ESPN Losing More Viewers

According to 2016 Nielsen data ESPN lost over 1.5 million subscribers from February to the end of May this year. That drops ESPN to 89,465,000 subscriber homes, a precipitous decline from the network's total number of 2013 subscribers which was over 99 million. Based on these numbers over the past four months ESPN lost an average of 10,400 subscribers a day.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...tes-052816

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

A market correction is long in coming for cable tv in general.  The rise in cost has never been supported by demand.  No one was demanding the LHN yet ESPN and cable providers saw fit to jam it down the throat of every basic level sports package customer.  The Big 12 letting the LHN be created was their death nail as full fledge P5 conference long term without any major changes.  I would have happily paid for a Big 12 network for the old line up of schools.  Hopefully realignment will come full circle and become more regional.  Conferences larger than 12 just hold less interest to me because the journey to get a champion is convoluted.   Watching the 30 for 30 about Colorado's former coach just reminded me of the good ole days.  You can't throw an Orange on the field of your opponent in the regular season finale because you have to play a Championship game to determine your bowl berth.  I think I recall people throwing string of beads one the times the Dickey coached Mean Green clinched a New Orleans bowl berth.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4

I cut the cord a long time ago and am technically not a "subscriber" of ESPN.  However, it's pretty easy to gain access to their content with technology nowadays.  And while I don't watch it nearly as much as I used to, I still have no problems consuming ESPN's content.

• Upvote 2

To the title of this post:

Good.

They do everything to create a culture that encourages wanton NCAA violations and worse (see: Baylor), and then turn around and feign indignation when the beast they created does beastly things. 

F 'em.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4