MGB: Key questions UNT's new AD will face Part II -- Find a way to build support

Brett Vito

Part of it can be attributed to the fact we won ONE? game.... and a lot people I know were disgusted with the effort shown on the field as well..

Both of those do not help contributions to the football program...  Why care when the players don't seem to. .....  

Hopefully things will be much better this year..... wins and player effort as perceived. .  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

mJCy5bw.png

Do I expect us to raise as much money as UT or aTm?  Course not.  

Do I expect TexSt to almost double us up and for UTSA to raise over FOUR TIMES as much as us?  NO!

I'll keep saying it:  The new AD has to be able to get the MGC numbers up.   I know he should spend time on the big donors and big picture, but getting these numbers up has to be a top priority for one of his most trusted and competent employees.  

Who is the guy currently responsible for this within the AD?

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

MGB: UNT has plenty of room to grow in terms of home attendance numbers and donation figures 

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/05/key-questions-unts-new-ad-will-face-part-ii-how-can-the-school-expand-its-fan-base.html/

Attendence? 1. Win and be competitive 2. Facilities are great but do more to bring the average fan in. Give tickets away to special groups, first responders, military, and so on. Have them sit in the wing zone! Denton is a music scene concerts after the games! Contest during the games! U start winning and start filling u will start making JACk!  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Attendence? 1. Win and be competitive 2. Facilities are great but do more to bring the average fan in. Give tickets away to special groups, first responders, military, and so on. Have them sit in the wing zone! Denton is a music scene concerts after the games! Contest during the games! U start winning and start filling u will start making JACk!  

Start winning consistently and start providing excellent customer service to all levels of event attendees and all levels of giving. 

I don't see where UNT should be turning people away or off. I'm hopeful this aspect is among the first to change in the new AD.

I still believe there's a ton of potential here and with the right combination of on and off the field effort/results that potential can start being realized.

• Upvote 1

You are correct sir! The answer is not just to milk money out of more people and throw it at the problem. The answer is for the Department to pay serious attention to customer administration and promotion of the athletic product, while the coaching staff gives them a product they can promote. When people see this on a consistent basis, the milk will flow from many more contributors without having to pull so hard on those teats. That's just my opinion and I believe it will start to happen this year if the right person is hired as AD. It all begins there.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Giving away tickets does little to nothing to help bring in new dollars. It sounds really cool but the return on investment numbers are really low.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Giving away tickets does little to nothing to help bring in new dollars. It sounds really cool but the return on investment numbers are really low.

Wait.  What investment?  How much does it cost to give out a few thousand tickets for an otherwise completely empty wingzone?  The price of printing and maybe a couple yellowjackets to keep the wingzone peasants in their place?

• Upvote 7

Just now, oldguystudent said:

Wait.  What investment?  How much does it cost to give out a few thousand tickets for an otherwise completely empty wingzone?  The price of printing and maybe a couple yellowjackets to keep the wingzone peasants in their place?

Well, giving tickets away that you could have otherwise sold is an investment of sorts. At the very least you are giving up revenue.

Still, even with the ticket give-away I doubt you get much "turnover" where those people buy tickets to a future FB game.

Just now, untjim1995 said:

It beats the hell out of empty seats for a ROI...

Perhaps but odds are pretty good that few if any of those people return to actually buy tickets.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

Well, giving tickets away that you could have otherwise sold is an investment of sorts. At the very least you are giving up revenue.

Still, even with the ticket give-away I doubt you get much "turnover" where those people buy tickets to a future FB game.

Perhaps but odds are pretty good that few if any of those people return to actually buy tickets.

How can you possibly know this? It's never been tried before...

• Upvote 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

How can you possibly know this? It's never been tried before...

DISD days for basketball. I doubt that the school district pays for those tickets!

