Breaking News! UNT gets 2nd 2017 Commit

5 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

So this maybe a difficult question to answer, but how does this kid compare to past guys we have brought in on the OL? Middle of the pack? Better then Avg.? And what should  expections be from us, for him?

He looks like a good player but time will tell.  How hard he works out in the off season conditioning will play a part.  You usually like to redshirt O-linemen but he could be a guy that could help us right away.  Just great to have him on board.  I think he and his family will really enjoy North Texas and this new staff.  Great location and education.  Program on the rise under Littrell.

22 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

And three stars is always a good bench mark for us. Had fewer of those lately than you think.

Over half, 13 of the 24 signees in Mccarney's last class (2015), were rated as 3-stars by at least one recruiting service. 

1 hour ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

So this maybe a difficult question to answer, but how does this kid compare to past guys we have brought in on the OL? Middle of the pack? Better then Avg.? And what should  expections be from us, for him?

About avg to slightly above compared to Mccarney's O-line signees' offer lists. Probably on par with Trussell's offer list (New Mexico, ULM, SMU), and behind the offer lists of Jordan Murray, Creighton Barr, Boone Feldt, Cyril Lemon, and Chris Miles.

Not quite on par with the only high school o-lineman Littrell has signed in Chandler Anthony. Better offer list than Micah Thompson, Grant Shaw, Travis Ellard, Ryan Rentfro, Sorge, Walker, Nelson, Fortenberry, Munden, and Woodworth.

Hopefully this is at least the average offer list/prospect of our o-linemen commits/signees going forward. Solid.

• Upvote 2

From his video, he seems like a kid that just puts uses his weight to his advantage vs smaller defenders.. But I do like how mobile he is, and that he seems that has the ability to play multiple positions. The ability to play multiple positions, I believe is something that is overlooked with OL. Even if he is someone that is an avg. starter but can play all 5 positions, that's a huge help to us.. Also, it's great to go into places where UTSA, Rice, and these few other mid-major programs go to look. 

13 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Over half, 13 of the 24 signees in Mccarney's last class (2015), were rated as 3-stars by at least one recruiting service. 

Maybe i'm wrong here, and you would know better than I. But shouldn't that be our baseline? Mostly three star guys with a few offers, the rare lucky 4 star kid and a couple of chances on the undersized, underranked monster athlete?

8 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

Maybe i'm wrong here, and you would know better than I. But shouldn't that be our baseline? Mostly three star guys with a few offers, the rare lucky 4 star kid and a couple of chances on the undersized, underranked monster athlete?

The thing about the term "3-star" is that it's very broad and ambiguous. For one, there are four major recruiting services. One guy can like a kid's film and boom, he's a 3-star. Also, some 3-stars have offers from schools like Alabama and Florida State, while some have little or no offers.

Also, since we don't have subsites through the major recruiting sites, the analysts have no incentive to re-evaluate the kids we go after. In short, the majority of kids we recruit are evaluated so sporadically, they just don't end up being rated on anywhere near equal terms. 

Thats why I look at offer lists. Our recruits are evaluated seriously and consistently by college coaches, so they are good indicators of what kind of a prospect a kid is. 

Where I want us to be is, if we sign 20 high school kids, for about 2-4 to be sleepers with none or one other FBS offer, about about 6-10 with two to four other FBS offers, about 6-8 with five to nine other FBS offers, and about 3-4 with 10+ other FBS offers. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Where I want us to be is, if we sign 20 high school kids, for about 2-4 to be sleepers with none or one other FBS offer, about about 6-10 with two to four other FBS offers, about 6-8 with five to nine other FBS offers, and about 3-4 with 10+ other FBS offers. 

@BillySee58 how long do you think it will take UNT to get on this level?  I am thinking 5+ years that last requirement will be the one that kills us and wont happen for the longest obviously.

If we roll in Juco players and compare their offer lists coming out of high school it might happen sooner.

10 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

@BillySee58 how long do you think it will take UNT to get on this level?  I am thinking 5+ years that last requirement will be the one that kills us and wont happen for the longest obviously.

If we roll in Juco players and compare their offer lists coming out of high school it might happen sooner.

I hope in a year or two. Mccarney signed three players with 10+ offers in 2014 (Goree, Miles, Chumley) and two more in 2015 (Dillman and McNair).

The problem has been not enough players with good offer lists. Too many signees with 2 or less other FBS offers. I'd like to see us get to the point where just about every commit has at least as many FBS offers as Donovan, and many with more.

As for JUCOs, it's always different. JUCOs usually don't have the volume of offers that high school kids do, because not every coach is looking for JUCOs at every position, but they are with high school kids.