Reports out that Art Briles will be fired at 11 am

Harry

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

Maybe, but legalese language makes me wonder if they intend to fire for cause. They might end up paying something, but might be looking at $0 as their starting point...

and could be part of the reason that the AD and Starr have to go, also with cause, else no cause for Briles (hypothetically).  Especially if Briles can show that they new.  Then the university gets into a big mess of having to fire every person with cause or risk more lawsuits, which is why in the end it usually ends up being some negotiated settlement and everybody keeps their mouth shut.

None of this is really surprising. It's Baylor. What does it take to get Baylor to become a powerhouse? It had to become a program that sacrificing morals to get wins. remember this is the same place that covered up murder. 

• Upvote 2

Looks like Starr, the uber lawyer, is going to skate with a demotion/reassignment. I hope his new title becomes "Chancellor/Sexual Advisor", his office becomes the broom closet in the law school, and his job description is "When we want your f'n advice we'll send for you!".

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

When you look at how bad this scandal really is, and then you add it to the Patrick Dennehy murder scandal they were already sanctioned for... shouldn't Baylor be looking at some sort of death penalty from the NCAA?  

In between those two, they had their start basketball player, LaceDarius Dunn fracture his baby momma's jaw in two places from a punch--and his discipline was to miss about 3 OOC games at the beginning of the year, which Baylor easily won.

Baylor ain't Penn State---they are the perfect name for the NCAA to absolutely crush. A well-known name, but a very small P5 player. It won't be death penalty, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it being on the level of the initial Penn State sanctions. Penn State got that knocked down because they are Penn State and they are in the B1G. Baylor won't be so fortunate...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

In between those two, they had their start basketball player, LaceDarius Dunn fracture his baby momma's jaw in two places from a punch--and his discipline was to miss about 3 OOC games at the beginning of the year, which Baylor easily won.

Baylor ain't Penn State---they are the perfect name for the NCAA to absolutely crush. A well-known name, but a very small P5 player. It won't be death penalty, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it being on the level of the initial Penn State sanctions. Penn State got that knocked down because they are Penn State and they are in the B1G. Baylor won't be so fortunate...

Don't forget though, Baylor holds power or they wouldn't be where they are now (top of the big12).  Lots of wealth/status in their alumni ranks.

If they get PennSt-level sanctions, don't be surprised to hear of an appeal with a reduction.   The NCAA is worse than Baylor or PennSt when it comes to treating issues like this seriously.

Some voices already trumpeting a one year ban for football. Wow. If the NCAA goes after them it will be for Title 9 violations which would be precedent setting. I just feel so so bad for those women that have, and will continue to, suffer because of this.

1 minute ago, Eagle-96 said:

Some voices already trumpeting a one year ban for football. Wow. If the NCAA goes after them it will be for Title 9 violations which would be precedent setting. I just feel so so bad for those women that have, and will continue to, suffer because of this.

And there are, no doubt, some good upperclassmen kids on that football team that are probably going to be stuck with a punishment that will likely keep them out of any bowl games and they won't be able to transfer out.  There are plenty of victims here (of course, on varying levels... none of which equate to the actual victims of these crimes).

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Looks like Starr, the uber lawyer, is going to skate with a demotion/reassignment.

He was President/Chancellor, he is a faculty member with tenure.

Removing someone with tenure is a bear, there really is no "just cause" clauses that allow you to do it instantly.  They probably moved him to what is a highly ceremonial psition as to not have to deal with the tenure process.  

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And there are, no doubt, some good upperclassmen kids on that football team that are probably going to be stuck with a punishment that will likely keep them out of any bowl games and they won't be able to transfer out.  There are plenty of victims here (of course, on varying levels... none of which equate to the actual victims of these crimes).

So let's say the NCAA gives a one year ban for Title 9 violations. I assume players can transfer without penalty?

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Define "average".    6-6?  No, he can't.   Another 11-1 year?  Sure!

You r right. 7-5 would do. This is the last chance at UT and A&M . If they both stink they will b bidding for him. A&M has the tougher road with the schedule!

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Were PennSt players able to transfer?  I can't remember.

Yes, provided the postseason ban covered their remaining eleigibilty. I seem to recall a sweepstakes of sorts for their stud RB, ended up as USC (west), IIRC.

ETA: yep.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penn-state-rb-redd-transfer-221419258--ncaaf.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=ma

Edited by Army of Dad

Just now, Wag Tag said:

You r right. 7-5 would do. This is the last chance at UT and A&M . If they both stink they will b bidding for him. A&M has the tougher road with the schedule!

I dunno man.   Going from 11-1 to 7-5 in one year would be alarming.   Do I think he'll go 7-5, no.  But Baylor is set up right now to rule the Big12 for a while.  Herman could step in there and immediately win.   I guess it will depend on what kind of sanctions come down.

13 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

That's how the NCAA has handled it whenever a player's team has a postseason ban for the remainder of his/her eligibility.

Wow, if the NCAA comes down hard on Baylor and gives a multi-year post season ban then it would be a bonanza of players on the market with immediate eligibility. 

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I dunno man.   Going from 11-1 to 7-5 in one year would be alarming.   Do I think he'll go 7-5, no.  But Baylor is set up right now to rule the Big12 for a while.  Herman could step in there and immediately win.   I guess it will depend on what kind of sanctions come down.

To c the future of a program look at recruiting. Herman has done great. A&M not so much. Baylor will go this year with exsiting  coaches. If it really bad look for them to impose sanctions on themselves! Title 9 can present some huge legal and funding issues. 

Edited by Wag Tag

25 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

To c the future of a program look at recruiting. Herman has done great. A&M not so much. Baylor will go this year with exsiting  coaches. If it really bad look for them to impose sanctions on themselves! Title 9 can present some huge legal and funding issues. 

And the AD can play a VERY important part in the recruiting.  This needs to be a high priority in the next hire.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

The meatloaf king would have a stroke if they took Herman away.  That name jumps out as the best of the bunch but I think he waits for Strong and Sumlin deal to play out.

My gosh this would be THE meltdown of the century if this happened.

• Upvote 1

Footballscoop reported that Phil Bennett will coach the team in 2016 as an "extended" interim head coach. The rest of the staff will remain as well. I know things can change but that is big news and maybe the only viable option they had this late in the game.