't offering. If they're at least 6' tall, it's almost undoubtedly because they have an ugly throwing motion and/or inadequate arm strength.

Here's why throwing motion matters. With a football, if you can't consistently throw a tight spiral, that severely hurts accuracy. It is so much harder to throw a football accurately if it comes out wobbly (even just a little) than as a spiral, and if you can't throw accurately you have no shot. That's what killed Tebow. It's hard to consistently throw darts when you whip the ball down by your waist every time you throw.

If they have adequate size, throwing motion, and arm strength then they have D1 capabilities. Once that has been established I start looking for more advanced skills. Throws to wide open receivers or receivers facing the QB when the ball is thrown doesn't show me anything. Those plays might as well not be on the tape IMO.

I look for patience and feel in the pocket. Scrambling every other play on the tape is not a good look IMO, especially if the scrambling is premature. With throws I want to see the QB hitting the open windows in the zone, hitting receivers before they get out of their break, and, most impressively, throwing the ball in a spot where the adjustment the receiver has to make on the ball helps give them extra separation from the DB that they were not getting from just running the route alone. Also referred to as throwing a receiver open.

Those skills in that last paragraph are what translate to the next level and separate QBs who have similar capabilities.

Thank you so much for the primer. I really do appreciate it. We all appreciate your expertise here. GMG

• Upvote 6

On 12/2/2016 at 10:22 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Have any of you guys watch #9 the WR HUDL?? Tevalilance Hunt

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6635788/581f9be890f99307888be710

The kids HUDL says he is 6'2 and 180 lbs with 4.48 40...

Kid gets a ton of YAC and makes people miss... UNT should be all over this kid I think. Also, he creates a lot of separation as well which is something that we need at WR

Impressive film.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 10:09 AM, Caw Caw said:

sorry about the late post but I first learned by watching other scouts, um, scout players. One guy I enjoy watching talk about football, mechanics, talent, etc is Matt Waldman. Another guy I like is Joe Holka.

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Any chance Pearson, or any other recruit, will graduate early and enroll this spring?

You'd hear about it soon If so.  Coach bro at tech has 6 JUCO mid term guy and 7 HS kids that's crazy impressive

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Cade has signed with UNT he will be here in the spring. Makes QB race exciting with him mason and Devlin  healthy going head to head

You mean as a grayshirt? That would be amazing. Going into a full spring with three competent QB's competing? Should be fun to watch

• Upvote 6

https://twitter.com/The_ChazDavis/status/818881499386748928

26 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

You mean as a grayshirt? That would be amazing. Going into a full spring with three competent QB's competing? Should be fun to watch

Grayshirting is when a recruit graduates in the spring, then delays starting their eligibility counter by not enrolling full-time that fall. This is just an early enrollment, like Connor Means and Brandin Byrd.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

https://twitter.com/The_ChazDavis/status/818881499386748928

Grayshirting is when a recruit graduates in the spring, then delays starting their eligibility counter by not enrolling full-time that fall. This is just an early enrollment, like Connor Means and Brandin Byrd.

It would appear that he is bringing sand to the beach

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1