'19 QB Will Kuehne (Owasso)

49 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I have coached & taught this kid!!

He is a great kid would absolutely love to have him!!

Good! insider info? Comparable to Starkel? I thought I saw him at 7 on 7 but wanted to make sure this was who I was watching. 

• Upvote 1

Staff is doing some serious projecting with this offer.  

Kid played Freshman/JV ball last year.  He is likely the backup QB this year, to a kid that will only be a Junior.  The C/O 2018 kid that he is behind started as a freshman when Starkel got hurt in 2014 then was the team's leading WR as a sophomore in 2015.  Moved back to QB in spring.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, MeanGreen1984 said:

Staff is doing some serious projecting with this offer.  

Kid played Freshman/JV ball last year.  He is likely the backup QB this year, to a kid that will only be a Junior.  The C/O 2018 kid that he is behind started as a freshman when Starkel got hurt in 2014 then was the team's leading WR as a sophomore in 2015.  Moved back to QB in spring.

Good background...Sounds like the Liberty staff needs to figure out a way to get both of these kids on the field.

One would think that Littrell and staff have seen enough of Kuehne to project this one.

• Upvote 1

It's a necessary move from the coaching staff. Plus it he becomes a hit and choses to come here it works out in our favor. If he comes here regardless of whether or not he's a hit, it might open up a pipeline to other liberty prospects.

If he does come here though and does become a big prospect, can we be found guilty of anything illegal regarding recruiting since his grandfather donates to the athletic department and school?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's a necessary move from the coaching staff. Plus it he becomes a hit and choses to come here it works out in our favor. If he comes here regardless of whether or not he's a hit, it might open up a pipeline to other liberty prospects.

If he does come here though and does become a big prospect, can we be found guilty of anything illegal regarding recruiting since his grandfather donates to the athletic department and school?

Couple of responses;

1- With the current head coach at Liberty and how quickly he has destroyed that program a Liberty pipeline isn't gonna yield enough to be worth a throwaway scholarship.

2- I would love to see the NCAA punish for improper benefits BY THE RECRUIT just for the comedy that would come with it

3- This is absolutely an offer to keep the right people happy.  The kid has some real arm talent, but is FAR from a college prospect...even projecting at this point.  But, could get lucky and have him improve a ton and become a real option at QB, or, worst case scenario you get a scout team QB for a few years.  Either way, you keep a big check writer happy and engaged with the program.  Nice political move by Littrell and staff.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 7

He may be a good player, but this smells like we are doing a solid for Grandpa Big Bucks. Getting a FBS offer is prestigious to his grandson among his peers, puts pressure on Liberty coaches to play him if there is a QB controversy (which it sounds like) and puts the kid on the radar of every other school that recruits Texas. Grandpa Big Bucks has been a great supporter of UNT football and offering this kid a scholarship as a form of gratitude is a smart move and I support it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

The North Texas good ol' boy system is alive and well.

This was probably RV's last act as AD. Doing his enabler a solid by giving his grandson a scholarship that he probably doesn't deserve at this point.

RV has to thank Ernie somehow for letting him stay as AD for so long.

• Downvote 10

34 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

This was probably RV's last act as AD. Doing his enabler a solid by giving his grandson a scholarship that he probably doesn't deserve at this point.

There is a lot to be upset about RV, but this is an assinine statement.  Yes, it is good business to offer Kuehne's grandson, but being a distant aquaintance of their family and knowing how driven his kids weremto excel, I am sure he expects Will to earn this offer.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Do you know the head coach?

Graduated from UNT in '84, right around the time Liberty started up.  My association with Liberty started 8 years later in '92 and has continued in some form or another since then...even though I'm MUCH less involved now.  I've seen the majority of Liberty's years and have never seen someone in a position of leadership there lead as poorly as the current HC.  My thoughts are echoed by most people I still talk with there.  

You obviously have some association with Liberty as well.  So I apologize if you're a fan of the man.  All I have to go off of is my interactions with him and those around him and what I hear from those that are still closer to the program.  

They went from from a legend in Mark Bowles, to an outstanding man (and UNT letterman) in Greg Price.  The quality of the program has nosedived since moving from Greg Price to this guy.  

• Upvote 1

Is he in line as a sophomore to take Starkel's place?  If so, he must be good.   I imagine there is some goodwill to Ernie involved, but if he's a starting QB at LCS as a Sophomore, he'll only get better and better over the next few seasons.  Then, if Littrell is even here, he can say he was the first to see Will's potential and hopefully rope him in.

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Is he in line as a sophomore to take Starkel's place?  If so, he must be good.   I imagine there is some goodwill to Ernie involved, but if he's a starting QB at LCS as a Sophomore, he'll only get better and better over the next few seasons.  Then, if Littrell is even here, he can say he was the first to see Will's potential and hopefully rope him in.

From reading @MeanGreen1984's post, and he knows that school well, he likely won't start at Liberty Christian until his senior year.

6 hours ago, MeanGreen1984 said:

Graduated from UNT in '84, right around the time Liberty started up.  My association with Liberty started 8 years later in '92 and has continued in some form or another since then...even though I'm MUCH less involved now.  I've seen the majority of Liberty's years and have never seen someone in a position of leadership there lead as poorly as the current HC.  My thoughts are echoed by most people I still talk with there.  

You obviously have some association with Liberty as well.  So I apologize if you're a fan of the man.  All I have to go off of is my interactions with him and those around him and what I hear from those that are still closer to the program.  

They went from from a legend in Mark Bowles, to an outstanding man (and UNT letterman) in Greg Price.  The quality of the program has nosedived since moving from Greg Price to this guy.  

Thank you for a response that isn't completely negative or attempting to be argumentative.  That is missing alot on this website. 

Our association with the school started around the same time thats interesting!

I coached with all of the men you mentioned above.  Liberty is not the same Liberty that it once was.  Money has corrupted the work ethic of the youth.

They have so much money and their private coaches tell them they are so good.  if you pay me that much i will say you are good as well LOL 

Liberty has been on the decline now for around 5 years.  The current coach is holding these kids accountable and the numbers are dwindling.  Their offensive line could be competitive in 7on7 that's how small they are.

9 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

If you know Littrell and his staff at all, this group is the opposite of "good ole boy system". They are clearly offering Kuehne on projection, and I have heard nothing other than "this kids going to be the real deal". 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/4/2016 at 9:05 AM, GMG24 said:

Good! insider info? Comparable to Starkel? I thought I saw him at 7 on 7 but wanted to make sure this was who I was watching. 

Far more athletic than Starkel.  Kid can move well.  Not sure he is as football smart as Starkel but he is no slouch either.  The next couple of years will be interesting.

That smaller older QB that was moved to WR needs to stay put at WR.  Having both him and Wil on the field at the same time will make Liberty more dynamic.  His father wants him to be a QB so bad but he is maybe 5'9 and has hands and can move.  Slot receiver is his home.

• Upvote 1