It's cool seeing all those screaming kids but I bet few of them actually manage to get their parents to return for another game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

There are bunch of promo s you could have for the wing. Veterans night, City Iof Denton Employee night, first responders night. They would buy concessions! They would see the tailgate! Give them discounted ticket packages for future games. Get butts in the seats and introduce UNT to people that would otherwise never come! You want to generate revenue and donations fill the stadium! You want to when recruiting battles fill the stadium! ( Which SMU has never done)  Make it very very social media friendly, have photo ops that encourage people to post!

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

DISD days for basketball. I doubt that the school district pays for those tickets!

It's cool seeing all those screaming kids but I bet few of them actually manage to get their parents to return for another game.

I see two issues with that theory.

1. Those games appear to be nothing more than an attendance booster.

2. By only having the kids and not the $$ decision makers at the game it's going be tough to parents to come "back".

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

10 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Those tix are paid for by sponsors and given to groups like communities in schools who take kids to these games to give the students they serve something fun to do. They also give the kids conessions dollars to spend.

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

There are bunch of promo s you could have for the wing. Veterans night, City Iof Denton Employee night, first responders night. They would buy concessions! They would see the tailgate! Give them discounted ticket packages for future games. Get butts in the seats and introduce UNT to people that would otherwise never come! You want to generate revenue and donations fill the stadium! You want to when recruiting battles fill the stadium! ( Which SMU has never done)  Make it very very social media friendly, have photo ops that encourage people to post!

It seems so simple, Why dind't the AD think of that before? Oh wait they have. It's has been done. For years actually. For example, "military appreciation night" last year, faculty and staff appreciation night, there was also a DAYFL game and A CIS game also happened, that was just last season. And they all were paid for by sponsors at a discount so they dind't even have to lose money completely. At some point people who have been given those tickets have to use them. Just because the wing didn't get filled doesn't mean tickets weren't given away. I've said this in another thread. Things may not always be as you perseive them to be. Just because you didn't know about it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 6

9 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I say fill up The Wing any way you can fill it up. Free tickets may not bring a lot of them back as paying customers, but a full Wing can help improve the overall game experience environment for those who actually pay, and it might help influence those paying customers to return with friends for future games. That empty Wing is depressing and looks bush league both in person and on TV. Not to mention that a nice loud crowd can help increase our odds of winning close games. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The running of our athletic department has been so pathetic.  The first thing we have to do is win, beginning this season. Consistently win.  Winning seasons in football, every year.  Bowl wins.  Forget the obvious promotions for a while.  

Face it, we are in the bowels of the football toilet.  Raising money  will not come easy until we have consistent winning.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

I see two issues with that theory.

1. Those games appear to be nothing more than an attendance booster.

2. By only having the kids and not the $$ decision makers at the game it's going be tough to parents to come "back".

Isn't that what ticket give-aways are -- attendance boosters?

I got some free tickets to see the semi-pro hockey team up in Allen (who is actually good) for I think their final game of the regular season. I never went despite having the tickets.

Being financially "invested" in something makes people more serious about attending a game. Offer promotions and whatnot to get people to attend but just giving tickets away is not the best way to get people coming back game after game. It sounds cool and easy but you're just taking value away from the program as people will come to expect to not have to pay anything to attend a game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I got some free tickets to see the semi-pro hockey team up in Allen (who is actually good) for I think their final game of the regular season. I never went despite having the tickets.

Being financially "invested" in something makes people more serious about attending a game. Offer promotions and whatnot to get people to attend but just giving tickets away is not the best way to get people coming back game after game. It sounds cool and easy but you're just taking value away from the program as people will come to expect to not have to pay anything to attend a game.

I agree with this post! IMO, nothing more discounted than a BOGO or kids under 12 free when accompanied by an adult...and I don't mean Mr. Murphy's fourth grade class accompanied by Mr. Murphy.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Ah, but you picked the annual noon on a work/school day game to make your point. The game is deliberately set at a time nearly all "regular" fans can't make. Those games are always against some patsy and "draw" 4K.

A giveaway to a more attractive game where the giveaway reaches actual decision makers isn't the same thing as DISD day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1